Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 08:30 AM

Default Re: mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters

Not if the two persons are in the same exact positions no. In midge's point these two groups have different rights -and different obligations - there are actually things these people can't say no to that an ordinary person can say no to (very important points when debating military and law enforcement personnel.)

A rock example serves no purpose, sheds no light and if you have a point you can debate it just fine with the real world examples.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not if the two persons are in the same exact positions no. In midge's point these two groups have different rights -and different obligations -

[/ QUOTE ]

What is different about them? Where do these dsifferent rights come from? If you're just saying they can legitimatly have a gun because they have the right to have a gun whereas someone else can't because they don't you're just posting a tautology and wasting everyone's time. What makes that one human different from another human in the way that a helium ballon is different from a lump of granite they have different molecular structures.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 AM

Because they have extended obligations, forcefully binding ones to put their own safety at risk if necessary or be punished if refusing.

Whatever tools they can use legally is the tools society politically installs them with - which I what I guess you refer to as extended rights. It isn't feudalism. If you disagree with what they can do, then work to change it - it is your right to do so if you wish.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because they have extended obligations, forcefully binding ones to put their own safety at risk if necessary or be punished if refusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I have a gun if I put mys own safety at risk? How much of a potential risk do I have to be under before I can have a gun and how is that legitimatly decided?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Can I have a gun if I put mys own safety at risk? How much of a potential risk do I have to be under before I can have a gun and how is that legitimatly decided?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Whatever tools they can use legally is the tools society politically installs them with - which I what I guess you refer to as extended rights. It isn't feudalism. If you disagree with what they can do, then work to change it - it is your right to do so if you wish.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-16-2007, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I hold a vote and decide that I can have a gun then I can have one?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 AM

I don't oppose your right to a gun, I'm for gun rights.

If you live in country where it wasn't so, you would be violating the laws and would take your punishment - pending on the country I'd sometimes support that and sometimes not.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you live in country where it wasn't so, you would be violating the laws and would take your punishment - pending on the country I'd sometimes support that and sometimes not.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the criteria you use when deciding which to support? Personal preference?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the criteria you use when deciding which to support? Personal preference?

[/ QUOTE ]

The legitimacy of the laws - what rights you have as a citizen and their outcome.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The legitimacy of the laws - what rights you have as a citizen and their outcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes a law legitimate? Who determines which rights are correct?