Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

Over how many SnGs would you have to break even before you would just consider offing yourself? I think I'm getting close.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:18 PM

Great thread and thanks again for doing this.

1) Talk Talk? Yes? No? Maybe so? Laughing Stock? Perfect? Bastard?
1a) Have I cooled myself up by mentioning them?

2) How true is what you wrote in the problem with music today? Are most of those pitfalls easier to avoid because of less expensive equipment? Just curious.

Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Thanks for answering. I won't bother you again.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:46 PM

I grew up in the 80s listening to Pussy Galore, Big Black and Sonic Youth and their ilk (the sst bands, the T&G bands, etc.). It seemed like all those bands were fellow travelers, there was a legitimate scene. It seemed like, post-Nirvana, a scene of that sort was no longer possible and a sort or "are you with us or are you with them?" mentality sprung up. You and SY had some public bad blood, as did many of the underground bands that comprised that American underground 80s network. As a participant in this small historical moment (now long dead), what happened?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. If your cats could play poker, what kind of players would they be?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lame question.

Pip: Lesbian grinder
KP: Matusow
Mandela: Prone to card tearing, fits of cursing and other Asian lady outbursts.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Have you ever fantasized of closing your studio and running and underground card room instead?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not today, no. Yesterday about 12 times. Thursday, continuously. Wednesday 16 times. Continuously through the month of June. At least twice daily prior.

[ QUOTE ]
3. How much of a chip advantage do you think you would need in a heads-up, winner-take-all stud death-match vs. Phil Ivey?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd need odds on the money and 10:1 in chips, assuming the ante was fixed. In a tournament format with rising antes, give him 5BB and me 15BB and I'll take my chances.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Over how many SnGs would you have to break even before you would just consider offing yourself? I think I'm getting close.

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, SnGs? I'll say... Two. Yeah, if I broke even after two SnGs I'd figure my work there was done.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:37 PM

Thanks for your work with Shannon Wright, esp. Over the Sun (one of my top favs). Any thoughts on those sessions?

What are your thoughts about recording bass guitar? Direct/mic/both? Some have written that you like to bury it.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:47 PM

1.Whats your opinion on this statement that Bob Dylan made last year:

"I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past 20 years, really," ... "You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them. There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like ... static."

2.Who do you think your going to vote for in the upcoming presidential election?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread was intended for the regular readers of this particular forum, which is a specific population of 2+2 readers who have wide-ranging interests, but are comrades in the poker/gambling culture. The thread leaked out into the general population, including music fan dorks who have no interest in this forum or site other than this rare moment when it happened to overlap into their world. The regular participants in this forum feel like you "civilians" are trespassing here, gawking, and are a nuisance.

[/ QUOTE ]
So yeah, I've been following this thread and enjoying it, but as usual I couldn't be bothered to post. This brought me out though. Mr. Albini, I like your style.

Now that I'm here, I figure I might as well ask you a few questions.

1. For some reason, Shellac and Sonic Youth are inexplicably mixed up in my brain. Actually, I know why they're mixed up - the same woman introduced them to me. After an unhealthy obsession with her, I currently have an unhealthy obsession with Sonic Youth. I do hope Shellac won't be next. But uhm, I'm rambling - better think of a question: did you ever work with Sonic Youth in any capacity?

2. Over/under on when CarlosChadha kills himself for being stupid enough to take that $100 bet?

3. How many 5 year olds?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Talk Talk? Yes? No? Maybe so? Laughing Stock? Perfect? Bastard?

[/ QUOTE ]
Though highly-regarded in recording circles, I've always thought the Talk Talk records were exercises in making the simple complicated, and like turning left three times instead of turning right, they seem ridiculous and don't really hold my interest.

I admit to having my palate dirtied by having first heard the horrible new-wavy pop MkI version of the band, and also having heard the equally-retarded punk version of the band (named the Reaction) doing the song "Talk Talk," so I couldn't really give the band a fair hearing.

[ QUOTE ]
1a) Have I cooled myself up by mentioning them?

[/ QUOTE ]
In the eyes of the record store guy, yes, of course. Throw in a reference to the High Llamas and you'll hit a home run.

[ QUOTE ]
2) How true is what you wrote in the problem with music today? Are most of those pitfalls easier to avoid because of less expensive equipment? Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is certainly possible to avoid the mainstream industry altogether, but that would have been my advice 15 years ago as well. It remains that if you get involved with the mainstream music business, even today, you're screwed.