Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Girl Can\'t Name All the Continents?!

[ QUOTE ]

So if it takes you 100 words to say "girls are stupid" does that make you super smart?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:57 PM

When I was in fourth grade, my class was having a geography competition.

When it was my trun, the teacher asker me "In what continent does the Amazon river flow?"

Being sure of the answer, I immediatly answered "South America".

Teacher said "No, it's North America".

I said something like "I'm sure it's South America".

She pointed to the map to show me that it was in North America. I didn't understand what she was pointing to, but not wanting to argue anymore, I gave in.

That evening, I told my parents this story. They said I must have misunderstood the question, and I thought that must be the case, because I knew the Amazon was in South America.

The next day, the teacher said that she had made a mistake because she thought the question was asking what continent the Amazon flowed to [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2006, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you said you didn't know where China was, then yes, I'd call you stupid, because China is a major player in the world and anyone "smart" needs to know that. This is not the case for libya.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying it would be impossible for you to explain to me in writing exactly where China is without using the continents?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't know the 7 continents then it is highly unlikely that you know anything about what is happening in the world now or throughout history.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, the lack of logic in this statement is a much stronger indication of intelligence than knowing the names of the continents.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:53 AM

It's more of an intuitive judgment. I just can't imagine having a conversation about Israeli-European relations with someone who gets stumped on Europe when asked what the 7 continents are. I can't imagine this person could name the decade in which WWII was fought or what the Cold War was about.

And just how do you describe in writing the location of China without using the word Asia? uh... its across that big water thingy somewhere east of that continent where all the countries are.

Someone who doesn't know the continents isn't likely to know China's geographic location based on the countries it borders.

Or I could be totally wrong. Maybe she is the next U.N. ambassador. After all, not knowing the names of the 7 continents in the world isn't really important.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you're wrong...not knowing the names of all the continents is like not knowing the earth revolves around the sun. It shows a complete lack of basic knowledge of the world in general.

Spelling mistakes are much less severe.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no clue how you could say that. In terms of severity spelling errors are going to negatively impact someone's success way more than random trivial facts.

This whole topic also goes to the value of a college degree. In my line of work I am regularly involved in the hiring process. I don't give a crap about someone's education (in fact I tell them to put it at the bottom of their resume), I've met a billion degreed people who are idiots and just as many non-degreed people who are smart as hell. It gets REALLY annoying when we have a client who requires a degree. Rare, but it happens.

Cliff's Notes: suigin needs to start writing "you" instead of "u".

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of job are you hiring for? Your GPA and what college you went to are the first thing my interviewers want to know followed by job experience. This is for an engineering position.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, well FWIW most of the people I'm dealing with have 5-10+ years of experience, so the college/GPA isn't often a topic of discussion. Surprisingly few IT people have college degrees, and as mentioned I only care as much as the client does, which is usually very little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ok then, yeah the college and GPA only get you your first job, after that its up to you.