Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think the purpose of the epilogue, as others have mentioned, was both to give closure to the situation, and to ensure that others do not start their own spin-offs. But JK has definitely still left a lot of room for writing more if she ever gets the urge. Just b/c Voldemort never came back doesn't mean that they could not have run into other crazy/interesting adventures in the 19 years that elapse...

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense. HP is copyrighted. People can't just write more books without her consent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Copyrights expire eventually. See, ie: "Van Helsing." See Also: "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

[/ QUOTE ]

According to wiki, LXG was produced with Alan Moore's acquiescence. And if you're willing to take as many liberties as Van Helsing did, do you really think a skimpy epilogue is going to stop you?

[/ QUOTE ]

The point about LOTG is that Moore was working with literay characters all of whom had transitioned to the public domain. I think we're talking like 100 years before that would be true of Harry Potter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Margaret Mitchell's descendants still own the copyright to 'Gone With the Wind'.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:07 AM

I would think based on book 7 that Voldy wants there to be panic that he may or may not be back. Look at the great lengths he went to in book 7 to not be seen but only thought to be involved.

I would imagine that due to the prestige that DD has, if Harry Potter was to be killed while under DD protection, there wouldnt be much guess as to who did it. But if Harry died doign something dangerous, like the triwizard tourney, well then you cant blame Voldy for that one.

Also we need to remember that Voldy wants extra flair in his acts. He wants to prove that he is the smarter/stronger/more powerful than anyone else and so simply killing harry wouldnt be enough...He would need to humiliate harry and to some extent DD.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would imagine that due to the prestige that DD has, if Harry Potter was to be killed while under DD protection, there wouldnt be much guess as to who did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harry gets himself into a life threatening situation every 3 chapters. Killing him and dropping him in the forest says 'voldemort' no more (and probably less) than does hoaxing the goblet and having him dissapear from the face of the earth in a maze where there was no known way to dissapear.

[ QUOTE ]
He wants to prove that he is the smarter/stronger/more powerful than anyone else and so simply killing harry wouldnt be enough...He would need to humiliate harry and to some extent DD.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to contradict your above statement. I mean, you cant point out that DD is going to think "ohh damn, the maze got him... well, at least its not voldemort!" if he dies in the maze and then say the maze is a good way to stick it to dumbledore.

I really doubt that voldemort couldnt have just killed Harry and left him somewhere without it being more "obviously" him. I mean, how many times do they say in 4 that someone is "out to get Harry." ?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:16 PM

I dont buy the "harry was in trouble every 3 chapters or so. Really up until this book, Voldy didnt have any true opportunities to kill Harry...He needed wormtail to help set plans in motion. I think its fairly obvious that in a weakened state, Voldy couldnt just outright attack Harry.

No the maze provided a scenerio where DD did not have complete control. He could not interfere with the competition. It provided the perfect scenerio where Harry was on his own without anybody to able to help him. We see based of of Cedrics death that it was just chalked up to the intensity of the tournament and that deaths happen. It could be passed off as somethign that happens when dealing with that level of magic.

But if cedric were to be killed randomly while in a safe environment there would be many more questions (see CoS where without even a death they were close to shutting down the school.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:03 PM

Part of me thinks that Harry completely dissappearing inside the maze, where this was supposed to be impossible, is going to produce just as many questions as harry being found dead in the forrest, or some other simple frame job. And without any of the effort.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:46 AM

I really liked the book, and of course loved the series.

Just off the top of my head.
I really liked:
- Snape's love of Lilly. You knew in Book 6 that theres no way Snape had been playing Dumbledore for 15 years, that DD had known something we didn't, but I didn't imagine it would be so satisfying.
- Dobby's death. Giving his life to rescue Harry from the same place Harry saved him from.
- Petunia's envy of Lilly's power, desire to go to Hogwarts + Snape being the awful boy she talks about in Book 5.
- Harry's "death".
- Dumbledore's past + reason for trying to use the stone.
- The settings. In discussions with friends previous to release, we were pretty sure the final showdown would be in the great hall and that Gringots, complete with an appearance by the foremerly unseen dragon, would play a crucial role. Both were well down IMO as was most all the settings.

I wasn't crazy about:
- The Epilogue.
- The loss of the Firebolt. Obv Hedwig's death should be emphasized way more, but it just seemed odd to destroy what is pretty much Harry's prized possession without reference.
- Harry is a Horcrux revelation. I was hoping this would be handled a little different and realized a little sooner, primarily because it was pretty obvious from book 6.
- Killing off one twin without having the reaction of the other. This really struck me as odd actually, could have been really, really good too I think.
- Hermoine's part in the book. She def has her moments, shows her brilliance and Dumbledore reinforces her importance to Harry's success, but I felt her character could use more definition in the book.
- Hagrid. But I haven't been crazy about Hagrid's role in the entire latter half of the series.
- Ron speaking Parseltoungue/entering the Chamber of Secrets with ease.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:52 AM

Yeah i thought ron speaking parseltongue was dumb. Didnt they say Harry could because he had some of Vold. soul.

ron just out of nowhere can speak it and get inside the COS.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:53 AM

I wish they would write 20 more books. DD past, Voldemort's past, etc.

They do this kind of stuff with star wars books, i dont know why they couldnt do it with harry potter.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah i thought ron speaking parseltongue was dumb. Didnt they say Harry could because he had some of Vold. soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah pretty weak. He cant speak it. Just remembers hearing Harry talking in it and did his best to mimic it. Apparently it took him a while, but still a stretch for sure
Old 07-28-2007, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah pretty weak. He cant speak it. Just remembers hearing Harry talking in it and did his best to mimic it. Apparently it took him a while, but still a stretch for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't care for it. But, is speaking one word of a foreign language really a big stretch?