Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Several Hotshots Supposedly Broke Or In Debt

"David,

You are one lame old man and I'd much rather be any of these broke hotshots than be your panzy ass."

Luckily for me, I don,t share that opinion.

" You take great comfort in these big famous names, who get to make money off TV deals and bone D list celebrities, when they go broke."

Incorrect. Though I can see why you think that. What I DO admittedly enjoy is turning out right. And about a year ago I got into debates with people, including some of the playerss themselves about whether the super big multigame players were so superior that they could beat "tag teams" of 300-600 experts. The fact that some of the specific players mentioned in those arguments are broke, goes far to prove my point. Given how much they went on to lose. And I do get gleeful when my points are proven. Especially because that point relates to concepts I talk about. I guess most of the readers on this forum already believed those concepts to the point that these revelations were no surprise.

But I am not gleeful about the personal plights of the people I think are broke. In one case because he or she was not one of those who was arrogantly arguing with me. In another case, he or she was, but they had redeeming features to make up for it. Actually I have always wondered if some of those who debated me knew full well I was right but took the other side in an effort to bolster the egos of their temporary companions who they knew were destined to fall by the wayside. Because, and here's a hint: There are no surprises in the group I am thinking of. Not in my mind anyway.

"You remind me of my HS chemistry teacher who had a PHD in chemistry, you consistently tell everyone (I read a few recent posts of yours in the finance forums) that you are a lazy genius, and quite frankly I admire the scrappy idiot or the John Robert Belland's of the world more than I admire you and your advanced yet waste of space intellect."

That statement seems accurate.

"This is the lamest piece of gossip ever, made even more lame by the fact that you refuse to out anyone yet state that Guy staked one of these big losers. Great David, the whole [censored] world knows that Guy stakes Booth, you are a BIG MAN for keeping names out of this thread."

I didn't realize that there was sort of a rule for this forum to avoid gossip without names being used. Didn't mean to break any rules. I was in possession of information and I assumed this was the best place for it.

As for Brad Booth, I wasn't talking about him at all. He has always been extremely nice to me and I am very unhappy to hear he might be broke.

"How about you leave NVG until you come back with actual gossip that people might care about? And while we're on the topic, how about you show a little courtesy for the players you sit with in cash games? You annoy everyone endlessly when you constantly leave the table to go check on horses/Brandi."

Aren't you getting a little off the subject here?

"Who knows the great enthusiams, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never known neither victory nor defeat." teddy r"

Fine

"These hotshots might be broke, but at least they probably went down with a fight and had some life to their step and are not spending their entire life underachieving."

Wait a second now. I agreed with your chemistry teacher statement. And I agree with your teddy r post. But now you are going to far. We are talking about poker players here. people who are willing to lose millions on the turn of a card while others are starving in Africa. People who are smart and talented enough that they could be doining a lot more for the world. I could do a lot more myself but I have taught thousands of people how to think better. How many people do you think care one way or the other whether any of these other players even exist?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think your post is a bit uncalled for and i also feel that most people who saluted you did so because they love seeing a bloodbath, not because they believe that david deserves your comments. while some of what you say is certainly spot on, its over the top.

why would you want david to leave nvg? just because he gave a 5/10 in nvg contributions? there are hundreds of others who contribute less than he does. why dont we ban barryg because he only posts once a month? maybe david's intentions were to educate readers by painting a picture of high stakes poker in its truist form, not to tear down the images of good people whove tried hard to establish them. isnt that a noble intent?

what gives you the right for judging david on being a "lazy genius"? are you that much better? as poker players we are all leeches on others and provide no productivity for our time. im sure your wall street job will go on to save starving children in africa while reducing CO2 emissions. yes, david clearly revels in receiving gratification from the masses, but i also think its quite clear that he does enjoy educating people. he even has ambitions of writing the most effective book for teaching children algebra.

not everyone spends their life dedicating themselves to noble causes. most do what makes themselves happy, and most people would be lazy if they could afford to be. youre a really good guy in person, but your post makes you come off as a spoiled brat.

[/ QUOTE ]

winner

[/ QUOTE ]
Indeed, wow what a little punk strassa sounds like in his post.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:03 PM

David,

I would assume the type of underachieving Strassa is talking about is where you think you're falling far short of what you could be, rather than any sense of global importance. I doubt the poker hotshots talk regularly about how they wouldn't have been a big dog to win a Nobel Prize had they decided to be a physicist, for example. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting him.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
re: strassa,

Jesus I gotta read NVG more.

Regardless of how David acts on twoplustwo or at the tables though, it's pretty ironic that you call Sklansky 'underachieving' in a post on his (highly successful) poker discussion website.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gild.

To the best of my knowledge, David doesn't own any of this site, or of the publishing company. (and also it could VERY easily be argued that despite this site's growth, it's exactly underachieving given the money that it could have generated).

[/ QUOTE ]

It could do better but it does generate millions and OF COURSE I am a full partner in the ownership. Do you think I would be writing many of the things I write if I wasn't?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Go David! From what I've read, Strassa has been very lucky in life and poker (2 parent home that paid cash for 200k education, hot run at start of poker career). I think that blinded him to his own arrogance and immaturity.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:07 PM

a request to admo: i think your bet to do some amazing photoshop work is over(?), but it'd be [censored] cool if you could do a grand-theft-auto style work for this thread.

thanks,
Anderson1
Old 05-30-2007, 04:09 PM

for the guy at Mandalay who didn't believe I was me. you owe me $100

FWIW I played at the table next to David yesterday and he was making calls about once per orbit, covering his mouth so people couldn't read his lips.(?)
I overheard the word "gossip" several times and wondered if he was talking about this thread.

Brandi loitered behind his seat off and on for a couple hours, looking around often hoping to get noticed. Most. Annoying. Laugh. Ever.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
David,

I would assume the type of underachieving Strassa is talking about is where you think you're falling far short of what you could be, rather than any sense of global importance. I doubt the poker hotshots talk regularly about how they wouldn't have been a big dog to win a Nobel Prize had they decided to be a physicist, for example. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting him.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that he is implying wrongly that the teddy r quote applies to them. He wasn't thinking of the endeavor of poker playing or anything similar when he said that.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:12 PM

Interesting. So what game and stakes does Sklansky play these days anyways?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:13 PM

Was reminded of this thread when reading the following article today on John Henry, owner of the Red Sox. Probably comparing apples to oranges in a lot of aspects, but still similar in others (the live pro that runs hot over a few hundred thousand hands before the long-run starts to kick in - ZOMG, what worked before doesn't always work? It must all be bad luck cause I'm the shizit, etc., etc.)

http://biz.yahoo.com/ts/070529/10355006.html?.v=3

Or was this thread a bit off original topic already...? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]