View Poll Results: 9. FR SB w/ AKo
Raise 26 63.41%
Call 12 29.27%
Fold 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

[ QUOTE ]
What has A-Rod actually done besides pile up individual stats and piles of money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um I dunno, be on pace for the greatest statistical career in a sport where statistics are considered very good representation of a players worth.

So besides becoming the greatest baseball player of all time, I guess nothing.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:39 AM

So the keys for the Yankeees are a catcher who will turn 37 this year, a backup catcher who has blasted 16 home runs in his 8 major league seasons, a backup first basemen who's played with five teams the past four years, a forty-five year old pitcher who only likes to play the second half of the season, another pitcher who'll turn 36 this year and has been musing about retiring the last three years, a 38-year old closer, and those immortals Luis Vizcaino and Ron Villone?

Oh, and, I forgot, that guy who drove in 156 runs. They've lost him.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the media for reporting this story during the World Series and then blaming A-Rod for said story.

[censored] tools.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at blaming this on the media. Boras decided to tell the Yankees and make this public during the World Series. Even if they didn't mention it on the Fox broadcast, SI had it by early in the game and it was all over every other news and sports broadcast by the seventh inning. Do you want the media to collectively ignore this story for the "good of the game"?

Gammons was pissed because he was on the field after the Saux won the series and he was being asked questions about A-Rod. He first tried to answer the question and then went into his mini-tirade about the fact that this was happening today, during the World Series (and the rest that is paraphrased in someone else's post).
Old 10-29-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ernie Banks wasn't as self-centered as A-Rod. He also didn't take up 20-35% of a team's payroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you live in never never land or something? Ernie banks is gonna turn down making as much money as he could? Riiight. I love these people that act like the great players of the past didn't care about money like the players of today. The only difference is the players today can get the money.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What has A-Rod actually done besides pile up individual stats and piles of money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure there's a correlation between piling up individual stats and helping a team win. If that's true, and I think it is, Arod's presence might have been the reason the Yankees made the playoffs this year.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So the keys for the Yankeees are a catcher who will turn 37 this year, a backup catcher who has blasted 16 home runs in his 8 major league seasons, a backup first basemen who's played with five teams the past four years, a forty-five year old pitcher who only likes to play the second half of the season, another pitcher who'll turn 36 this year and has been musing about retiring the last three years, a 38-year old closer, and those immortals Luis Vizcaino and Ron Villone?

Oh, and, I forgot, that guy who drove in 156 runs. They've lost him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading comprehension? Where did the post you are responding to say anything about keys for Yankees to sign. There was a list of "key Yankee free agents" which I assume to mean Yankee free agents that played important rolls (for better or worse) in 2007... just shows that the Yankees have lots of holes to fill.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um I dunno, be on pace for the greatest statistical career in a sport where statistics are considered very good representation of a players worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

The greatest baseball player of all time, but one for whom nothing other than individual accomplishment and wealth mean anything. He doesn't truly care whether or not he wins a title, because team accomplishments don't seem to really mean much to him.

Really, what's the difference between having $500m and $300m? What's the difference between ending up with 925 or 875 home runs? No one will really care, because the numbers as astronomical either way.

But the difference between winning a World Series and not ever winning one? That's what folks on the street will care about and remember more.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

The greatest baseball player of all time, but one for whom nothing other than individual accomplishment and wealth mean anything. He doesn't truly care whether or not he wins a title, because team accomplishments don't seem to really mean much to him.

Really, what's the difference between having $500m and $300m? What's the difference between ending up with 925 or 875 home runs? No one will really care, because the numbers as astronomical either way.

But the difference between winning a World Series and not ever winning one? That's what folks on the street will care about and remember more.

[/ QUOTE ]

yankee fans make me lol

when arod was carrying the team on his back in april, and he had all those big hits, you didnt think he cared? his emotion when he got all those big hits was fake?

he is probably leaving cause yankee fans are douches
Old 10-29-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A-rod signs with Rockies for $12 mil per, 3% interest in Coors. Rockies win WS in 2008,09,11,12,13,16,17,18,20

you heard it here first

[/ QUOTE ]

Strangely enough, I would probably like him a lot more if he did this, and would become a quasi-Rockies fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Rockies don't need A-Rod to win the World Series -- they can hit .220 as a team as well without him as with him. They could have used Johan Santana, perhaps...

A-Rod is a self-centered toxic presence on a team that drains resources better spent elsewhere. He is a fantastic talent, and may go down as the greatest hitter in history, but it speaks volumes that no matter where he plays, on teams that actually have a lot of talent besides himself, that team does not win a World Series.

It's a good thing there are only a small number of teams that can afford A-Rod, because that narrows down the list of clubs subject to the dysfuncionality of his presence.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does not speak volumes at all. Unless you think Ernie Banks was a cancer too. Jesus people do you guys even THINK about all the great players who have never won or played in a World Series before you say stupid things?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ernie Banks wasn't as self-centered as A-Rod. He also didn't take up 20-35% of a team's payroll. Obv, one person doesn't win a World Series. But one person can be a part of why a team doesn't win one, and I'm not even talking about a subpar OPS in postseason play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. So why don't you look at Ernie Banks and say stupid things like "Well, I guess Banks proves that if you aren't self-centered and you don't take up 25% of the teams payroll, then you just cannot win the WS." Oh right because that would be idiotic.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the media for reporting this story during the World Series and then blaming A-Rod for said story.

[censored] tools.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at blaming this on the media. Boras decided to tell the Yankees and make this public during the World Series. Even if they didn't mention it on the Fox broadcast, SI had it by early in the game and it was all over every other news and sports broadcast by the seventh inning. Do you want the media to collectively ignore this story for the "good of the game"?

Gammons was pissed because he was on the field after the Saux won the series and he was being asked questions about A-Rod. He first tried to answer the question and then went into his mini-tirade about the fact that this was happening today, during the World Series (and the rest that is paraphrased in someone else's post).

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they dont have to ignore it for the good of the game. They just cannot TALK about it and then complain about how wrong it is that they are talking about it. If they want to ignore it and then blast Arod, fine. If they want to talk about it, fine. But they cannot talk about it AND blast Arod.