Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Weihenstephaner

[ QUOTE ]
As for a review (well, a mini review at least) I had a bottle of Trader Joe's Vintage Ale 2006 this past weekend. Evidently they've had these the past few years but I don't shop there enough. Brewed by Unibroue.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unibroue is brewing a beer labeled for Trader Joe's?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:31 AM

anybody ever try FFF's Dark Lord? It would be cool to get my hands on some.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:44 AM

Good luck, I believe there is less Dark Lord made than Westvleteren 12 (which I was lucky enough to have had once).

No clue how I would ever get Dark Lord. I think people camp out for it.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:50 AM

Every year near the end of April, Three Floyd's has "Dark Lord Release Day." There's a limit on how much people can buy that day and then afterwards I think it can be purchased at the brewery. Despite how expensive I've heard it is, I would certainly go on a road trip for it with some good friends, or even just people who like good beer.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:02 AM

Yea I'm thinking about going. The only problem is I'm the only one of my friends who doesn't drink busch/bud/miller. When they see the beer I drink they think I'm weird.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unibroue is brewing a beer labeled for Trader Joe's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Evidently they've done it for the past few years. I guess it's an end of the year release.

I don't know who brews their regular stuff (lager, hefeweizen, etc) but I'm pretty sure it's not Unibroue.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:56 PM

Wow. So Unibroue is brewing a beer for Trader Joes that runs just $5 for a 750 mL 9% ABV beer? That's ridiculous. I'd probably go buy out their stock, and I wouldn't even have to try a sip before doing it. Too bad I don't have a Trader Joe's near me. Their 2-3 Buck Chuck might be a somewhat better buzz for your dollar, but there's no way that the cheap wine is as good for drinking as good beer.

P.S. Have you tried the Trois Pistoles? Is that the sort of thing this beer is?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:35 PM

According to Ratebeer, the Vintage Ale is an abbey dubbel.

Trader Joe's Vintage Ale 2006

Though I can't say I've had anything in that style just yet, next time I'm in the city I'll have to hit up a Trader Joe's and buy some. Sounds like a sweet deal.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:13 PM

Default Gulden Draak

I went to the grocery store yesterday to do some recycling. My brother and I had accumulated quite a few cans and ended up with $12. Fortunately, the local beer store is right by the grocery store, so of course, I had to use our newly acquired money. I came across some Gulden Draak in the store and decided to give it a try. It was pretty steep at $5 for an 11.2 oz. bottle, but I knew I had to buy one. Perhaps it would taste better in its true home...

As you can see, it poured a nice red/brown into the glass. I could hear the fizzing as soon as I uncapped it. It smelled of caramel and berries, appropriate for a dessert beer such as this. Had a nice sweet taste to it, but not too sweet. The mouthfeel was wonderful; so rich and creamy. As it warmed up I got more of a whiff and taste of the alcohol. Certainly to be expected in a brew that's 10.5% alcohol. Interestingly, the 4-pack box calls it a Belgian Dark Triple Ale and barley wine. Who needs semantics anyway? Though it probably wasn't quite worth the $5 I spent, it was pretty good and I'm glad I gave it a try. I give Gulden Draak a slight edge over Maudite because I think the flavor was much fuller and richer: 4.1 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] s
Old 12-01-2006, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Gulden Draak

REVIEWW: GREAT DIVIDE BARLEY WINE

LOTS OF FLAVOR AND HOPS AND KIND OF BITTER, BUT LOTS OF FLAVOR AND ITS STRONG. I JUST DRANK TWO BIG BOTTLES AND THEY WERE GOOD. ACTUALLY I THINK I HAS A SPECIFICAL NAME, BUT I CAN"T REMBEMER WHAT IT IS. BUT THIS IS A GOOD BEER>