Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: The Well: curtains 3/2/07

Btw, I don't think 6-max SNGs are as different as you think they are. Mostly you just wait for the poker-player guys to blow themselves up. I walk into the money on the 6-mans all the time. But there are some dynamics to a 3-way bubble situation that you need to know how to play well, and situations that are worth taking extra risks to avoid (like being shorty on the bubble against 2 solid players).
Old 03-05-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What chess opening is all the rage now? What’s the main way to study and learning openings these days? (When I started it was MCO 9)

Is the Dragon Variation played out yet?
(Define played out as 1700's know the first 34 moves of theory in 4 different lines)

What are the three most influential chess books you’ve read?
Favorite famous game?
Are universal systems still seen at all about the 2400 level as in Colle, London, Zoom 001 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dragon is still fine, but not great at the highest levels. I'm sure I could get away with it against sub 2500 players though.

My favorite chessbooks were all the Dvoretsky books I guess. I dunno that's a tough question, was rarely a giant fan of any books.

It's very rare that you see the Colle or London in games of higher rated players, and Ive never heard of Zoom 101 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

YaacovN on ICC, who is a very good blitz player, plays the Colle every game with the white pieces. You might want to check out his games.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:41 PM

I played the Colle exclusively and Yusopaw or whoever (who may be YaacovN on ICC I dno) plays it at the highest levels.

Of course I was never good enough for it to matter....and Koltanowski was a dear friend of mine so I wouldn't want to abandon it anyway!

Curtains - on a scale from 1 - SUPERAWESOME where would you put Kolti?

Yugoslav
Old 03-05-2007, 07:07 PM

Curtains,

On a scale from amusing eccentric - harmless weirdo - dangerous psychopath where would you put Yugo?

By special request, I'm adding the alternate description of commie-pinko-f.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played the Colle exclusively and Yusopaw or whoever (who may be YaacovN on ICC I dno) plays it at the highest levels.

Of course I was never good enough for it to matter....and Koltanowski was a dear friend of mine so I wouldn't want to abandon it anyway!

Curtains - on a scale from 1 - SUPERAWESOME where would you put Kolti?

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

7?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Curtains,

On a scale from amusing eccentric - harmless weirdo - dangerous psychopath where would you put Yugo?

By special request, I'm adding the alternate description of commie-pinko-f.

[/ QUOTE ]

harmless psychopath
Old 03-05-2007, 07:21 PM

Agree with Kasparov over Fischer! Brag: My Dad played Fischer; Beat: He lost ...

Have you ever played Bridge? I rank the main strategy games in this order of difficulty: Backgammon; Chess; Poker; Bridge. Agree?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree with Kasparov over Fischer! Brag: My Dad played Fischer; Beat: He lost ...

Have you ever played Bridge? I rank the main strategy games in this order of difficulty: Backgammon; Chess; Poker; Bridge. Agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely disagree by a mile. Im quite sure I could be very competant in backgammon in a few months, based on the little I know about the game. Chess is much harder IMO and its not even remotely close.

Most people on this forum whom have never played chess would have very little chance of ever becoming a master. Meanwhile a lot of them could become very good backgammon players IMO.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:31 PM

I agree that Chess and Go are 2 of the hardest games.

I think Bridge is much easier.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:07 PM

Regarding the Zoom 001, figured I'd do a quick search... Not so easy... found very few details and $150 price tag on Amazon... [ QUOTE ]
He used the Grunfeld Defence (1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5) with success, and co-authored a groundbreaking 1979 book on this opening and similar structures with Steffen Zeuthen (ZOOM 001 -- Zero Hour for Operative Opening Modules)

[/ QUOTE ]
Basically he pulls the Center Counter, Grunfeld, and the Alekhine together as one system. Its more learning to play the same concepts as black and white based on the pawn structure. A theory book without theory....
I assume you have "Domination in 2545 Endgame Studies" memorized... j/k....