75001-100000 5 7.58%
100000-150000 7 10.61%
>150000 12 18.18%
dont care /resutls please 17 25.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: *official 2007 red sox thread*

[ QUOTE ]
I stand by my statement that they overpaid for him. Why were the Dodgers so happy to let him go? Did you read about any team, any team whatsoever saying we really tried to get Drew but the Red Sox just outbid us for him? No, because there wasn't a single team outthere besides the Sox interested in him at big bucks.

I'll pose this one for you. This offseason, if the Sox let it be known that Drew can be had for nothing and they will pick up $ 4 million per year of his salary. There will be no takers.

[/ QUOTE ]

how can you stand by a statement that has been proven to be incorrect???

FACTS:

the dodgers paid ~11m a year for him in 05....11 million.

in 05 and 06 combined, he was worth a little less than soriano and a little more than carlos lee (if he wasnt injured in 05, probably at least equal to soriano, but he was hurt so hey that counts).

in 2007:

lee signs a deal worth 16.6m a year for 6 years
soriano signs a deal worth 17m for 8 years
drew signs a deal worth 14m a year for FIVE years

guess what? he wasnt overpaid....he was underpaid.

sorry, you are wrong. you can continue to disagree, but it doesnt matter. i just showed you in a very simplistic way how he wasnt overpaid this past offseason.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 AM

also where do you get the idea the dodgers were happy to let him go? it was the opposite actually. stop reading the onion for your baseball news.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:47 AM

I already gave up on the arguement, no need for the World's leading authority to pile on.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think the manny money is more likely to come off the books this year than the schilling money.

dream offseason: trade manny for whichever undervalued young player the angels/dodgers wanna give up, give his job to ellsbury and sign arod <3 <3 <3

[/ QUOTE ]

I reallllllly don't want to root for A-Rod. I'm already expending myself rooting for Drew.

[/ QUOTE ]
i root really hard for arod to get injured these days but its basically 100% bc hes a yankee. he was one of my favorite players before that. its not like hes someone truly evil like jeter

[/ QUOTE ]

see, I could root for Jeter. I like Jeter, except the fact he's on the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could probably root for Jeter before A-Rod, but I wouldn't be all that happy about either. Since A-Rod's contract talks have been up in the air my roommate has been hoping the Sox get him, and we constantly disagree about it.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I stand by my statement that they overpaid for him. Why were the Dodgers so happy to let him go? Did you read about any team, any team whatsoever saying we really tried to get Drew but the Red Sox just outbid us for him? No, because there wasn't a single team outthere besides the Sox interested in him at big bucks.

I'll pose this one for you. This offseason, if the Sox let it be known that Drew can be had for nothing and they will pick up $ 4 million per year of his salary. There will be no takers.

[/ QUOTE ]

FACTS:

in 05 and 06 combined, he was worth a little less than soriano and a little more than carlos lee (if he wasnt injured in 05, probably at least equal to soriano, but he was hurt so hey that counts).

in 2007:

sorry, you are wrong. you can continue to disagree, but it doesnt matter. i just showed you in a very simplistic way how he wasnt overpaid this past offseason.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Drew's chronic injury problems and inability to play near-full seasons? Shouldn't that diminish his value enough to make the $14 million paid excessive?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could probably root for Jeter before A-Rod, but I wouldn't be all that happy about either. Since A-Rod's contract talks have been up in the air my roommate has been hoping the Sox get him, and we constantly disagree about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, I want what's best for the Sox. And let's face it, A-Rod would be great for the Sox. So I would probably tuck my 'A-Rod sucks' tshirt away and buy a 'A-God' shirt to wear, and I'd cheer for him everyday, but I still wouldn't 'like' him.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about Drew's chronic injury problems and inability to play near-full seasons? Shouldn't that diminish his value enough to make the $14 million paid excessive?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. that does explain part of the discount, however.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FACTS:

in 2007:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he was taking injuries into account for all 3 of those players
Old 09-05-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FACTS:

in 2007:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he was taking injuries into account for all 3 of those players

[/ QUOTE ]

The other two have been significantly healthier. Drew's about as fragile as Chipper Jones.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:10 PM

Soriano & Lee had both been healthier but much worse hitters.