Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

Man!

You've recorded Neurosis since Times of Grace. I'm in awe! [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Some Neurosis/metal-related questions:

1. How is it working with Neurosis? Any amusing anecdotes?

2. How much work is it recording their often complex song arrangements? Listening to what's going on on most of their records one would assume it's a very time consuming process.

3. Can you recommend music in a similar vein to Neurosis? (excluding the obvious candidates such as Isis, Sparowes, Sum, Cult of Luna, etc.)

4. Do you listen to a lot of metal? If you are, what kind of metal are you generally listening to?

Thanks..
Old 07-07-2007, 12:07 PM

Who sold us out on metafilter? Dang, sorry about putting the tech question here, Laziness on my part.

Banging musicians huh?

well I won't ask you any specifics about your endevors in this area, Being the gentleman you are, but heres a pretty good perv question.

Who is the sexiest Female musician that you have ever worked with? and Does the fact that she's a musician add to her sexiness for you?

and

What are you wearing?
Old 07-07-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
k$?

[/ QUOTE ]
><24
Old 07-07-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Has Sklansky tapped Brandi?
2) Is SNG Butseks a bargain?

[/ QUOTE ]
These are really the same question. DUCY?

[ QUOTE ]
3) At what stakes does it become cooler to hang out with lame fishies who all play world of warcraft when you could be hanging out with your friends at a bar, or other drinking establishment.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should be raking against fishes during non-drinking hours so you don't have to make choices like this. Also, maybe you have lame friends.

[ QUOTE ]
4) Does hanging out with rockstars automatically get you unhandleable amounts of poon, even if they suck

[/ QUOTE ]
Much, much poon, but believe me I can handle. You, maybe stick to drinking with your (possibly lame) friends.

[ QUOTE ]
5) Do guitar players have bigger peens than bassists

[/ QUOTE ]
No, but their boyfriends do.

[ QUOTE ]
6) Do drummers always turn up late

[/ QUOTE ]
No, drummers have girlfriends with cars. Guitarists and singers are always late because they're on the bus.

[ QUOTE ]
7) Buttseks?

[/ QUOTE ]
YGOS?

[ QUOTE ]
8) Have you ever been arrested, if so what for, if not then what would you suggest as a reasonable bribe

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, all sorts, hundge.

[ QUOTE ]
9) What is the coolest drug

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't take recreational drugs any more, but other people on Ketamine are a riot, because they bend like Gumby, and whatever you do to them/make them do, they'll have no memory of it.

[ QUOTE ]
10) When was your last fight, did you win

[/ QUOTE ]
I was 15, and yes.

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT TO ADD: BBV would like to see you MSPaint skills, to prove you is fo real

[/ QUOTE ]
Do not know computers well, need MSPaint instruction. Will trade for Stars or FT.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:05 PM

Hey Steve - thanks for doing this.

One of my top 5 albums ever is Rid of Me. I still remember getting a copy in at my college radio station, putting on Rid of Me the song and having my ears [censored] blown off when the chorus kicked in. The songwriting is incredible and how you recorded PJ's guitar and Rob Ellis' drums really complements the material. I know that she wrote a lot of material before these sessions and put out a demos album of material later on with a couple of songs that didn't make it onto Rid of Me itself. I prefer the album versions of songs to the demos and I've always wondered, besides Reeling, what other songs did you record during those sessions that didn't make it onto the album?
Old 07-07-2007, 03:30 PM

Is there some kind of message posting etiquette? The bullies seem to be picking on me. Please let me know what I've done wrong, even if you have to be insulting...
Old 07-07-2007, 03:44 PM

who was the hottest musician you ever nailed?

freakiest?

give us the dirt!
Old 07-07-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there some kind of message posting etiquette? The bullies seem to be picking on me. Please let me know what I've done wrong, even if you have to be insulting...

[/ QUOTE ]
This thread was intended for the regular readers of this particular forum, which is a specific population of 2+2 readers who have wide-ranging interests, but are comrades in the poker/gambling culture. The thread leaked out into the general population, including music fan dorks who have no interest in this forum or site other than this rare moment when it happened to overlap into their world. The regular participants in this forum feel like you "civilians" are trespassing here, gawking, and are a nuisance.

Also:

[ QUOTE ]
Top Albini questions of the moment:
1) How old were you the first time you heard Kraftwerk?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was born in 1962, and I first heard Kraftwerk when Autobahn was a big hit, in 1974 or 75.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Are you a fan of Gang of Four "Entertainment!"?

[/ QUOTE ]
Since I have publicly expressed admiration and adulation for this band and album, oh, 1,000,000 times, I can only assume your question is an attempt to express to the rest of the reading public that you too have noticed that my guitar playing is indebted to Andy Gill's, and that Gang of Four records, especially Entertainment, are pretty good. Mission accomplished.

[ QUOTE ]
3) After recording "Light Sabre [censored]-Sucking Blues", what happened in the studio? (I worship that song)

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a profoundly stupid question. "What happened?" What do you think happened? We played it back in the studio and everybody said "yeah that's good, what's next." Did you think we started fires, painted our faces and sent up signal flares? This question is unanswerable, because it isn't actually an inquiry, it's a chance for a music dork to affirm his appreciation of McLusky, a cool band, and thereby himself cooling-up by associaton. Grow the hell up. Also, being the thirtieth reference to McLusky in this thread, it threatens to trivialize them in the way the rest of us hope to trivialize Urge Overkill.

[ QUOTE ]
4) When is "awesome" going to be over?

[/ QUOTE ]
When your ma ends her "Twofer Tuesday" both-holes special.

[ QUOTE ]
5) Could you tell, during the "Surfer Rosa" sessions that you were recording EXTREMELY influential music?

[/ QUOTE ]
As previously noted in about 10,000 different interviews, three documentary films and four books, I was not particularly a fan of the Pixies, though I respect them and harbor no animosity toward them in the least. I thought they were a fine band, but nothing special. I have already admitted in this thread that I have no clue with respect to what other people will like.

[ QUOTE ]
6) Can you hear me now?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, a knowing quotation from the current album of my band. How clever. Do you honestly not understand why the perceptive and sarcastic readership of this forum would be hostile?
Old 07-07-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really like jazz/rock/fusion kind of guitar playing. John McLaughlin, Scott Henderson, Mike Landau, Joe Satriani, Mike Stern, Wayne Krantz and the like.

[/ QUOTE ]
About the only local guitarists I can recommend are Nels Cline and Jeff Parker, who are nothing like the shredders you mention. For actual shredding, keep your eyes peeled for touring appearances by Marnie Stern (pretty conventional but good) or Stinking Lizaveta, an instrumental band whose guitarist, Yanni, is incredible.

[ QUOTE ]
Any suggestions on bands to check out here in Chicago along those lines? I’m getting tired of all the George Benson wannabes at Andy’s.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a big abstract jazz/improv scene in Chicago (mentioned earlier in this thread), which gets pretty good coverage in the Reader. Check the listings, and if you've never seen one of these shows you could find it right up your alley.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:11 PM

first, id like to apologize to the forum. yes, this will probably be my first and last post.

Steve, I recently heard the new Weedeater album, and first must say that you captured their live sound PERFECTLY. I felt a flashback from seeing them a few months ago.

Do you have any entertaining stories about them? I've heard stories along the lines of them getting an advance from Century Media(garbage label), and them spending it all on hard drugs, and booze, and a large party to consume them all.