Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much?
$1,000 37 16.97%
$2,000 41 18.81%
$3,000 24 11.01%
$4,000 13 5.96%
$5,000 48 22.02%
$7,000 55 25.23%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Exodus Story In Doubt

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most scholars don't think that there were Jewish slaves in Ancient Egypt. Let alone that they were freed by Moses. Or that he used ten plagues. I'm talking historians, archaeologists, anthropologists, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

After 26 pages, I thought it's time to clear up this part of the assumption. Basically all and if not all then a huge percentage of historians, archeologists, anthropologists, whatever don't know more about the Exodus than the average farmer in Oklahoma.

All the so called experts know is stuff from books written by guys who knew nothing, but found it to be a good income to tell stories about the past that cannot be verified.

The same goes for archeologists. They dig out some old trash and make up some gigantic hype about it to get invited to meetings and write books about it. Those guys are the worst of them all, because they turn ancient egyptian toilet paper into important papyrus letters in hyroglyphs about Ramses II planning his next pyramid in Luxor....

If you don't know anything about ancient history, you are not worse off than those "experts" whos knowledge is based on 50% lies, 30% misinterpretation and 19% pure nonsense.

P.S.: Amongst other things I studied 8 semesters of history and I my own experience was, that some of the professors didn't even know details about World War 2 (and some of them were physically present at the time). If they can't get their facts right on stuff that happend 60 years ago with countless witnesses, how much credit do you give them for stuff 3000 years ago? One could claim that I simply didn't meet enough good professors, but that's not the point. Just look at the literature where all those brilliant minds come together. It's mostly nothing but an "educated" guess. They don't have any clue what they are talking about and they are just profiting from the lack of people willing to argue with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. This is an excellent strategy. I find the same is true of preachers, theologians, doctors, scientists, garbagemen, sports broadcasters, fast food employees, writers, singers, actors, attorneys, accountants, and manicurists.

Surprisingly, almost 100% of bicycle salesman are top-notch.
Read this it may apply to you.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:31 AM

Fact is that most historians are not true researchers in terms of being the first to come a conclusion. Most if not all of their knowledge comes from books and usually it's the same books. Basically they are all parrots who recite a guy they all trust, the author of the specific book. Why do they trust him? Because others have trusted him before...

It's very closely related to religion. A top catholic theologist today has read the bible inside out. He can recite it and he knows everything that was written about it. The problem is that his knowledge is worth nothing, if the stuff written in the bible about miracles and such isn't true.

Ancient history and theology are very similar in one aspect. Since you cannot verify it, you better believe it.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fact is that most historians are not true researchers in terms of being the first to come a conclusion. Most if not all of their knowledge comes from books and usually it's the same books. Basically they are all parrots who recite a guy they all trust, the author of the specific book. Why do they trust him? Because others have trusted him before...

[/ QUOTE ]

that is a very very bad description of how serious historians work. its actually nothing like it. i invite you to read a book by established historians even popular ones such as beevor and i mean read carefully, examine the footnotes, see the way the narration is referenced, go over the bibliography, check out the sources, etc.

youre selling history short and thas not right......

[ QUOTE ]
Ancient history and theology are very similar in one aspect. Since you cannot verify it, you better believe it.

[/ QUOTE ] not true at all as god is my witness......
Old 08-17-2007, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that is a very very bad description of how serious historians work. its actually nothing like it. i invite you to read a book by established historians even popular ones such as beevor and i mean read carefully, examine the footnotes, see the way the narration is referenced, go over the bibliography, check out the sources, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, their knowledge comes from books and lectures = the opinion of other people. It is an endless chain of believing someone elses opinion about the subject.

Once again, just knowing the literature and every published opinion about something is not true knowledge of facts.

Besides that, there is always interpretation. Just look at the interpretation of World War II. If Germany and Japan had won, you can be sure that published history would look quite different. Now just take this as an example for the credibility of written sources, regardless how old they are.

Last but not least, I am overexaggerating to make a point. Of course they are not all fools without a clue. It is just my opinion that their conclusions are highly overrated. Basically they are old men reciting the opinions of other old men, that's all. In many cases the only proof they have is their own authority.