Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Torre is back

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Steinbrenner and management should have just not offered him a new contract if they didn't want him back. The one year contract with a pay cut and incentives was insulting. There was no need to insult him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop with the [censored] "insult" talk... unless you are related to Torre. He received a generous offer and the type of offer he deserved given the results he has achieved with the players he has been given over the past several years. He had the right to reject it. No one should be insulted and no one was wrong or wronged. It was time for Torre and this team to go in different directions.

[/ QUOTE ]

While the money was generous, the one year term was not. The Yankees offered him more money than any other manager, but on a deal way shorter than any other manager (typically they get three years). The shortness of the deal was so the Jr. Steinbrenners could fire him at a whim any time next year, during the stretch run, all star break, or even spring training with minimal financial pain. It said, "Joe, we don't trust you and we plan to fire you as soon as you have a losing streak". Given what Joe's done, that's insulting. It's insulting to give an offer to Joe that's he clearly can't accept.

Just do the right thing, thank him for his service and move on. Don't pull these stupid PR moves.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at those of you critical of Torre's results, recent or otherwise. It's a high variance sport and the first round is 3-5 games long. F the 162 games right, it's the playoffs that count?

[/ QUOTE ]

His results are fine. In 12 years, they made the playoffs 12 times and won the WS 4. Thats running hot if anything.

The people who are calling him a bad manager are not basing it on results. They are basing it on the very suboptimal decisions he sometimes makes. Torre's results are obv very good and he has run hot over the course of his career.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:43 AM

Wow I know this forum usually thinks a lot different than me but there are some really bad arguements and such in this thread.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow I know this forum usually thinks a lot different than me but there are some really bad arguements and such in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope mines one of them! Btw what is the point of this type of post? How am I supposed to know if I'm stupid or not if you arent more specific?