bet/call 5 41.67%
bet/3b 5 41.67%
check/raise 1 8.33%
bet/fold (NITS) 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2007, 11:17 PM

Default Re: AJ - 450 bbs deep

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Turn: ($38.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ?

[/ QUOTE ]

either check-raise all in ("stack-a-donk") or keep betting.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: jb is UTG with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

raise preflop, and then just keep betting throughout the hand (maybe check call that particular river)

as played, if you're going to check the flop, you need to go for the check raise. if opponent can't call a CR on the flop (maybe with Kx? or better) you're not going to get much value out of him anyway.

on a K42 (two flush) flop, villain either has a hand or he doesn't - there's not much chance that he has a marginal, second best hand that he'll call any significant bets with.

so, try to get it all in sooner. checking down big made hands is not a good strategy.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
villain is ~ 26/26/5 over 20 hands.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($87.60)
BB ($28.50)
UTG ($83.55)
MP ($57.40)
Button ($35.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $5.50.

Flop: ($15.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $11.5</font>, UTG calls $11.50.

Turn: ($38.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had 100bb effective stacks here I think you could shove the turn. He could be playing some smaller overpairs this way. However, considering your effective stacks are more like 165 bb's you have to be a little more careful.

If you had a larger sample size I would tread very carefully with this villain. Twenty hands though it's hard to give the stats too much credence. I think I'm betting like $25 on the turn and seeing what happens. I'm probably going to get it in if it comes to that but not be too thrilled about it.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop, and then just keep betting throughout the hand (maybe check call that particular river)

as played, if you're going to check the flop, you need to go for the check raise. if opponent can't call a CR on the flop (maybe with Kx? or better) you're not going to get much value out of him anyway.

on a K42 (two flush) flop, villain either has a hand or he doesn't - there's not much chance that he has a marginal, second best hand that he'll call any significant bets with.

so, try to get it all in sooner. checking down big made hands is not a good strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know all that but thank you for re-enforcing it. I'm not sure what the hell I was doing here. I believe that open limp might be one of maybe 3 times I've done that in the 20,000 hands of 6 max I've played.

I've not been getting any action on my flopped sets lately and I guess I'm letting it screw up my play.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've not been getting any action on my flopped sets lately and I guess I'm letting it screw up my play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, checking down your sets is probably not a way to generate action
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

More substantially, I suspect that the "equity value" (I'm trying to explain a concept I don't recall reading, so my words might be crap) when you have a set is going to overwhelmingly come from a small number of hands - hands when you have a big hand (a set) and someone else has a big, but worse, hand.

Given that, I'd focus on getting money when your opponent also has a big hand. If he has nothing, you're not going to get much out regardless of how you play it.

As played, assuming he had AK, you've managed to get the precise minimum out of him.

Reverse the situation, and look at it from the point of view of the villain:

If you had AK in late position against an EP limper, you'd raise. On a K42 (two flush) board, you'd put out a decent sized cbet. If villain (in this case, the EP limper - you) check/called, and then the J came making the flush, AK would almost certainly check behind.

Then, come the river, if the EP limper makes a small value bet, I'd probably pay it off - but I certainly wouldn't call a big river bet.

By contrast, if you played your hand early and fast, you'd have a lot more in the pot on the flop (quite possibly, all of it) and the pot odds offered to AK (for example) on the turn and river would be too generous to refuse.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, checking down your sets is probably not a way to generate action

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I didn't check it down all the way. I managed to get a pot sized raise in on the river after he hit his 2 outer... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

(Actually probably a good thing I got outdrawn. If I hadn't maybe I don't review this hand too carefully and I continue playing sub-optimally for longer.)
Old 11-14-2007, 12:12 AM

Default $25NL 2 pr

31/3/0/98hnds... line ok?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($24.65)
UTG ($28.35)
UTG+1 ($12.50)
MP1 ($10.75)
MP2 ($14.05)
CO ($58.40)
Button ($42.10)
Hero ($38)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.25, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($1.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $3</font>, MP2 folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7.75</font>, MP1 calls $4.75.

River: ($16.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, MP1 calls $2.75 (All-In).

Final Pot: $22.25
Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Re: $25NL 2 pr

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd fold preflop, but otherwise everything is fine.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd fold preflop, but otherwise everything is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think completing here is standard with 3 limpers in ahead.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:43 AM

Gross generalisations and estimates*:

-you essentially only get paid off if you hit two pair or a straight**.

-You make that something in the order of 1 in 30 or so times.

-you're putting 15c in to see the flop

-when you make your straight or two pair,, you need to win 30 * 15 = $4.50 on average

-i doubt if you can do that on average, but i'll defer to you if you think you can

*you can fiddle around with these numbers. they are probably excessively conservative in favour of folding

**i assume that the profit that you make when you hit top pair or trips is somewhat balanced by the times someone beats you with a bigger kicker or other stronger hand. obviously it isn't quite, but being oop helps compensate too.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-when you make your straight or two pair,, you need to win 30 * 15 = $4.50 on average

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the pot being 5-way and the tendency of players at NL25 to pay off with their stacks when they make a pair makes averaging $4.50 when you hit your 1-in-30 flop a reasonable expectation.

I don't have any hard data to back this up though, maybe I just like seeing flops. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]