Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Anyone play Eve-Online? [MMO]

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone still playing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking for this thread yesterday to see if I wanted to dl it. Will let you know if I decide to (I estimate about a 10% chance I will, less if the thread says it sucks).
Old 09-15-2007, 02:35 AM

I stopped playing after a couple of months. It was alot of fun and I'd highly recommend it to anybody looking for a good sci fi/space based MMO. I didn't stop playing for any particular reason - I was still having fun. I just don't get entirely hooked on MMOs. In fact, I'll probably restart my account again some time in the future. Anyhow, can definitely recommend this game.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:53 AM

Madtown and i are still playing it. As are one or two others including chigger.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:28 AM

stabn,

Yeah I played tonight. Made it through the tutorial and a few missions beyond. Props to wiz for hooking me up with some ISK. Looking forward to seeing you guys on, might have to make this a real account soon. Very fun, much different from WoW for sure. unfortunately I cant leave WoW completely since my good friend is bugging me to play. I probably will because I havent played a Horde toon yet and my buddy is plays Horde. Yuck, splitting times between two MMOs, bye bye vultures return to online poker...

BTW, my char name is VultureX. Probably going to join Eve U corp at first to get all the good newbie info and then from there who knows... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Madtown and i are still playing it. As are one or two others including chigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to try it, but maybe I will. Is the twoplustwo channel still active?
Old 09-15-2007, 04:21 PM

fnord,

Yeah I was chatting on it last night with wiz
Old 09-15-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fnord,

Yeah I was chatting on it last night with wiz

[/ QUOTE ]

you are vultureX? MT = Jack Ryebeck?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:13 PM

Yeah Im vulturex, other dude is not MT, its a guy that mostly lurks here. Sorry I had to bail on you when you got one.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Mezkit - thanks but if you change your mind about quitting

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry about the ganking, would love like to see you back in the twoplustwo channel again someday.

[/ QUOTE ]
BTW, I was Mezitt. I canceled my subscription and uninstalled everything EVE-related.

For those who don't know, my EVE story was I spent about 6 months with very infrequent playtimes (I have kids). I had almost 10mill skill points, mostly in amarr ships and gunnery. Towards the end, I finally joined a tiny corp that I interacted with very little, but which had an alliance that allowed them to play in 0.0 space some.

I was pretty disappointed with the multi-player aspect of my EVE experience. I don't know what is normal for most EVE players. In EverQuest I was used to grouping or raiding daily, whereas in EVE, it was purely solo play. I would have preferred a game experience where I team up with some other people to take on more challenging encounters, but it never occurred. I can't tell if that's my fault, or just the way the game is played.

I really liked the skilling system in EVE, because it let me feel like I was progressing my character in a game without the obscene playtimes MMOs normally require, but the PVP-centric/death-penalty aspects of the game were not my cup of tea.

Also, in EverQuest, I felt skilled. The practice of playing my character gave me experience (not XP), so that my enchanter or my cleric became more and more familiar at the appropriate tactics and timings required for different situations and encounters. In EVE, I never felt like my decisions had much affect on combat. Maybe it was my limited understanding of the game, but it seemed like just "target, orbit, and fire". The only decision I was really making during combat was when to run the repairer.

Anyways... The last few weeks of my EVE play was one bad beat after another. My second day in 0.0, I was killing some rat when I saw a pirate enter local. I immediately started warping to my safe spot to get my ship aligned, then aborted my warp because I only needed about 20 seconds to finish killing the last rat battleship. Then initiated warp as he died. Somehow the pirate found me, warped to me, and and warp-jammed me in that ~25 second window, costing me my tricked out battlecruiser. This was followed by a podkill while flying a shuttle out of 0.0 to get me a new ship for ratting. That was enough to send me crying back to high sec space. A week later I was in a level 4 mission when a bunch of gurista target-jammers kept me from killing anything in my HAC. I warped out, flew to Jita and bought a radar strength booster, and went back in. Despite this boosting device, I still couldn't keep a target for crap at all, and a second wave of warp-jamming guristas added, and I die a slow, agonizing death unable to fight or flee. Now I have no ship left except my destroyer I used for looting/salvaging, and not much money. So then I fly 30 jumps away because I found a good price on battleship on eve-central, and while flying back in an empty, uninsured ship on autopilot AFK through high-sec space, I got podded again, this time losing >100mill in implants! I didn't even know this was possible.

That was the last straw. So, I flipped out, sent chigger all my money, and uninstalled. (I guess the smart thing to do would have been to set skilling on some month-long skill, in case I change my mind a month later, but whatever, I don't particularly want to change my mind.)
Old 09-16-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Mezkit - thanks but if you change your mind about quitting

[ QUOTE ]

I was pretty disappointed with the multi-player aspect of my EVE experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eve is rather open ended. The multi-player aspect is there if you join a corp and pvp/mission/mine with it. You just have to actually try.

Afk flying unfit ships makes me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] but that is some [censored] griefing someone did to you since there is absolutely no gain for them in that. Best they could have done is salvage...

Your HAC getting jammed that badly is pretty [censored] too, sounds like a pretty lame mission setup. Jamming rats are really retarded.

However, you could have borrowed money from any of us to keep going if you wanted to. Still can really if you ever have an interest in playing again.

Anyway o7, i'd say the twoplustwo channel has been quieter without you but you really only talked to chigger [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].