Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Bad Moments in Great Films

[ QUOTE ]

Now, The Hustler IS a great movie, and thinking a bit about it...

Eddie: "You're a small-time Charlie!"

Not good.

Of course, it's more than made up for by such gems as this exchange:

Eddie: "We really put the knife in her."

Fats: "Shoot pool, Fast Eddie."

Eddie: "I am shooting pool, Fats. When I miss, you can shoot."

And my favorite, with Paul Newman really delivering:

Eddie: "Boy, you better, you tell your boys they better kill me, Bert. They better go all the way with me, 'cause if they just bust me up, I'll put all those pieces back together again, then so help me... So help me God, Bert, I'm gonna come back here and I'm gonna kill you."

Brrrr. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gonna have to disagree. I don't find any of these parts to be a "bad moment."
Old 09-05-2007, 01:52 AM

Just watched The Third Man, one of my favorite films in the world - but man are there some classic movie cliche lines in it. One that stuck out was, "You're wrong about Harry, you're wrong about everything." Ugh.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:19 AM

Waingro, it's a surname. Heat isn't a great film, but if it was this thread would be full of terrible scenes from it. The whole "Pacino homelife" segment was terrible, the Dennis Haysbert subplot was a waste of time, etc. etc.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Now, The Hustler IS a great movie, and thinking a bit about it...

Eddie: "You're a small-time Charlie!"

Not good.

Of course, it's more than made up for by such gems as this exchange:

Eddie: "We really put the knife in her."

Fats: "Shoot pool, Fast Eddie."

Eddie: "I am shooting pool, Fats. When I miss, you can shoot."

And my favorite, with Paul Newman really delivering:

Eddie: "Boy, you better, you tell your boys they better kill me, Bert. They better go all the way with me, 'cause if they just bust me up, I'll put all those pieces back together again, then so help me... So help me God, Bert, I'm gonna come back here and I'm gonna kill you."

Brrrr. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gonna have to disagree. I don't find any of these parts to be a "bad moment."

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood. I am saying the "small-time Charlie" line is bad, but the rest is actual gold.

"I am shooting pool, Fats. When I miss, you can shoot."

Jackie Gleason is so good in this entire scene it's freaking scary. Hard not to be shown up by Paul Newman, but he managed.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing in the movie Heat suggests that DeNiro's character would go back for Wayne Growe (sp?) at the end. Nothing. To me, it ruined the ending because it didn't ring true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there were 2 things in this movie suggesting DeNiro's inevitable downfall. DeNiro's attachment to Amy Brenneman's character, for one, suggests that he is, in fact, weak. DeNiro also blew a hole right through that phony cold, hard exterior by concluding his coffee shop conversation w/Pacino with the line, "or maybe we'll never see each other again." That scene suggested without a doubt the same tragic flaw shared by both Pacino & DeNiro. DeNiro's destiny (whether he realized it) was to [censored] up in order to fulfill Pacino's destiny of catching him. Wayne Growe's character didn't even need exist in this film for any other purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've only seen heat once, but didn't deniro go back for waingro to find out if his exit plan had been compromised?

nm, i got trejo and waingro confused. it was trejo he went to see to confirm his exit plan was intact. i agree it made no sense for deniro to go after waingro at the end.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:34 PM

Not really a great film on the grand scale but in "Love Actually" the scene where the best friend of the husband of Keira Knightly is holding up the cards, the whole scene is great except for the fact that after she runs out and kisses him. That scene would have been perfect if not for that. I think that just slighly confuses the point and issue.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:50 PM

I loved that scene. She wasn't giving him a passionate "I Love You" kiss. She gave a him a warm "Thank you for caring so much about me" kiss. As he walks away, he says to himself "Enough now" because he has finally declared his love and can get on with his life.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:55 PM

Love Actually scene
Old 09-09-2007, 12:28 PM

"The Aviator" is one of my favorite movies of recent years. However, there is a major problem throughout the film. Early in the movie, we are informed that Howard Hughes is very hard of hearing. In some scenes he cannot hear things said from across a relatively small table.

There is a scene near the end of the film where Hughes has locked himself in his screening room and Juan Trippe (played by Alec Baldwin) comes to visit. Trippe sits outside of the room and Hughes roams about engaging in a conversation with Trippe. At times Trippe talks in almost a whisper, yet Hughes responds to everything he says. I guess Scorsese forgot that he already informed the audience that Hughes was partly deaf and that we'd forgot about it during this scene.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Col. Jessep: You [censored]' people. You have no idea how to defend a nation. All you did was weaken a country today, Kaffee. That's all you did. You put people's lives in danger. Sweet dreams, son.

Kaffee: Don't call me son. I'm a lawyer and an officer in the United States Navy. And you're under arrest, you son of a bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

omfg, this is the best answer ever. that line was horrific.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is soooo wrong..