Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 10:42 AM

Default Re: You misspelled \"Sklansky\"

First and foremost I would actually like to thank MASON, DAVID and MAT for having this forum. This is where I go to get information on everything poker. TO blame them for the turn of events is silly. As for the PPA I have no idea what they do either and wish I knew more, I have not sent them $20 and wont until I see them doing something tangible. I understand everybodies need for some sort of leadership to stand up and scream Im as mad as hell and Im not going to take it anymore. I find it funny that none of the Celebs out there that play poker have not released statements or done interveiws or anything and it is easy for us the people that need poker to survive to point fingers and blame others, hell I dont want to go back to the 9-5 lifestyle that I left 8 months ago and I need to blame someone or something that will respond, so that I feel heard. I have read the legislation and all the posts and I am going nuts with all the info, so I did what I can do. I logged on to Full Tilt and Absolute and have been playing poker, because that is what I do. SO stop complaining and go play poker, if everyone is scared to play, wheres my money going to end up? are these companies going to steal it? I dont think so. Just go play poker and watch how things unfold. This community is one of the most intelligent groups of people in this country and necessity is the mother of invention, people will find a way to get their money into sites and the sport will continue to grow, this is a hiccup.
GO PLAY.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Mat, David, Mason...where are you?

Funny how it takes 250 replies to this thread for both guys to start saying something. Now they have 5 or so posts/stickies on the legislation forum. Feels like they did it so they don't look even more like douchebags...
Old 10-05-2006, 03:39 PM

Default Re: A Clarification

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not particularly proud that they also help people quit their jobs, or their school, and make 120K a year multitabling 5-10 holdem games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading this thread, I couldn't imagine how you (collectively) could justify inaction. But you're right about this part. Poker as a fun game and a potentially profitable hobby is admirable and worthy of support from the masses. But poker as a "career" conjurs an image of people who would otherwise become doctors, scientists, researchers, teachers, etc. that are lost to some version of the fast life of Stu Ungar. At least that's how Joe American sees it.

The way to save poker is to portray it as "everybody's hobby" and to discourage people from dropping out of the productive segment of society because poker money is easier. I have made great money playing poker, and could do it as my sole source of income if I wanted, but I have chosen to always be productively employed. If most of the high-profile pros were also active professionals in a respectable career, I think this thing would have had an entirely different outcome.

I was appalled at the ad campaign that PokerStars was running at the WSOP: basically "win big and quit your job". That's when I realized some form of a ban would probably pass; when an industry leader starts to promote poker as a legitimate career to attract players, a significant correction is overdue.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am proud that my writings helps people think. I'm not particularly proud that they also help people quit their jobs, or their school, and make 120K a year multitabling 5-10 holdem games.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone recognise the following quote:

[ QUOTE ]
We do not want to turn rank beginners into successful recreational players. We want to turn eager students of the game into experts. We want you to play well enough to earn $50,000 a year or more playing $3-$6 online. We want to provide you with the skills necessary to move up to $30-$60 games and higher. We do not want you to beat small stakes games. We want you to crush them!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-05-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, the likely upcoming debate regarding distinguishing poker from other games will likely let me emerge as a "hero" yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it, David. If you think you are that influential, then where in the hell were you BEFORE the bill passed?
Old 10-05-2006, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am proud that my writings helps people think. I'm not particularly proud that they also help people quit their jobs, or their school, and make 120K a year multitabling 5-10 holdem games.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone recognise the following quote:

[ QUOTE ]
We do not want to turn rank beginners into successful recreational players. We want to turn eager students of the game into experts. We want you to play well enough to earn $50,000 a year or more playing $3-$6 online. We want to provide you with the skills necessary to move up to $30-$60 games and higher. We do not want you to beat small stakes games. We want you to crush them!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've lost all respect for these guys after reading this thread and their reaction to what's going on and how they so conveniently wrote 10 threads on the subject after this thread. What douchebags. Hey authors, if you "care" so much about the poor children why not donate some of your money to a gamblers addiction charity or something. I'm willing to bet my roll you wouldn't/don't already. Willing to trade in your millions of dollars in books so children can finish school, or we can all go back to work instead of multitabling 5/10?

Stop acting so righteous. You're a joke.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:38 PM

Just my opinion, but from perusing recent posts, David appears to be a former avant-garde theorist who may perhaps be flaming a bit too brightly and occasionally becoming entangled in his own personal, unfathomably transcendental dimension. However, his willingness < a trifle belatedly> to stand squarely and state a principled position opposing majority <2p2 member> sentiment is to be respected.

From Mason’s suddenly prolific responses it appears possible that he may have ridden his recent poker boom publishing windfall into a cushy, “I’ve got mine” apathy. He had to be goaded into responding, and now called upon to provide a substantive clarification of his <2p2> position, imo we are instead treated to defensively arrogant, patronizingly simplistic retorts pleading issue ignorance and froth with muddled excuses.
< dang lawyer >
<dang PPA>
He appears to be flirting with one of those giant Milwaukee lite cans.

Why wouldn’t 2p2 staff have deemed it imperative to all interested parties to be at the informational and/or symbolic forefront of organizing a cohesive pre-legislation deterrence? And in turn promptly issue a post-passage statement to its members who have long provided core support and revenue?

Is it possible that through complancency they have inadvertently come to regard the 2p2 member pool as nothing more than their own private, well stocked, self- perpetuating marketing pond whose usefulness may be waning?

I hope not.
<imho>

btw….yes you could ban me but unfortunately Frist beat you to it.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:59 PM

OMG FORUM DRAMA!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, the likely upcoming debate regarding distinguishing poker from other games will likely let me emerge as a "hero" yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

David, you don't think Bill Frist with an undergrad from Princeton, and MD from Harvard realizes that poker is a game of skill?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

David, you don't think Bill Frist with an undergrad from Princeton, and MD from Harvard realizes that poker is a game of skill?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. I know several idiots who went to Harvard.