Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: do you think this internet bill will be effective?
yes 32 29.09%
no 51 46.36%
maybe but not sure 27 24.55%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Kendall traded...

[ QUOTE ]
We don't have a playoff team. I'm not saying this to troll and I'm not saying this because of the 0-2 start. We lost to the Pats, big deal, everyone loses to the Pats. We also lost to one of the best defenses in the Ravens. No big deal, but if we do want to go on a deep run, we're gonna have to face these guys in the playoffs. As you can see from the 7 quarters in which the Jets were dominated, the team just isn't ready. Sure it would be nice to win now but the goal is the Lombardi trophy and it'll take us a couple of years to contend. Winning 7-9 games with Pennington this year doesn't excite me too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have followed the Jets since the days of Richard Todd imagine my angst.

Jets fans had them at 9-7 if they played an injury free mistake free season. I predicted 7-9 unless they get every break known to man, then 9-7 maybe 10-6.

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is with the defense (LDO). A lot of you would probably hate the idea but IMO we need to get rid of Vilma. Especially in Mangini's 3-4, his skills aren't really being utilized properly. Same with Robertson. I would really love it if we started running a 4-3 more often and I think our defense would be A LOT better but I doubt it happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

The defensive unit will gel. Mangini had the position of defensive coodinator with the Patriots before the Jet's job. I trust his coaching skills to get the defense in order.

Miami is exactly what this team needs to get itself riled up. When the Jets went 1-15 we beat the Dolphins.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: The story of six

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone catch the story of why Kelley Clemens's family calls him six?

The dude comes from a family of cowboys or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly, it's something like the sixth generation of cowboys in his family or something of that sort.

Degenerasian- I agree we don't have a deep playoff/superbowl team, but we do have deep playoff/superbowl players (that makes sense, right? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. We have a bunch of young guys that can anchor this team for years (Mangold, 89, Revis[I am comfortable saying this guy is studly], Rhodes, Vilma etc) We have a QB, that has shown he can be IT, some veteran leadership (Coles, TJones, Ellis Hobson), a coach who knows his stuff, and everything thats helpful.

Clemens brings to this team something that we lacked, and thats a thrower. I love Chad for his accuracy, his toughness, but after that 4th quarter, I have a big mancrush on Clemens. He got hit countless times, and he got right back up and stayed in that pocket. If we can get a solid o-line for him, this offense will be great in 2 years. His arm is amazing, has to be one of the best in the league. It looked like he knew what he was doing at all times too, which was nice. Still some small mistakes, but hey, he'll outgrow them. If we don't win the next 2 games, I think we start Clemens, and let him get ready. Happened with Cutler last year, and you saw good progression over the year and into this year.

I think, rather then trading Vilma, we should switch back to the 4-3. I know the 3-4 has a lot more benefits, but we should build that defense around Vilma. He has Ray Lewis or better ability, and he needs to be a New York Jet for LIFE. Our defensive line has gotten more depth, the LB core is good (Harris should be ready in a year or so. I could see him having a Lance Briggs/AThomas type role, but not as preforming as them. Possibly moving him to an OLB). Our secondary is getting stronger, if we can keep Dyson we have two solid corners, and Rhodes is a stud.

BTW- anyone REALLY like Brian Thomas? He is athletic as hell, and seems to be a solid man on this defense.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I remember correctly, it's something like the sixth generation of cowboys in his family or something of that sort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I thought. It shows you he comes from a few generations of tough hard working people. I like that in a quarterback.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree we don't have a deep playoff/superbowl team, but we do have deep playoff/superbowl players (that makes sense, right? . We have a bunch of young guys that can anchor this team for years (Mangold, 89, Revis[I am comfortable saying this guy is studly], Rhodes, Vilma etc) We have a QB, that has shown he can be IT, some veteran leadership (Coles, TJones, Ellis Hobson), a coach who knows his stuff, and everything thats helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something Jets fans have become used to waiting for.

Joe Willie sold the Jets soul to the Devil to win Superbowl III.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone catch the story of why Kelley Clemens's family calls him six?

The dude comes from a family of cowboys or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Degenerasian- I agree we don't have a deep playoff/superbowl team, but we do have deep playoff/superbowl players (that makes sense, right? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. We have a bunch of young guys that can anchor this team for years (Mangold, 89, Revis[I am comfortable saying this guy is studly], Rhodes, Vilma etc) We have a QB, that has shown he can be IT, some veteran leadership (Coles, TJones, Ellis Hobson), a coach who knows his stuff, and everything thats helpful.

