Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Did you used to watch He-Man?
Yes 12 85.71%
No 2 14.29%
I suck; show me the results 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: 2006 - 2007 NBA Season Discussion Thread

[ QUOTE ]
capone0,

The salary cap also serves as a counterbalance against stocking up on stars. Sure, you could land the #1 pick two years in a row and by some miracle they could both end up living up to their promise and coexisting peacefully, but if you're doling out $15M+ per on two guys that doesn't leave much room to build a supporting cast. I guess at some point a Steinbrenner-esque owner could come along, happy to pay the luxury tax in order to build a dynasty but for now the system is pretty solid as it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when do you pay rookies +15 million a year? Rookie contracts are by far the best contracts of anyone in the NBA. They are ton better than the rediculousness they have in the NFL. I don't think this is a problem. Most championships have been won with 2 superstars or 1 superstar and 2 good players.

Shaq+Kobe
Shaq+Wade
Duncan+Parker+Manu
Pippen+Jordan
Hakeem+Drexler
Magic + Kareem with Worthy
Old 04-04-2007, 02:31 PM

capone0,

"Since when do you pay rookies +15 million a year?"

Yeah no sh*t Sherlock, I was referring to locking them down for the long term. The examples you went on to list - with the possible exception of Wade - were all veteran players with high-end contracts.

The rest of your post makes sense, with the common thread among all of them being very good/astute general managers (or in the case of Miami, favorable reffing and an opponent falling apart).
Old 04-04-2007, 02:34 PM

Still if your picks don't both become superstars you don't have to pay them superstar money. If they do you should for most part be set. There haven't been that many 2 superstar teams that have totally failed. I know there probally are though but for the most part if you can get 2 superstars you should be contending for a title. I don't think the current system if they didn't have a lottery would prevent a team from succeeding.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly who does *not* taking benefit? The fans who are at late-season games looking for a win that doesn't mean anything anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you continually tank to get a top pick but fail to get the real prizes of the draft, your team won't have many fans in a few years, and that's a lot of money to lose.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:11 PM

I just think the current system is a [censored] joke. You have 4 or 5 teams just trying to dump games. It makes the end of the season, sans a few playoff races incredibly [censored]. Oh yeah, a Boston-Bucks matchup. Please shoot me in the face. The quality of the product is one reason people cite for their lack of interest in the league. If a team knew they were getting a #1 pick, the buzz would be unreal in that city. Why do fans have to battle through multiple rebuilding years because they aren't getting *rewarded* for the poor season before. To me its just like trying to pay off a credit card, but instead of knowing you can pay the full balance, you have instead are battling for a chance to pay the full balance, and in many cases you are just making the minimum payment. Man, that [censored] sucks.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think the current system is a [censored] joke. You have 4 or 5 teams just trying to dump games. It makes the end of the season, sans a few playoff races incredibly [censored]. Oh yeah, a Boston-Bucks matchup. Please shoot me in the face. The quality of the product is one reason people cite for their lack of interest in the league. If a team knew they were getting a #1 pick, the buzz would be unreal in that city. Why do fans have to battle through multiple rebuilding years because they aren't getting *rewarded* for the poor season before. To me its just like trying to pay off a credit card, but instead of knowing you can pay the full balance, you have instead are battling for a chance to pay the full balance, and in many cases you are just making the minimum payment. Man, that [censored] sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm OK with the current system of a lottery. The NFL's system is a lot worse.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:45 PM

Gilbert Arenas has a sprained knee....no clue on how long he'll be out yet.

Lol at the thoughts of the Wizards in the playoffs without Arenas and Butler. Has there ever been a worse playoff starting 5 than:

Antonio Daniels
Deshawn Stevenson
Jarvis Hayes
Antawn Jamison
Brendan Haywood
Old 04-04-2007, 10:09 PM

G Wallace destroys the Wizards x2.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:52 PM

Bucks try to one up the Cs sitting Al Jefferson by sitting Redd, and the Bucks STILL win.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gilbert Arenas has a sprained knee....no clue on how long he'll be out yet.

Lol at the thoughts of the Wizards in the playoffs without Arenas and Butler. Has there ever been a worse playoff starting 5 than:

Antonio Daniels
Deshawn Stevenson
Jarvis Hayes
Antawn Jamison
Brendan Haywood

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]