Chicago (H) 10 100.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: OT: [censored] thread, August, READ RULES IN TOP POST

it should not be surprising that:

a) there's risk in bridges

and

b) people use "EV calculations" (although presumably using a different name) to manage the maintenance of bridges
Old 08-02-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ummm....they don't rely on statistics to determine the safety of other bridges do they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. How else could you possibly do it? There's some level of acceptable risk, and some peak load, and some temperature, and some exogenous event (i.e. earthquake, flood, whatever) and they do inspections and plug numbers into some model that may or may not reflect reality.

The more bridges of a certain type, the more real-world data you have to refine your model.

[/ QUOTE ]

Typically they would have established guidelines that are developed from years of research. This would use some combination of theoretical and emperical methods.

However, these guidelines would not be developed based on the past performances of similiar bridges. They would look at various materials and how said materials respond to different conditions. Ie, varying levels and types of loading, environment exposure, etc.

There's a lot more too it. But, my solid mechanics are very weak so I won't pretend to be an expert.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it should not be surprising that:

a) there's risk in bridges

and

b) people use "EV calculations" (although presumably using a different name) to manage the maintenance of bridges

[/ QUOTE ]

Paraphrasing a news report on the latest inspection:

"This bridge is teh suck. If once of those plates cracks, the bridge is BUSTO. But it probably won't happen."
Old 08-02-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ummm....they don't rely on statistics to determine the safety of other bridges do they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. How else could you possibly do it? There's some level of acceptable risk, and some peak load, and some temperature, and some exogenous event (i.e. earthquake, flood, whatever) and they do inspections and plug numbers into some model that may or may not reflect reality.

The more bridges of a certain type, the more real-world data you have to refine your model.

[/ QUOTE ]

Typically they would have established guidelines that are developed from years of research. This would use some combination of theoretical and emperical methods.

However, these guidelines would not be developed based on the past performances of similiar bridges. They would look at various materials and how said materials respond to different conditions. Ie, varying levels and types of loading, environment exposure, etc.

There's a lot more too it. But, my solid mechanics are very weak so I won't pretend to be an expert.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure we're disagreeing. It's a combination of theory, which gives you the model (here's how the material should behave), and practice, which refines it (here's how the material did behave in a similar bridge).

So a unique bridge has two risks: 1.) Theory-only in its construction 2.) Theory-only in its inspection.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 PM

So this kid is 9 years old and he could prolly take me one on one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG47F...dspin%2Ecom%2F

Oh, and he just signed a contract with Man U. lol.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure we're disagreeing. It's a combination of theory, which gives you the model (here's how the material should behave), and practice, which refines it (here's how the material did behave in a similar bridge).

So a unique bridge has two risks: 1.) Theory-only in its construction 2.) Theory-only in its inspection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we're kinda disagreeing.

I'm saying that I don't think actually put accelerometers and other devices to measure/track stress-strain in many (any?) real life bridges? So, all the models and theory are from laboratory based research and applied to the real life bridges.

However, they probably do build scale models to determine some stuff.

Again, I'm not an expert and could easily be wrong.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we're kinda disagreeing.

I'm saying that I don't think actually put accelerometers and other devices to measure/track stress-strain in many (any?) real life bridges? So, all the models and theory are from laboratory based research and applied to the real life bridges.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I know is several people died and traffic is going to be horrific around here for at least a couple years. They better [censored] build the next one way stronger than it needs to be.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man that gramps graph is nuts. Gramps when did the big freefall occur?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's basically all running really hot/really, really cold in the 1100s, or to a lesser extent the 555s (that first upswing was a 300 run of 555s at 25% before I got punked in them for a couple of stretches). My combo ROI for the $114-$335s has been relatively consistent (run like crap in one while running really hot in another, etc.). I'm really, really happy that my ROI in the 1100s is up to ~ -5% over a sample of ~600 or so (I think it's about that number). 500-600 was a good stretch [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. No more stretches of 100 of those where my 4ths > my ITMs.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Google "measure stress bridge" for about 1,820,000 examples. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So this kid is 9 years old and he could prolly take me one on one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG47F...dspin%2Ecom%2F

Oh, and he just signed a contract with Man U. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

freddy adu's cousin ?
Closed Thread