FMX:

Mets Pitcher's ERA by month:

April: 2.96
May: 3.73
June: 4.20
July: 4.50
August: 4.93
September: 5.14

most teams have pitchers who pitch worse and worse as the season goes on .. 5.14 in September?

here is more
batting avg against:
april: .227
may: .220
june: .253
july: .256
aug: .288
sept: .275

I am not saying that i wouldnt want to be in the postseason. I am saying that by following the mets all year and seeing their pitching staff overacheive in the first half and get progressive worse as the season went on, i like most mets fans had little confidence that the mets would do well in the playoffs. No i did not expect them to lose a 7 game lead with 17 to play. But once it was a 4 game lead with 8 to play like i think it was then the confidence level was almost nil

And again, they have a new stadium coming, omar kept willie while management was iffy on it, they need to have a big year next year or omar and willie may both get the axe. and omar knows this. So i expect them to make some big moves in the offseason. And this i am looking foward to
Old 10-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: OT: Official POG Baseball Postseason thread

and i love sabermetric stats as much as the next guy, but i do believe some people are clutcher than others.

FMX:

Game 7 of the world series. bases loaded down by 1 run. ON deck is doug meinkevich. Who do you want up now -- derek jeter or alex rodriguez.

dont look at stats, just answer honestly
Old 10-06-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and i love sabermetric stats as much as the next guy, but i do believe some people are clutcher than others.

FMX:

Game 7 of the world series. bases loaded down by 1 run. ON deck is doug meinkevich. Who do you want up now -- derek jeter or alex rodriguez.

[/ QUOTE ]
Biased question - based on the stats you should take Jeter
Old 10-06-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

FMX:

[/ QUOTE ]

I choose David Ortiz.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

FMX:

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea like Herbie said I'd rather have Jeter here because I bet the stats agree with my guess he's more likely to make contact, run out a grounder, get hit by a pitch... don't need a double or homerun

If it was 2 outs, bottom of the ninth, down by one with nobody on base I'd rather have A-Rod, for sure.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:42 PM

I hate they yankees. I hate jeter. But i admit he is one of the most clutch ballplayers in baseball history, and if you need a hit in a big spot he is one of the top 3 guys in baseball you want up there (yes books ortiz is probably up there too)

jeter hit .322 with a .388 obp and arod hit .314 with a .422 obp

so statistically, arod is more likely to get on base here ldo.
but realistically, every yankee fan would rather have jeter up. and as much as i hate to admit it, i would probably rather have jeter up in that spot than almost anyone in baseball
Old 10-06-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yea like Herbie said I'd rather have Jeter here because I bet the stats agree with my guess he's more likely to make contact, run out a grounder, get hit by a pitch... don't need a double or homerun

If it was 2 outs, bottom of the ninth, down by one with nobody on base I'd rather have A-Rod, for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. i would also rather have a-rod up if we were down by 4 runs instead of 1.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate they yankees. I hate jeter. But i admit he is one of the most clutch ballplayers in baseball history, and if you need a hit in a big spot he is one of the top 3 guys in baseball you want up there (yes herbmeister ortiz is probably up there too)

jeter hit .322 with a .388 obp and arod hit .314 with a .422 obp

so statistically, arod is more likely to get on base here ldo.
but realistically, every yankee fan would rather have jeter up. and as much as i hate to admit it, i would probably rather have jeter up in that spot than almost anyone in baseball

[/ QUOTE ]
OBP other than AVG is getting walked. And I don't know if one player over another has a better chance of getting walked in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded in Game 7 of the WS down by one run.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:48 PM

you know the answer is jeter and you didnt even have to think about it. you trust jeter more to get you a hit there even though their batting avgs were virtually the same

so i dont know what we are really arguing about. cause we both know jeter is super clutch. you are just arguing that arod is not unclutch, that this is just variance and has nothing to do with the pressure of performing on the big stage in the postseason with the yankees. but you said jeter without even blinking, when both have over a .300 lifetime batting average. you didnt even have to think about it

if this was april maybe the answer would be arod though
Old 10-06-2007, 02:53 PM

the difference between jeters and arods batting avg this year, comes out to jeter gets 4 more hits every 500 atbats

so saying its obviously jeter from the stats is nuts
saying its obviously jeter from watching the yanks year after year is acceptable