Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: BBQ

Today's Woot has an excellent price on remote thermometers.

www.woot.com
Old 05-03-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did 6 slabs of ribs, cooked to perfection, got tons of compliments, personally though, I thought they were way too smoky, I used a couple big chunks of mesquite wood, and personally I dont think I like the mesquite, any other wood suggestions for ribs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like basic Hickery for smoking, although being from Georgia, thats what we smoke with. I've also started to grill on Hickery as well.

When I smoke, I usually do 3 different meats. I'll always do 2-3 racks of ribs, a chicken and usually some kind of beef roast. I like either brisket or eye round. I like my ribs and chicken juicy and my beef sort of medium dry, so the leaner the cut the better. I only like the beef that way cause I love it with some great sause I get from GA which is perfectly spicey for my taste.

Nice work on the Turkey. Bold first move into smoking.

Also as a side note, with or without a rub, I always coat my chicken with olive oil. It helps seal in the juices and prevent it from drying out.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:26 AM

Default \'Smokey Bones\' to close

Link

The Orlando-based restaurant giant Darden Restaurants Inc. is giving up on its Smokey Bones chain, announcing over the weekend that it would close or sell all the barbecue restaurants in the chain.

Not sure if anybody cares about this, but I figured it might as well become part of the record in this thread.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Re: \'Smokey Bones\' to close

[ QUOTE ]
Link

The Orlando-based restaurant giant Darden Restaurants Inc. is giving up on its Smokey Bones chain, announcing over the weekend that it would close or sell all the barbecue restaurants in the chain.

Not sure if anybody cares about this, but I figured it might as well become part of the record in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really didn't like that place too much.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:56 PM

Glad to see a couple folks mentioned Dinosaur BBQ (originally in Syracuse, NY, and also had a location in Rochester, NY where I grew up).

They have recently (last few years) opened a joint in NYC (village, I think), and being how I relocated to NYC a couple months ago, I'm curious if anyone has a review.

I'm no BBQ expert, but Dinosaur BBQ was certainly my favorite restaurant in the world. I do not have experience with BBQ in the "Mecca" locales, so I'd be curious to hear how Dinosaur ranks with the big boys.

Also, I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has been to the Syracuse/Rochester Dinosaur BBQ, and can compare it with the newer NYC location.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad to see a couple folks mentioned Dinosaur BBQ (originally in Syracuse, NY, and also had a location in Rochester, NY where I grew up).

They have recently (last few years) opened a joint in NYC (village, I think), and being how I relocated to NYC a couple months ago, I'm curious if anyone has a review.

I'm no BBQ expert, but Dinosaur BBQ was certainly my favorite restaurant in the world. I do not have experience with BBQ in the "Mecca" locales, so I'd be curious to hear how Dinosaur ranks with the big boys.

Also, I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has been to the Syracuse/Rochester Dinosaur BBQ, and can compare it with the newer NYC location.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

i liked the one in rocester. i've tried to go to the NYC one, but apparently you need to get reservations by wednesday to go on the weekend. also, i think it is in the bronx?
Old 05-10-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

i liked the one in rocester. i've tried to go to the NYC one, but apparently you need to get reservations by wednesday to go on the weekend. also, i think it is in the bronx?

[/ QUOTE ]
I went with my family a few years ago for dinner. At first it looked like a biker bar but the food was delicious and the atmosphere was quite peaceful.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:04 PM

didn't see it posted in the thread, but I apologize if it was. The Hitching Post(check out their website, menu has pics and everything!) in beautiful Casmalia, CA is way out in the boonies by Vandenberg AFB but is easily worth the trip and then some. The place is filled to capacity 7 days a week and reservations are probably a good bet, although if you just show up and take a seat at the bar you'll get a table.

This place has a cool indoor oak buring firepit -inside- the restaraunt to go along with its rustic western atmosphere. Anyways the food is spectacular; aged beef that melts in your mouth, insane BBQ'ed lobster, best I've ever had. They have these BBQ'ed artichokes that you can't stop eating. Everything is delicious there, I always get the Steak and Lobster + BBQ'ed artichokes.

The restaraunt created its own spice mix which sells nationally called Susie Q Brand and is an absolute must for preparing Santa Maria Style BBQ

Sorry I don't have time for a more in depth review, but suffice to say this place is excellent, I read a review posted there from an Oakland, CA newspaper that gave it 4 stars or whatever but stated it was worth the 4+ hour drive for the food!!! There's decent golf in the area guys La Purisma is down the street plus 5 other courses within an hour; Sandpiper, Marshalia Ranch, Rancho San Marcos, Alisal, Cypress Ridge.

cool thread, [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] BBQ
Old 05-11-2007, 08:12 PM

I just got done picking up a 110lb pig, my buddy is having a pig roast tommorow, Im heading out in a bit to help him get the dry rub etc on. He built a nice fire pit, and has a mechanical spit roaster, 10 hours @ 350 is the plan. we are going to do some drinking an concoct a bunch of differnt BBQ sauces including: traditional texas sauce, the various carolinas sauces, and some [censored] up rootbeer sauce he read about. ill get some pics if I can find my digi cam.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:19 PM

We need to get this thread going again. I actually bought an el cheapo brinkman (28$ at walmart) and started smoking a variety of meats about a month and a half ago, thanks to this thread. Even though the ECB is a pain to keep at a constant temp, it still makes delicious food. If I can get a hold of a digicam I'll take pics this weekend. Maybe a separate thread is required for BBQ cooking specifically.