Clemens brings to this team something that we lacked, and thats a thrower. I love Chad for his accuracy, his toughness, but after that 4th quarter, I have a big mancrush on Clemens. He got hit countless times, and he got right back up and stayed in that pocket. If we can get a solid o-line for him, this offense will be great in 2 years. His arm is amazing, has to be one of the best in the league. It looked like he knew what he was doing at all times too, which was nice. Still some small mistakes, but hey, he'll outgrow them. If we don't win the next 2 games, I think we start Clemens, and let him get ready. Happened with Cutler last year, and you saw good progression over the year and into this year.

I think, rather then trading Vilma, we should switch back to the 4-3. I know the 3-4 has a lot more benefits, but we should build that defense around Vilma. He has Ray Lewis or better ability, and he needs to be a New York Jet for LIFE. Our defensive line has gotten more depth, the LB core is good (Harris should be ready in a year or so. I could see him having a Lance Briggs/AThomas type role, but not as preforming as them. Possibly moving him to an OLB). Our secondary is getting stronger, if we can keep Dyson we have two solid corners, and Rhodes is a stud.

BTW- anyone REALLY like Brian Thomas? He is athletic as hell, and seems to be a solid man on this defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

A++ post

Seriously this team is good, and can play good teams tough, but really doesn't have the talent of a SB contender - so if the team blows the next 2 games (or perhaps one) then it might be KC time.
Yes Chad is good, he's one of the smartest QB's in the NFL, and is a legitimate winner in this league. I get that but at this moment he isn't the right QB for the team. We all know how Chad good is when he gets the protection but our O-Line is soooo ridiculously bad. If the protection keeps [censored] the bed, then Chad has no chance, he WILL get hurt. And when pressure repeatedly and repeatedly comes, we need a QB that can stretch the defense, otherwise with our O-line it is VERY easy to gameplan against Chad.

Going back to the 4-3 is really the best option for the defense IMO. I can't wait to see what Harris can do for us and how the defense will develop with Revis, Rhodes and Vilma if they are all still here.

Also agree with BT, it's good to see him producing after we spent a 1st rounder on him that should have been Ed Reed.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Kendall traded...

[ QUOTE ]
but IMO we need to get rid of Vilma. Especially in Mangini's 3-4, his skills aren't really being utilized properly. Same with Robertson

[/ QUOTE ]

People have been saying this for 2 years now. The coaches plan is to give them another season and see if they adapt. Vilma had a very good game the other day, and DRob had a good first half.

Let's not turn this into saying the same thing over again, ok?

[ QUOTE ]
. As you can see from the 7 quarters in which the Jets were dominated, the team just isn't ready.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we played elite teams every week you'd have something. But we don't.

Look, its fine if you want to throw in the towel after 2 weeks. But to think it makes any sense is silly. There's 14 weeks of football left and the Jets are in the second year of a massive overhaul. The fact that we made the playoffs last is amazing. But this team is far from a finished product. Both lines still need a helluva lot of work, in terms of both personnel and acclimation to the system. The other glaring need is improved play from our LBs, and play-calling from our coaches.

2 games is nothing. I don't know why you're getting so trigger-happy.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:54 AM

They won't change back to the 4-3. Not happening. I agree that they should have looked at the roster when they came to town, saw number 51 and said to themselves, "How do we put this guy in a position to fulfill his potential?" I completely agree. But it isn't happening.

Re: Harris, he's looked good and I'm looking forward to seeing him in the middle with Vilma for years to come.

Re: BT, he's come on, but I wish the guy had more edge speed. We *really* need an OLD/DE pass-rushing threat. Has anyone seen Bowens in the last 2 games?

Re: Clemens, I too am pleased with what I saw. The toughness and non-fumbles were great. Good arm, he seems to have potential. I just think most fans overrate arm-strength and underrate winning--coaches too, see Boller, Kyle. I know Chad's arm is prob among the weakest in the league, but he's got to be one of the smartest QBs around and--bottom line--when he plays we win.

Its nice to know that Kellen might is capable and could fight for the job next year. Giving him the job now, if Chad is healthy enough to play, would be a huge mistake.

The last thing I want is a coach who gives up after 2 weeks. Bad enough dealing with the fans [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 AM

Looks like Justin Miller is out for the year with a torn ACL. This really sucks for him as his whole game is based on speed and he might never be the same. Leon will probably now return kicks, if not then Cotch, maybe Revis.

Brett - I understand your points of not wanting a coach who gives up 2 games into the season and 2 games being nothing - especially vs. elite teams and I agree with it. I really don't want to stress my points over and over again but all I want is for the Jets to become an elite team. I'd rather start building a championship contender now than being a mediocre-to-slightly better than average team. And we can do this by giving more time to the young guys and speeding up their development.

