Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Cover Design Contest

Hi all.

Here's where I'm at. 2 Versions each of front and
back covers. I hated almost every other color, and
I think green really drives "Poker" home.

I re-scaled the type and uncluttered it and made a
new arrangement as well. Suggestions are welcome!

Front Cover - Version #1

Back Cover - Version #1

Front Cover - Version #2

Back Cover - Version #2

-ZEN
Old 06-12-2007, 05:00 PM

Nice design .... dunno if you should put some of that green on the spine, so Mason doesn't DQ it as being too dark ?? (See his comment to Gonso above)
Old 06-12-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Gonso:

I'm going to let you know right now that almost all your cover submissions are too dark for use on a book shelf. Successful covers, which aid in selling books, are covers that catch someone's eye. If the design is too dark, even though it may be a very nice design, it defeats this aspect of the cover.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason,

The lighter of gonso's reds looks fantastic imo and would catch my eye right after I got annoyed at the neon yellow book next to it. It looks like a professional graphics designer did it, unlike almost all poker books in Borders, and the rich color is part of that effect. It's also not darker than SuperSystem. Plus the title jumps off the background. Plus it just looks awesome.

If you go with it I'll buy dinner to help make up for any sales losses....

Matt
Old 06-12-2007, 06:51 PM

Roxy, if there was a way to make the all-white words 'No-Limit Hold'em' stand out, with some kind of border or shadow or inoffensive 3d effect or something, the faces might seem less obtrusive. Looking at my books here, all those with white lettering have a border or a plain, dark background (or both).
Old 06-12-2007, 07:27 PM

Mason, I took a little time messing with the colors (only slightly) and printed a couple off on gloss paper... threw them over a couple books of the same size and threw them on the shelf.

I put a couple pretty bright books and even then the blue seems to hold up. The red could use a little more work.

One thing I notice looking through my bookshelf overall is that it's a lot easier to get some "pop" out of shorter titles, esp with bright text on dark backgrounds. Look at Super System or 7 Card Stud, the relatively short title allows for some big lettering.

Now look at Harrington's... his red cover jumps out, but the title is lost in a mess. Same with Phil Gordon's book. Just an argument against super-long titles in general...

Anyway, lightening the colors is easy, but if I over do it the text will get a little washed out. If you have any last minute pointers based on the photos this is pretty much my last chance to fix it.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:59 PM

After seeing those pictures I have to agree with Mason.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:59 PM

The blue book laying on the bed is without question the best looking book there. It isn't even close really. I thought I liked the red, but it actually doesn't look so good in those pictures.

So far, my vote is Roxy's SnG book. Gonso's Blue book.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After seeing those pictures I have to agree with Mason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well with that reasoning in mind, Championship Hold'em has all the other books crushed, and it isn't even close.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well with that reasoning in mind, Championship Hold'em has all the other books crushed, and it isn't even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

While the design of the front cover isn't anything to write home about, the colors are definitely pleasing to the eye.

Gonso's covers are too dark.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:14 PM

the red is def too dark, blue im on the fence about, but that color is easier for me to adjust without any drastic change. Light blue looks good, pink doesn't. I think I might have a workaround for both covers. I'm killing my Moshman submission though lol

more cowbell
Closed Thread