Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: post here when announcers (or the media) say or do something stupi

USC/Stanford game

The play-by-play commentator when Stanford scores on 4th and goal to take the lead:

TOUCHDOWN USC!.....STANFORD TOUCHDOWN STANFORD

Look I understand it's an unbelievable moment, and you can get caught up in the emotion of the moment... but the announcer has got to come through with the right freaking call in a spot like that.

Awesome moment, [censored] commentators.

lol Versus.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
USC/Stanford game

The play-by-play commentator when Stanford scores on 4th and goal to take the lead:

lol Versus.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then the color guy started talking about how Stanford was going to play for the tie, by going for one in a 23-23 game.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
USC/Stanford game

Look I understand it's an unbelievable moment, and you can get caught up in the emotion of the moment... but the announcer has got to come through with the right freaking call in a spot like that.

lol Versus.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were many gems from this game, my favorite was this one:

Earlier on a big 4th down play the commentators both assumed it was a 3rd down, which lead to 30 seconds of hilarious commentary about punting if they fail to get it. They never corrected themselves.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
USC/Stanford game

lol Versus.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then the color guy started talking about how Stanford was going to play for the tie, by going for one in a 23-23 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

even if it was somehow 22-23 before the PAT, playing for the tie would be incredibly dumb for Stanford to do
Old 10-07-2007, 12:37 AM

pokergrader - not catching the incorrect down is understandable.
If the scoreboard and/or chains have it incorrect it's very easy to go with that and not look at your screen and see that they have the down wrong.

BTW - this also explains why a fumble or something that is obvious to the viewer at home is sometimes not seen by the announcer at first...because they weren't looking at the monitor, they were watching the actual field which gives them a better perspective on who is going where and lets them anticipate what name they might need to call next such as some receiver 30 or D-Back 30 yds down-field. But that leads to them sometimes missing some key parts to a play that were really really freaking obvious to every single home-viewer who could see that the ball came out or that he somehow caught it or whatever.

For the guys who missed the down on the air:
an on-the-ball director can conceiveably hear it, realize they made a mistake, and tell them in their headphones that it's really 4th down or something like that. But he isn't quite sure he's right or not either.
He might think his graphic is wrong and before he goes correcting and confusing the announcers he needs to ask in his truck, "wait, is it 3rd down or 4th down? Is our graphic correct?"

Stuff like that.

The reason they didn't correct it later might have to do more with never having known they made a mistake in the first place....or wait, did they not make it on 4th down? If so then I guess that's a correction they should probably be making.
Sounds like these guys were a bit out to lunch anyway.

Considering that an entire officiating crew and broadcast crew too failed to catch the 5th down play in a certain Colorado game a few yrs back I think it's not that impossibly bad of an error to make.

Baseball announcers miss a pitch when they're reading a promo or something or just didn't see the ump's delayed strike-call and then get the count wrong pretty frequently. Many times they don't bother correcting themselves either. Just call the next pitch and somewhere in there actually say the correct count.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:35 PM

I know we all like Jaws.. but does he know what matriculate means? I can't figure out how it makes any sense in the context he uses it in.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know we all like Jaws.. but does he know what matriculate means? I can't figure out how it makes any sense in the context he uses it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this kind of an inside joke about Merril Hoge? I think it's about how Merril will often use the "word" on shows (like Edge NFL Matchup, NFL Live, and others of its kind) to describe an offense that methodically trickles the ball down the field with safe, short-ish type plays (check-offs) without turning the ball over. Keeping the chains moving.

If true, then Jaws is just (I guess) poking a little fun at Merril.

When Jaws said this, they way he said it, I thought it sounded like he intended it to be like a little jab, but also describing how Edwards was able to go through his progressions and keep the chains moving with these safe decisions.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:05 PM

Everything TK says on MNF is unbearable, especially because less TK = more Jaws.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this kind of an inside joke about Merril Hoge? I think it's about how Merril will often use the "word" on shows (like Edge NFL Matchup, NFL Live, and others of its kind) to describe an offense that methodically trickles the ball down the field with safe, short-ish type plays (check-offs) without turning the ball over. Keeping the chains moving.

If true, then Jaws is just (I guess) poking a little fun at Merril.

When Jaws said this, they way he said it, I thought it sounded like he intended it to be like a little jab, but also describing how Edwards was able to go through his progressions and keep the chains moving with these safe decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Hank Stram from the NFL Films feature on Super Bowl IV. He actually says, "Let's matriculate the ball down the field, boys."
Old 10-09-2007, 06:10 PM

Eventhough this isn't about sports I think this has to be the winner.
Peter King in todays MMQB
I could watch the Frank Caliendo stuff about a hundred more times. He's funnier today than Belushi was 30 years ago. He's even got George Bush's facial expressions down pat. I mean, they're perfect.