Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 04:18 AM

Default Re: obscure MUST SEE movies

[ QUOTE ]
New York Stories. It's a collection of three shorts(all between 35-50 minutes) done in the 80s with Scorsese, Allen, and Coppola doing them. The Scorsese one, Life Lessons, is worth the DVD alone. The Coppola one is alright, and the allen one is very good. Life Lessons though is the one that really needs to be seen

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean Subway Stories : Tales from the Underground?

Thanks for reminding me of this one. Great film that fits the thread perfectly. I agree it is a must-see.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Harold and Maude qualifies as obscure then Blue Velvet deserves a mention as well. I realize it was relatively big in its day and made a lot of critics top movies of the 1980's list, but I occasionally throw some pop culture trivia in on rounds with my medical students/residents and am constantly surprised at how many of them have never heard of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there was ever a movie that everyone seemed to talk about back then and now nobody seems to mention it then Blue Velvet hits it. Dennis Hopper is the scary creep in this one so he really didn't have to act much.

~ Rick
Old 02-20-2007, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Best Years of Our Lives is a must see. Impressive that this was made so close to the end of WW2 (1946)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is about as far away from obscure as a movie can get. I have a Blockbuster "Greatest Movies of All Time" book handy and it leads off in 1946. Saw it last year on Netflix. IMO it's a great movie that probably would play well to a modern audience, i.e., it isn't dated.

BTW, WW2 ended on Sept 2, 1945. My Dad's Destroyer (USS Walke) was anchored behind the battleship Missouri in Tokyo Bay.

~ Rick
Old 02-20-2007, 07:15 AM

I don't think any of these favorite's of mine were mentioned so far. Perhaps "The Last Seduction" and "Ulee's Gold" aren't that obscure but for some reason most of these movies didn't do all that well in theaters.

One False Move

A Simple Plan

Red Rock West

The Last Seduction

Trees Lounge

Ulee's Gold

A few people mentioned Lone Star. That's one I'd give that one at least five stars.

~ Rick
Old 02-20-2007, 01:59 PM

If Zoolander and other such "wacky" humour tickles your side, then "Protégé de la Rose Noire" will definitely have you cracking up.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:51 PM

Eraserhead, David Lynch--quite bizarre and hilarious look at first dates, marriage, becoming parents.

Tuvalu (1999)

In a desolate and colorless landscape stands a dilapidated bathhouse run by a puffed-up blind man, his long-suffering wife, and their son Anton, who does all the work. He's lonely and unsophisticated, and he falls in love with the beautiful Eva, who comes to bathe with her father. When Eva and her father lose their home, they come to the bathhouse to stay, but bits of the ceiling fall on the old man and he dies. Eva blames Anton, and she seems to seek the arms of the brute Gregor. Can Anton win back her heart, get the bathhouse through a rigorous government inspection, and help keep his parents employed? Waiting out there somewhere is the paradise isle of Tuvalu. Written by {jhailey@hotmail.com}
Old 02-21-2007, 04:00 PM

Kid in the Hall: Brain Candy

God this movie is funny! It contains what I think is the inspiration for Dr. Evil, of course I think both characters are base off of Lorne.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:54 PM

DUEL from 1971

I don't know if this can hardly be classified as obscure as much as it has been on TV, but I rarely encounter anyone that knows about it when these kind of conversations come up. Certainly qualifies as a must see.

This is a very early work of Steven Spielberg that stars Dennis Weaver.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067023/
Old 02-21-2007, 08:00 PM

Series 7: The Contender

Six ordinary Americans are chosen at random to participate in a "reality-based" TV show where contestants must kill or be killed. The winner gains his/her freedom if they survive. The reigning champion, Dawn Lagarto, is eight months pregnant. Brutal. And, the entire "film" was shot as if it were a reality-TV show with icons, graphic lay-overs, and spots for commercial breaks. Have enough "suspension of disbelief" or show it to an unwitting person, and it is easy to mistake it for an actual reality TV show.

As a side, this was pitched the major networks as an actual show to see how far they would go. The responses came back as highly positive, but asking for more sex and less violence (from DVD extras). Fairly obscure, and worth a watch.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:19 PM

Valdez is Coming.

Burt Lancaster as a Mexican sheriff who's forced to kill a man on the whim of the local land baron.

If you like the classic Western 'good guys vs. bad guys' genre, this flick is quite a little gem.