Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: aba is my king
yers 59 60.20%
BASTARD 39 39.80%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone hear Jarvis Cocker's solo album? As a Pulp fan, I'm excited to get a hold of it..

[/ QUOTE ]

Pulp is in my top 10 bands of all time; huge huge fan. The Cocker solo album is a disappointment by those standards, but it's certainly not bad, and has a few pretty good songs. I'd give it 7/10.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:41 PM

For those who like LCD Soundsystem, try giving the Rapture a try. I've read through this thread before, and don't remember them being mentioned. Supposedly they were discovered by LCD Soundsystem as well. They have that same type of "electronic" sound, for lack of a better word at the moment.

http://www.myspace.com/therapture

Also just saw the National Tuesday at Rex Theater in Pittbsburgh. If they are hitting your city, or one close by, definitely check it out, they were amazing and played almost all of Boxer, alot of Alligator, and a few from the S/T. Easily the best show I've seen
Old 06-21-2007, 07:49 PM

This thread is great. I can't wait to start tracking down some of these that I haven't heard before.

If you like Godspeed!, you should definitely check out Labradford (mentioned before) and Do Make Say Think.

One place I go to a lot when I want new music and don't know what to get is Salon. They're mostly a news site, but their Audiofile showcases new (and some old) music. Almost all of it's good, and all is free and legal to download.

I'm really out of the music scene these days. I don't know what is popular anymore, and I hardly hear about new stuff (one reason this thread is so great).
Old 06-22-2007, 01:44 AM

Kill-bot factory

http://www.thekillbotfactory.com/The...ory/MUSIC.html

and, same people, different sound:

eisenhower field day

http://www.eisenhowerfieldday.com/Ei...Day/Music.html
Old 06-22-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who like LCD Soundsystem, try giving the Rapture a try. I've read through this thread before, and don't remember them being mentioned. Supposedly they were discovered by LCD Soundsystem as well. They have that same type of "electronic" sound, for lack of a better word at the moment.

http://www.myspace.com/therapture

Also just saw the National Tuesday at Rex Theater in Pittbsburgh. If they are hitting your city, or one close by, definitely check it out, they were amazing and played almost all of Boxer, alot of Alligator, and a few from the S/T. Easily the best show I've seen

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok this is the last time I will pump in a thread about a band that you may of heard of/know already.

I know that some of you have very good taste in music and may not even consider this to be indie, but they can't be anything else. So here goes:

Shiny Toy Guns
Shiny Toy Guns Myspace

We are Pilots V 3.0

I am a bit of a freak when it comes to music. If you have heard it, then so have I. If they sold more then 100k albums and I haven't heard it, please PM me and I will listen within 48 hours.

The Shiny Toy Guns are a mix of Depeche Mode, New Order, The Rapture (this is why I quoted), The Cure, The Killers and unadulterated rock n' roll.

I heard "You are the one" on M2 about 2.5 months ago and my life basically changed. As, I was sitting on my couch fkn around on my computer and listening to whatever my roommate was flipping through, I heard "YATO" and told him to "go back, what was that". Next I knew I was on youtube listening to the full song, Then I found "Starts with One", then "When They Came For Us". next I knew I was on a plane about a week later to Oklahoma (where two of the members are from) to see them live in a small club co-headlining with "The Rapture". I met the guys (and girl lead singer) and took a short tour along the U.S. with them NOT only to be BLOWN away by there live act, but the fact that these are good people working their asses off to get to there goal. Inspiring isn't the word. To them, this is Religion. They played 278 shows last year and intend on breaking that record this year. This is an unmatched pace for any band to follow.

This is the 3rd version of this album (having finally signed with Universal) they re-did a few songs and took the road by storm in late 2006. They have an aggressive marketing and touring campaign that is spanning the earth because they love it. Yah they will come back to Alaska and the 5 people that went to the last show and you know why.....because those 5 people want to see them again. This is how business is run.

I for one tend to brag about my musical tastes and these guys are about 6 months to 1 year away from greatness. I will be going on tour with them in the UK for 7 nights in July and cannot wait another minute.

The next chance you get, go to Itunes, or your local cd store and get "We are Pilots" by the Shiny Toy Guns. There is something for everyone. You have a dance single, an epic for aliens, a recovery song, enough chorus' to fill your month, and a ton of good synth/rock n' roll. Once you hear it, check em out live. They probably will be playing in a town near you in the next 2 months. Hell, I might even be there!

Thanks for reading.

fyc
Old 06-25-2007, 12:45 AM

Couple things I like recently:

-the Hot Chip DJ-Kicks album. in particular, the first track ("Nitemoves" by Grovesnor) is one of the best songs I've heard all year.
-the new National album.
-the new Justice album. I already really like "D.A.N.C.E." upon early listening.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the new Justice album. I already really like "D.A.N.C.E." upon early listening.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg I have had that song on repeat for the last
3 or 4 weeks.
constantly.

if you haven't heard it, there's a track from last summer, justice vs simian mobile disco - we are your friends (original mix)
it's a great track if you like D.A.N.C.E.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if anyone ever gets a chance to see them live they are amazing.

i saw them in the cornell freshman cafeteria in '03 i think and it was one of the best shows i've ever been to. i drove down from rochester, ended up knowing like 25% of 100 people in the audience from going to shows around upstate ny.

there was no stage, it was just the band standing on the floor and everyone packed in around them. EVERY single person in the crowd was dancing like crazy (for ppl in cali, everyone all the indie kids actually dance on the east coast), so much energy in all their songs and it was great being pack in a small space really close to the band.

the one performance i would compare it to would be LCD soundsystem in terms of energy from both the band and the crowd.

only thing is that i wouldn't recommend going out of your way to see them at a festival, i saw them in miami at ultra festival a couple years ago and it just wasn't the same.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:18 AM

The National's Boxer is the best album of the year and i dont think its even close..
Old 06-25-2007, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The National's Boxer is the best album of the year and i dont think its even close..

[/ QUOTE ]

meh go listen to some leonard cohen, sounds almost exactly the same.

it's a good album but i think calling it album of the yaer and not even close is overboard.

i probably put more weight on innovation than most though.
Closed Thread