Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]

3- I don't really feel like she did enough with Snape to earn "kid's middle name" status back from all the bad stuff he did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Yes, he was a death eater and yes he did tell Voldermort about the prophecy (but didn't know it refered to the Potters at the time). On the other hand, he
1 - Was a life long friend of Harry's mother.
2 - Begged for Harry's mom's life.
3 - Put himself if mortal peril by going to Dumbledore when V refused to let Lilly live.
4 - Put himself in mortal peril everyday for years by lying to Voldermort.
5 - Took orders from DD for 17 years.
6 - Performed missions, gathered info for the order of the pheonix.
7 - Killed DD on his orders.

I think you can easily make the case he got screwed because he only got middle name honours.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nope. It's already been said, it's a fairly large plothole that house elfs can do all sorts of magic, and yet they're not being used by wizards

[/ QUOTE ]

The wizards were too proud to even contemplate the possibility of a mere house elf being able to magic that they could not. But Harry actually cared about the lesser creatures like house elves and goblins.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:21 PM

Wow this book was amazing. Shoots to the top of the rankings for the HP books. I loved how she tied up things with Snape at the end.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:41 PM

Dont remember if this was ever pointed out, but by far teh most badass part of the book was when Harry starts calling Voldy Tom Riddle at the end.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:10 AM

I haven't read all the replies so forgive me if this is repetitive.

1) I loved the symbolism in the story of the Tales of the Beetle Bard. It seems like the tales are a parallel to the Harry Potter series. They are only as real as you believe them to be.

2) The action scenes. Every scene of intense action had you wondering who would die. The scene leaving Privet Drive in particular was great reading.

3) Dumbledore's past. I'm glad she wove Grindelwald and Aberforth back into the story and we got a complete picture of Dumbledore's life and motivations.

4) Dobby's Death. I thought the scene following his death was one of the best in the entire series. The first two deaths in the series you have Harry is sort of overwhelmed with grief and anger. The third (Dumbledore) you see Harry learning to cope with death. Dobby's death was so unexpected and unusually cruel; but you see Harry at his best. He is digging the grave for Dobby and is embracing the love and grief he feels. "Here lies Dobby. A free elf."

5) The walk to meet Voldemort. One of the most emotional scenes in the entire series. I agree with a previous poster that ending it after the King's Cross chapter would have been the greatest ending ever; but you can't help but think that Harry is really going to die as he walks to meet Voldemort. It is the realization of Harry as a true epic hero.

Dislikes:

1) Ron leaving the tent. We have already seen this side of Ron in Goblet of Fire. It was more plausible and real to me in the fourth book. It doesn't seem in character to me that Ron would run out just because things weren't going his way. Ron abandoned Harry in the fourth book because he thought Harry had betrayed him and entered his name into the Goblet without telling Ron. I didn't think Ron would run out just because things looked bleak. Yes the locket played a part; but I thought the whole scene was contrived and out of character.

2) Snape. Who didn't see this coming? Sure we got the Pensieve scene; but he was the most interesting character in the whole series. I expected more.

3) Epilogue. It felt like she tacked it on to satisfy the reader. We don't need to be told that Ron marries Hermione or that Harry marries Ginny.

My final thoughts on the Potter series are that it is really two separate stories. The first four books are Harry as a child. The fourth book ends his childhood with the death of Diggory and the re-emergence of Voldemort. The last three books are Harry's becoming a man.

My favorite scene in the entire series is Christmas on the Closed Ward in book five where we see Neville's parents. It was the most emotional scene for me as I have a relative with Alzheimer's.

My ranking of the books:

1) Goblet of Fire
2) Prisoner of Azkaban
3) Deathly Hallows
4) Half Blood Prince
5) Sorceror's Stone
6) Chamber of Secrets
7) Order of the Phoenix
Old 07-29-2007, 06:32 AM

Anybody who has some familiarity with Harry Potter fan fiction and the absurdity of shippers should enjoy these two images I came across.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:05 PM

I can buy the sword appearing given the hat's own magical power. I guess. Not sure how you can explain Kreacher getting there, but the image of dozens of mad, cleaver-wielding elves attacking the Death Eaters is a decent tradeoff, IMO. Let's say Winky spotted Harry and got in contact with Kreacher to tell him his master needed help.

I liked the book a lot, but I think it was a further departure from the last entry than any of the other books were from their predecessors. The scene with the bodies of Tonks and Lupin bothered me, but I can't say exactly why. I guess I felt like there was a lot of killing off of characters for no particular reason in the book, especially after three consecutive books where a single death in each was pretty startling. The good guys keep dying without a single Death Eater eating death until Wormtail strangles himself, which I'm still not clear on. Hesitation I can see; turning that into strangling himself not so much.

I still don't get Fred's death, as Percy was standing right next to him (I think), and we have no idea what killed him. Once that happened, I was half expecting one of the Patil twins to get offed and have the survivor eventually hook up with George. Maybe I was expecting Rowling to be a bit more poetic in tying things up rather than just giving us "And they lived happily ever after" at the end. We really didn't learn anything from that last bit other than what the two couples who we already knew would be couples named their kids. We don't even know if Neville and Luna end up together.

I can buy Dobby getting killed even though I didn't like it. But with his death, I think it would've been infinitely more satisfying to have Kreacher avenge him by killing Bellatrix rather than the seemingly random choice of Molly Weasley. Neville killing her seemed like it would be too predictable to actually happen. Once Gran showed up to kick ass and chew bubblegum I thought she would be the one to do the deed, but no dice.

Not sure how Grawp, brought to the forest so he would no longer get his ass beaten by bigger giants, would consistently win fights against them. Also not sure why nobody would think to cast the spell that would make him bigger.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:09 PM

grawp was just pissed they were beating on his brother. he got extra revenge fueled strength.

yeah alot more ppl died in this book, but there was alot more fighting.

I do wish they would have killed more death eaters.

Harry could have asked kreacher to teleport to him. Only reason he didnt earlier was because he thought the death eaters could track kreacher, which wouldnt matter anymore once they were starting a war.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:42 PM

OK Dynasty, I just tarded "shipping" and read the wiki. LOLOLOLOLOL. You do recall the most famous Harry-Hermione shipper of them all, don't you? Jane Pauley on the Today Show.

She's interviewing JKR a few years ago. She's all, "ZOMG Harry & Hermione for-ev-ERSSS!" JKR goes, "Eh, you really think so?"

Agreed, the HH ship is the most absurd annoying thing even remotely connected with the series. Not even the slightest evidence to support it anywhere in the books, and overwhelming evidence against it everywhere in them.

And I can't imagine why anyone would want it to begin with. Something only a network TV junior assistant executive intern could love.

LOL that image is hilarious, thanks for posting it.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just finished it. I loved it. I liked the epilogue too. It gives some sort of closure and peace, and I just really like the whole love/friendship/loyalty thing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thoughts.

Although, i will admit to crying in 3 different parts of the book (lol, I'm a femme, hello!)... 1) Obv, Hedwig , 2) The memory of Harry's parents last moments. 3) When Dobby died. I loved Dobby

[/ QUOTE ]

No tears here, but I'll admit that the painting on Luna's bedroom ceiling shook me a bit.