Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: ** Official August Chat Thread: The White Swan **

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one with no ambition to move up?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are one of the very few. Is there a reasoned argument you can provide to actually dissuade those that want to play for a living from moving up? Just wondering, maybe some good discussion can come from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOOO, I can!

At least for me, I know I'm not good enough to win at 400 or higher, so unless I magically turn into a kick ass player in the next few years, I'm not moving up because I don't want to get my ass handed to me. That being said, I know I can kill 100 and grind out a decent, unspectacular winrate at 200, so I'm okay with staying in my little rut because it's enough to live on (not as a rich baller, but I don't really care about that).

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no motivation to get better as a player, to be able to beat 400nl? You say in the next couple years..? So someone who kills 100nl can't improve enough to beat 400nl within a couple years? I don't think there is some spectacular skill needed for poker, just study, thought, analyzation, etc.

You have no desire to go from 3ptbb+ at 100nl to 2ptbb at 400nl?

I mean I can guarantee you can go from 25nl and playing your first real hands of poker to 200nl winner and taking shots at 400nl in under 9 months, so I bet it wouldn't be nearly as hard to try to improve your game from 100nl --> 400nl in a couple years time.

My main thing is if I wanted to play poker full time I would want to do it because of the flexibility, et cetera, not because I wanted to sit in my house and play for 8hours a day to grind out my rent. It just seems like having no motivation to move up et cetera is pointless. Of course you can get better, of course you can improve your game and beat 400nl+, just look at GM et al
Old 08-23-2007, 05:15 PM

My month will be complete if I can get 100NL back into the green for the month. I am oh so close!!

My graph is way too damn swingy, I play for stacks too much. And I need to learn how to fold!!!
maybe next month.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are one of the very few. Is there a reasoned argument you can provide to actually dissuade those that want to play for a living from moving up? Just wondering, maybe some good discussion can come from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOOO, I can!

At least for me, I know I'm not good enough to win at 400 or higher, so unless I magically turn into a kick ass player in the next few years, I'm not moving up because I don't want to get my ass handed to me. That being said, I know I can kill 100 and grind out a decent, unspectacular winrate at 200, so I'm okay with staying in my little rut because it's enough to live on (not as a rich baller, but I don't really care about that).

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no motivation to get better as a player, to be able to beat 400nl? You say in the next couple years..? So someone who kills 100nl can't improve enough to beat 400nl within a couple years? I don't think there is some spectacular skill needed for poker, just study, thought, analyzation, etc.

I mean I can guarantee you can go from 25nl and playing your first real hands of poker to 200nl winner and taking shots at 400nl in under 9 months, so I bet it wouldn't be nearly as hard to try to improve your game from 100nl --> 400nl in a couple years time.

My main thing is if I wanted to play poker full time I would want to do it because of the flexibility, et cetera, not because I wanted to sit in my house and play for 8hours a day to grind out my rent. It just seems like having no motivation to move up et cetera is pointless. Of course you can get better, of course you can improve your game and beat 400nl+, just look at GM et al

[/ QUOTE ]

I really meant this more as "in the next 2-3 years" and not "for the rest of my life." I'd like to eventually move up to 400-600, but not anytime soon, and not until I get significantly better. For now, I'm okay sticking at 100-200 and grinding while I tinker my game and continue to improve...I'm not one who says, "My BR hit $X, so I will immediately be moving up to Y level!"
Old 08-23-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My goal is to be able to beat 100NL and possibly 200NL.

For the next year or so my goal is to be able to stay at 100NL and grind out 4K or so a month, at least until all of my debt is paid off.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOOO, I can!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really meant this more as "in the next 2-3 years" and not "for the rest of my life." I'd like to eventually move up to 400-600, but not anytime soon, and not until I get significantly better. For now, I'm okay sticking at 100-200 and grinding while I tinker my game and continue to improve...I'm not one who says, "My BR hit $X, so I will immediately be moving up to Y level!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I am somewhat the same way. But once again if you work hard the jump from killing 100nl to beating 400nl isn't a matter of years, but months [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're lighting money on fire dood. What rational explanation do you have for not moving to at least 1/2? The games are almost exactly the same at 1/2. With your skills, there's nothing to be scared of.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:26 PM

I want to be a 2/4 and 3/6 regular before this year ends, and taking shots at 5/10 when the games are good.

Now if only I had p0kerboy's motivation to grind out 100K hands a month. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It's a lot harder than it sounds. I'm lucky if I hit 50K hands a month.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:31 PM

I actually intend to sit at nl200 for a long time. I want to grind out some steady bucks for a while, pay some bills etc.

I've decided I want to make $30K at nl200 before I move on to nl400.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:33 PM

I dont know if i want too move up from nl 5. It's so much fun. I also really like having a ptbb in the late 20's as i know i wont ever achieve it at another level.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Damnit, grrouchie why couldn't you have 3bet preflop and saved me the $96? Hope this donation helps [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $97.85
BB: $118.75
UTG: $100.50
UTG+1: $574.90
MP1: $42.65
Hero (MP2): $231.05
CO: $98.35
BTN: $38.50

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4.00</font>, 2 folds, SB calls $3.50, BB folds

Flop: ($9) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $6.00</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $24.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $223.00</font>, SB calls all-in for $69.85
Uncalled bet of $129.15 returned to Hero

Turn: ($196.70) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

River: ($196.70) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $196.70 ($3 Rake)

SB had K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a straight, Ten to Ace) and WON (+$95.85)
Hero had A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and LOST (-$97.85)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you really think you had any FE here? Seems like a pretty standard call of the $24 to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't put him on anything huge, I figured TT+, AK, would've 3bet me preflop; I was confused and convinced myself he was on Kxhh, KQ, etc., but he totally outplayed me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].
Closed Thread