Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Heard this at the DeltaPlex in GR, Michigan on Friday night.

There wasn't really anything said, but I had my Ace high called by King high once. There are those hands where you bet the river, get called and say, "Good call." and flip over your cards... in this case I looked at his hand and said, "Wait... what?" and start searching for a flush.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I chuckled, but managed to keep it under my breath. Then the megadonk on my right tried to pay for his beer with tournament chips and I just burst out laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Off topic a little, but I just want to state that if I hear the joke from another player asking to "cash out" his tournament chips I just may strangle him/her.

[/ QUOTE ]

This probably deserves another thread, but what are some really annoying jokes that everyone has heard 100 times at the tables? A few of mine:

-Two guys have the same hand and split the pot....One asks the other: "You play that crap?"

-BB doesn't realize that hes BB and thinks hes EP and goes to fold his hand, dealer tells him and allows him to keep his hand. Someone almost always asks "Cards are that good huh?"

-"AK = Anna Kournakova(sp?)...looks good but never wins."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's much more fun to play at a table that's silent, morose and miserable. If you play a lot, expect to hear the same jokes repeatedly. They keep the table lively, and make the new players more cheerful (especially at 1-2). A happy table is a more profitable table. Crack jokes yourself. Sometimes, if you make people laugh, they don't mind that you're fleecing them at the same time.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I chuckled, but managed to keep it under my breath. Then the megadonk on my right tried to pay for his beer with tournament chips and I just burst out laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Off topic a little, but I just want to state that if I hear the joke from another player asking to "cash out" his tournament chips I just may strangle him/her.

[/ QUOTE ]

This probably deserves another thread, but what are some really annoying jokes that everyone has heard 100 times at the tables? A few of mine:

-Two guys have the same hand and split the pot....One asks the other: "You play that crap?"

-BB doesn't realize that hes BB and thinks hes EP and goes to fold his hand, dealer tells him and allows him to keep his hand. Someone almost always asks "Cards are that good huh?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's much more fun to play at a table that's silent, morose and miserable. If you play a lot, expect to hear the same jokes repeatedly. They keep the table lively, and make the new players more cheerful (especially at 1-2). A happy table is a more profitable table. Crack jokes yourself. Sometimes, if you make people laugh, they don't mind that you're fleecing them at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly agree with this post - give a good time and they'll mind you taking their money a whole lot less.

I won't go out of my way, but I generally make an effort to keep the game loose and 'fun' - makes my day much more pleasant at the worst with no real downside.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:49 AM

I've told this one before in other threads as well

Typical, horrible player filled 2/4 limit at the MGM, 8-9 player seeing the flop every hand, people cold calling 3 bets with trash, etc.

8 players see the flop in an unraised pot (I had folded preflop), Q66 or something like that (queen with a pair showing)

Flop check around.
Turn checks around.
River checks around.

Big blind (some young kid, probably 21-22'ish) proudly flips over his QQ and the dealer pushes him the few chips in the pot.

I'm sitting there in disbelief and after a medium length pause, maybe 30-40 seconds, his young friend sitting next to him asks "Why didn't bet?" and his response

"Hands that good you have to slowplay."
Old 05-09-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Annoying joke from two drunk guys who must have come together - every time, and I mean EVERY time, one would check, the other would say, I don't take checks, and the reply would be, the check is in the mail - then they would both throw their heads back and laugh hyterically - this went on for about an hour, and I had to request a table change

[/ QUOTE ]

If I overheard this kind of talk from another table, I would request a change TO that table. I've never ever heard good players make these jokes. I want to be at that table.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"Hands that good you have to slowplay."

[/ QUOTE ]

Guy at my club does this ALL the time. Funny thing is he's a super turn aggrotard. He's consantly bluff-raise-folding the turn (in limit) with air, then showing down monsters without so much as a sniff of a bet. Captain Opposite.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The strangest thing I"ve ever seen at a poker table:

$1/2 NL game at the Taj. Woman to my immediate left and man on the other side of the table get into a small argument over something stupid one hand. Very next hand they are heads up to see the flop. Both of them are decent stacks too- probably around $400 each. Flop comes A-x-x. Woman bets out somewhere around $20(pot was raised preflop so it was about a pot sized bet), guy raises to $60.

The woman sits there and thinks it over and then says out loud "let me get a read on you" and turns over her hand to expose A-T. After about 20 seconds she re raises to $160, the guy goes all in(which btw is horrible strategy since he has position and could just call and make sure that his hand doesn't get sucked out on before going all in). The lady says "I don't believe you" and calls. Guy shows AK which holds up.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont think anyone has said this: WTF!!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, clearly this was exactly what I was saying.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am not convinced that the optimal strategy would be calling and going all-in on the river if lady doesn't improve. I didn't see anything bad with going all-in on the turn. Comments anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it depends what she does on the turn. However I think that calling is clearly a better play than raising all in on the flop since its painfully obvious that the woman intends to call all in on this hand no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to promote strategy talk in what's been the most-enjoyable thread of the month, but

AK vs. AT on Axx flop...AT flips her hand face-up and will call no matter what I bet?

[cellphone]"Honey...can we take out a second mortgage before this woman calls the clock on me?"[/cellphone]

If you wouldn't push here...either I missed something or you hate moneys.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:23 PM

"You shouldn't bet so much when you have good hands. I only bet a lot when I want people to fold, otherwise I slow play."

.... he was serious. Seriously.