Greeting people at work at the beginning of the week:

"how's it going?"
"Not bad (pause)....for a Monday!"

[censored] off
Old 07-16-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: OOT weekly thread: minor things that infuriate you

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It bugs me when there's still space on the right(a bike path, half a lane, whatever) to turn, and they could let you by for your right turn if they scooted up or over a couple or few feet, but they don't. What do they have to lose?

[/ QUOTE ]
Uggghhh, this just happened to me this morning, and regularly at the intersection closest to my condo. The right lane is about two cars wide at the intersection and rather than the car line up on the left side so people can turn they almost always park their goddamned car in the middle of the lane and nobody can get around them.

This is particularly grievous at this intersection because it's a third through lane that appears just before the light and often times, including this morning, the only reason the car was in the lane was to line jump everyone after the signal, since the lane ends shortly thereafter. Goddamn line jumpers keeping me from making a right. Grrrrr.

EDIT: I'm not the road rage type - I don't seek out confrontation or make eye contact or tailgate, etc. - but my play here is to get in the far right part of the lane and as close to their bumper as I can to get my point across. That's about as aggro as I get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never trust blinkers, people drive with them on and you could pull out in front of someone and get hit because you thought they were turning at the only turning space nearby with the signal..

For me, red light runners. It bothers me because multiple timeis im in a rush and I start to go and see some douchebag coming 100 miles an hour and I have to stop ON MY GREEN to stop ohim from hitting me...

Another is people who are shopping and put their cart on one side of the aisle and shop on the other effectively destroying any chance you have of getting by them without having to wait for them to make the all important choice of which can of green beans to buy and how to save 25 cents on pasta.

OH and I have a girl at work who says HI to me EVERYTIME I see her... it wouldnt be that bad but my job involves me walking around alot and I prob walk by her 20+ times a day really you dont have to say something EVERYTIME and expect me to constantly reply. She does this to everyone not just me.

LOL at the smoking one I have seriously just stood out there talking to the smokers and if anyone asks I say I just put mine out or say I was going to bum one but couldnt get one (I dont smoke normally but I do when I'm drunk which fortunately is often enough that I could smoke a cigarette if someone came and I was going to get reamed for not smoking and not working)

The reading alone is great. I took an automata theory book to work and sat in the break room reading it the other day. I think I explained what automata theory is like 15 times and read about a page in an hour.

The fact that I have never made a post that I didn't edit...
Old 07-16-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

people who walk 3+ abreast taking up the whole sidewalk. it is particularly annoying when I am coming up behind a group like this and there is a lot of traffic. if I am jogging and can't cut over into the street I'll frequently jump over or onto something (stairs, planter) to get around them. I'm sure I have scared the hell out of a few people doing this and that makes me feel great.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's worse is when there are 3 abreast walking towards, and they decide that it's perfectly logical for them to remain in formation and force you into the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

hold your ground man. This actually happened to me at work in a hallway about 12 feet wide. I was right up against the wall, leaving the 3 dudes plenty of space to get by 3 abreast. They didn't move. One dude got shoulder checked.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exclamation marks annoy me when used at the end of trivial sentences!

[/ QUOTE ]

Similarly, misplaced question marks? I get this one a lot at work: "Let me know if you have any concern?"
Old 07-16-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hold your ground man. This actually happened to me at work in a hallway about 12 feet wide. I was right up against the wall, leaving the 3 dudes plenty of space to get by 3 abreast. They didn't move. One dude got shoulder checked.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to hike a nearby mountain daily (Camelback Mountain / Echo Canyon for those familiar with the area; bitch of a hike but very rewarding). I was really into it and was timing my hikes and logging the times. I rarely missed a day.

Well, I ended up becoming a Super Nit, most of my rage focused on the people recklessly coming down the mountain and, because they were going so fast, seemed to expect me to give them right-of-way. For one thing, hiking down a steep grade slowly is a better workout than the semi-falling that these people would do, for another the uphill hiker ALWAYS has the right of way.

On multiple occasions I would check rude downhill hikers with my shoulders, sometimes sending them flying. Other times I simply got out of the way and yelled back at them. These are the same kind of people, by the way, who I would blaze past on the way up but who thought they could make up for it by running down. Also the same type of people who, when I was looking to pass them going up couldn't bring themselves to get out of the way, as their ego couldn't allow that someone was faster than them.

Too much frustration, now I just stick to the gym.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:58 PM

On my drive home from work every night there is some goof that does this:

Theres a turning lane in the middle WTF do they straddle both lanes?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:21 PM

People who say they are "standing on line" instead of standing in line. I realize this is supposed to be like a New York thing, but it sounds utterly stupid.

I second the "?" thing. A lot of people don't seem to understand the difference between statements and questions.

The new (I won't say the brand name because I don't want to give them free advertising) beer commercial with the song "CAN I HAVE IT LIKE THAT YOU GOT IT LIKE THAT CAN I HAVE IT LIKE THAT YOU GOT IT LIKE THAT CAN I HAVE IT LIKE THAT YOU GOT IT LIKE THAT CAN I HAVE IT LIKE THAT YOU GOT IT LIKE THAT" makes me want to kill nice people. I've been forced to mute that commercial now.

Another thing I thought of that I hate is really crappy advertising. What I mean by this is "see-through" advertising...when you hear something on the radio or TV or whatever that sounds good, but it takes you like 2 seconds to realize exactly who their target audience is, and how they will rip them off, it just angers me.

An example of this is for some stupid online car dealer. In the commercial (radio) they say something to the effect of: "Don't you hate online car website that only allow you to search by price, when all you care about is the monthly payment?! Here at __________ website, you can search by monthly payment. Figure out what you can afford, and search!"

lol. This is the absolute last way you want to go about buying a car. I guess it angers me that their trick will work on so many people.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:36 PM

What I don't like are the commercials that make transparently ludicrous exaggerations and pass them off as statistical fact, in order to make you think you've got to have their product even though you almost certainly don't need it.

Examples of the rap I've heard recently: Did you know 9 out of 10 people need new mattresses? Did you know that more than 90% of cars need transmission repair?