75001-100000 5 7.58%
100000-150000 7 10.61%
>150000 12 18.18%
dont care /resutls please 17 25.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: *official 2007 red sox thread*

[ QUOTE ]
I'm praying that when Manny comes back Jacoby plays over Drew - $14 mil or not he's beyond terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember early in the 2004 playoffs, when I said the same things about Damon and Bellhorn, who looked over-matched every time up.

They snapped out of it, and became huge contributors to the cause. Drew will, too.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still trying to figure out where the power in the lineup is going to come from when Manny's contract expires and our outfield is Ellsbury/Coco/Drew.

First MLB outfield evar to hit less than 30 HR combined?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see us trading coco in the off-season..Ellsbury is definitely ready now and should start next season

[/ QUOTE ]

premature IMO

small sample size etc
Old 09-07-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I called him up and told him I was gonna be at tonight's game. I'm fairly sure he's gonna be in the lineup because of that, ldo

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not a cooler like SeaSiren, I hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I was at the game. O's (hO's fans) are the worst. at camden yards if you get really drunk people look at you funny (especially when you're yelling at JD Drew GIDP). At Fenway you fit right in and have a great time. Thankfully I had some Red Sox fans who took the seats in front of me, and some who were sitting behind me. I was so pumped when ellsbury came to the plate. Ortiz hit a bomb, pedro did a solid job, coco was hittin seeds all night, J-Va came through, and Paps closed it out. What a great damn game to go to...I guess I'm good luck or something?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:45 AM

oh yea, I was at the bar Slider's across the street from Camden Yards at like 6:55. Me and the three girls I was with were gonna get some student tickets. So I start walking up to the ticket booth and this white guy is like "I got tickets" and I'm all like "no thankyou sir we're going to pur-..." then he says "for free...4 tickets" and I was on it like stink on a monkey. The tickets he gave me were like 15 rows back from home plate, maybe a 20 degree angle looking at home plate. What a [censored] awesome night
Old 09-07-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still trying to figure out where the power in the lineup is going to come from when Manny's contract expires and our outfield is Ellsbury/Coco/Drew.

First MLB outfield evar to hit less than 30 HR combined?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see us trading coco in the off-season..Ellsbury is definitely ready now and should start next season

[/ QUOTE ]

really, you SEE that happening? i will lay you decent odds that it doesn't happen....ill let you name a price and we can go from there.

i mean this will kill my bet, but why on gods green earth would the red sox want to trade crisp at this time? his #1 asset is his defense and defense has been shown to be vastly under appreciated by the large % of baseball teams. hes also fairly cheap and is probably a better hitter than we have seen. not to mention the other two starting OF's are either playing horrifically and/or have developed apparent habits of missing chunks of games at a time.

ellsbury can be on the 'bench'next year and still get 400 PA's w/o much trouble IMO.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:54 AM

theres no way coco gets traded this offseason

manny, coco and ellsbury are probably all within one win of each other for 2008. if a smart team is going to be compelled to trade one of them its gonna be the one that ppl think is an mvp candidate, not the two that are perceived as serviceable starters
Old 09-07-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

manny, coco and ellsbury are probably all within one win of each other for 2008. if a smart team is going to be compelled to trade one of them its gonna be the one that ppl think is an mvp candidate, not the two that are perceived as serviceable starters

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand the ellsbury love and all, but this is a guy who put up a .738 ops in AAA this year. are we really ready to put him on manny ramirez' level?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:10 PM

i dont erally think ellsbury is much of a hitter. he'll probably be like .280/.340/.380 or so next year in the majors. but hes also probaly like 40 runs a year better than manny on defense
Old 09-07-2007, 12:14 PM

also defensive runs saved are worth more int he sense that a team that scores 1000 and allows 900 will win less games than a 800-700 team but also theres value in tricking opposing GMs into thinking ur decent #4 starter is a solid #2 starter
Old 09-07-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand the ellsbury love and all, but this is a guy who put up a .738 ops in AAA this year. are we really ready to put him on manny ramirez' level?

[/ QUOTE ]

certainly not very close to peak Manny. but I worry that Manny is on the fast backside to his career. this is his worst season as full time pro, by a pretty good margin. .eqa of .306, compared to a career average of .332 and a peak average of around .340.

the odds he is worse next year are pretty good, though even 36 YO declining Manny is better than Ellsbury at this point. but you're maybe comparing a terrible LF with a .300 eqa with a very good LF with a .270 ish .eqa