Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 05:37 AM

Default Re: June\'s \"Beaches & Sunsets\" thread

stuey deserves some congratulations for having one of his covers selected as a reserve for a possible future 2p2 book. see it here.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There seems to be most posts around here the last week or so, dont know if its Just me, but theres a lot of decent content, really enjoyed the Day In The Life thread (from afar)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to read more of these. Honestly, all those details that seem mundane as you write them make it so vivid to read. It's fascinating to read about these one-shot lives of others.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There seems to be most posts around here the last week or so, dont know if its Just me, but theres a lot of decent content, really enjoyed the Day In The Life thread (from afar)

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall 2+2 traffic has dropped off the last few days, but TLDR posting is on the rise... I agree we've had some good new threads. Hopefully this trend will continue.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Brandi posts for a few days
Total traffic decreases on 2+2
TLDR traffic increases

This cant be a bad thing
Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall 2+2 traffic has dropped off the last few days, but TLDR posting is on the rise... I agree we've had some good new threads. Hopefully this trend will continue.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Brandi posts for a few days
Total traffic decreases on 2+2
TLDR traffic increases

This cant be a bad thing

[/ QUOTE ]

A sign of the times...
Old 06-18-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My .02, I like being able to have some political discussion in the Lounge. I think we're all mature enough to handle it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with katy 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I did, but politics is ugly business, and tends to tie in with other things that are similarly less like to lead to easy discussion than rancor, like religion. Here are some clunkers to consider dealing with: abortion, stem cell research, euthanasia, prayer in schools, which party is more satanic. The amount of vitriol that can be spewed before people even notice they've spewed at all, and the lasting, deep-seated ill will that can be created by such trigger issues -- and not just by people so crazy you can see them coming two blocks away -- makes being very political in a forum like this a high priced gamble without a whole lot of upside pay-off. It's not like there's not already a forum for that.

Waving the political finger at each other here(you know which one I mean) seems like a high-risk low-gain proposition that could just serve to alienate members of an already low-traffic forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg,

Can you define "low traffic" for me?... I keep hearing this term used to describe TLDR, but it doesn't really make sense to me when I look at the totality of forums on 2+2 and forum traffic on other boards...

Also, don't you think there is a difference between having an occasional "controversial" thread in a forum, versus having a forum entirely devoted to controversial threads?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:36 PM

Sometimes we have the same threads staying at the top of the page for a long time, and not because there have been a bunch of posts in them. More importantly, if this forum is perceived as low traffic, and I think it is, it would be a good idea not to amplify that perception.

Re controversy vs. controversy, there are types of controversies. Things that are simply "trigger issues" that tend not so much toward discussion as grudges and anger are different from garden-variety events of the day that might be discussed. Trigger issues are more for die-hards from one choir preaching to die-hards of another, and the occasional unsuspecting passerby making a comment being told that of course he's completely right and great or abjectly wrong and awful.

There are already forums for people who enjoy exactly that. That sort of thing was so annoying that we didn't even want it in a forum with the high level of jackassery of OOT, so it seems even less fitting here.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes we have the same threads staying at the top of the page for a long time, and not because there have been a bunch of posts in them. More importantly, if this forum is perceived as low traffic, and I think it is, it would be a good idea not to amplify that perception.

Re controversy vs. controversy, there are types of controversies. Things that are simply "trigger issues" that tend not so much toward discussion as grudges and anger are different from garden-variety events of the day that might be discussed. Trigger issues are more for die-hards from one choir preaching to die-hards of another, and the occasional unsuspecting passerby making a comment being told that of course he's completely right and great or abjectly wrong and awful.

There are already forums for people who enjoy exactly that. That sort of thing was so annoying that we didn't even want it in a forum with the high level of jackassery of OOT, so it seems even less fitting here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really do put things so well at times sire.
My opinion is that a debate can lead to one of two things: argument or discussion. Debates that lead to argument are where there are strong black and white opinions with little to no grey area in the middle (eg. my hero vs your hero, religion, politics or any related issues with strong opinions either way). On these black and white issues people have already made their mind up before reading any discussion, there is no way you can change them despite how much you can argue.
Many of these issues however can be manipulated to promote healthy discussion, Carters thread on Bush is a pretty good exmple of this- it promotes discussion on a political subject without forcing people to make a judgement
Old 06-19-2007, 06:29 PM

Judge Judy on Paris: "I don't think she's an alchoholic, she's just a Party Girl."
Old 06-19-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Judge Judy on Paris: "I don't think she's an alchoholic, she's just a Party Girl."

[/ QUOTE ]

So its cocaine then?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stuey deserves some congratulations for having one of his covers selected as a reserve for a possible future 2p2 book. see it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet, Stuey. You're so talented.