The time for QB's in the NFL to develop is long and we probably need at least 2 full seasons to see if Clemens is the future of this team. At this point we'll have some key guys with more experience in the system in the prime of their careers. Chad is a good QB who's smarts are only surpassed by his heart, but to be honest we have all seen him at his best. Jets fans want a QB who can reach greatness and it looks like Chad's time is up (ok the coaching staff doesn't think so but like you said, they can't give up 2 games in).

Chad gives us the best opportunity to win now but if we keep getting absolutely crushed by teams we need to beat to win a SB then is it worth it to keep a QB who will probably be gone in a year or 2? This team needs so much help in so many areas that is there any upside to keeping Chad in there? Clemens has got to get in there at some point, whether it's now or the beginning of next season, it should be soon.

I'm not giving up on the season (unless they blow it vs. MIA and BUF) and if they catch every break, they could go 10-6 which would make myself happy that a team like this can make the playoffs. However if they lose one, or god forbid both of the next 2 games my confidence in this team will be at it's lowest point. These next 2 games will make or break the Jets season. Mangini cannot give up now or else he'll get ripped apart by the media. I'm not interested in being a fringe WC team and then getting slapped around in Wild Card Weekend. I want a championship contender and I'll suffer through a couple more years if that's what it takes. After all I'm a Jets fan, I'm used to it :-)

Old 09-18-2007, 11:58 AM

about the defense, the 3-4 isn't bad, but one of the benefits of it are creative blitzes with the extra linebacker...we are not doing much blitzing, so that's not helping much...robertson is going to take a beating through this season as the nose in this system, so who knows how long he holds up...

vilma has a lot of talent obviously, but this system doesn't fit him as he can't be an impact guy on a consistent basis with more guys back there...

that being said, if they would blitz more, or "better", i think we could see a lot of good things come out of this system...
Old 09-18-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
about the defense, the 3-4 isn't bad, but one of the benefits of it are creative blitzes with the extra linebacker...we are not doing much blitzing, so that's not helping much...robertson is going to take a beating through this season as the nose in this system, so who knows how long he holds up...

vilma has a lot of talent obviously, but this system doesn't fit him as he can't be an impact guy on a consistent basis with more guys back there...

that being said, if they would blitz more, or "better", i think we could see a lot of good things come out of this system...

[/ QUOTE ]

About the Jets not blitzing I have seen some weird stats that but they are as follows:

Rush 6+: 15.5% (2nd)
Rush 7+: 4.6% (2nd)
Rush 3 25.4% (1st)

They are blitzing but not too effectively. It was on another forum from an NFL stat company, Pro Football Prospectus 2007

Also, we really have to exclude the NE game from analysis. They beat the SD Chargers by the same score. No fan in their right mind would say the Jets have anywhere near the same talent level as the Chargers. That is telling. The Pats are simply a great team. Unfortunately, the Jets had to play them first and make everyone hit the panic button.

The Jets are still well coached and very young at most skill positions. They got better in every facet of the game in the second half. They can adjust during halftime and in game. It simply took too long for the Offense to figure out the Ravens. That was a matter of going against arguably the best defense in the league with a first year starter at QB.

This FO seems to be drafting very well, which is key in the NFL. The truly elite teams have the advantage of never missing on their top picks, never. When was the last time NE, Colts, San Diego or even the Ravens completely whiffed on a 1st rounder.

Anyway point being how can you panic? This team was not going to be a SB contender this year. There was just too much mess to clean up after the prior 5 years.

There is a lot to look forward to, Revis , Harris, Mangold, Cotchery, Clemens, L. Washington, Rhodes, Vilma, and I will get crucified for this one, I think Brick will be fine as well. They are all young and going to anchor the team. Unfortunately it is going to take another 2-3 years before there is a good enough cast to allow the team to compete with NE, IND, Balt etc. etc.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There is a lot to look forward to, Revis , Harris,Revis Mangold,Revis Cotchery, Revis Clemens, Revis L. Washington, Revis Rhodes,Revis Vilma, and I will get crucified for this one, I think Brick will be fine as well. They are all young and going to anchor the team. Unfortunately it is going to take another 2-3 years before there is a good enough cast to allow the team to compete with NE, IND, Balt etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Clearly, this guy is a studddddd. Yeah, after two games I'm saying it. He's probably one of the better tackling CB's in the league right now, and he is g00t. Now, build the team around him/Vilma/Rhodes, and we got legit defense (hey, it worked for BMore with Lewis/Reed/McCalister, right? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Also, by the time this team is ready for a superbowl run, other teams like NE, Indy will be on the decline (Once they lose Peyton/Brady, you'll see some decline on the team obviously. It won't be easy replacing them). I'm really excited for the future. ( Cue Cartman freezing himself in order to wait for the Wii)