Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Re: ***Official July Fantasy Baseball Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
12 team rotisserie, offered Alf. Soriano, Hanley Ramirez, and Dan Haren for Jose Reyes and Sizemore. I lead in basically all hitting categories, big lead in steals, but I am last in ERA and WHIP, I should accept this trade right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I got someone to accept Bonds for Haren straight up... and my league vetoed the trade (it's a league vote - not a commissioner veto)

What the [censored]? It is pretty obvious that they are only doing that to spite me because my lead is so big on the rest of the league.

Would it be [censored] of me to say I'm vetoing every single trade, no matter what, from here on out unless my Bonds trade goes through? I can see absolutely no reason to veto that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Karak,

Veto systems suck. The only trades you shouldn't veto are the ones that hurt your closest competitors. What site is this? Is there an overide option? Who are they saying is getting the better end of the deal?

I used to play in two leagues. I had a trade vetoed in one of them. I'd rather fly 1000 miles (which I litterally do) every year to draft than have to deal with EVER getting a trade vetoed. Try open market trading.

Also, get Sheets back on your roster. I've heard the longest he'll be out is six weeks, maybe as little as two.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:31 AM

NT and Sloth,
The guy is at it again and he is desperate to make a move. He offered Johan/Texeira for Braun/Peavy. Thoughts?

BTW since I have posted I've regained my top spot and currently have a 2.5 point lead (but I could very well fall off to #5 quickly because of the close competition in many categories).
Old 07-19-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NT and Sloth,
The guy is at it again and he is desperate to make a move. He offered Johan/Texeira for Braun/Peavy. Thoughts?

BTW since I have posted I've regained my top spot and currently have a 2.5 point lead (but I could very well fall off to #5 quickly because of the close competition in many categories).

[/ QUOTE ]

Take this deal. Both players you are getting are better than what you are giving up. Ryan Braun is awesome, but he's not going to keep this up all year. Plus I read this morning that Peavy has been taking anti-inflammatory medication for a sore right bicep. His wind-up and delivery have always been herky-jerrky, and the possibility of him getting injured because of the way he throws has always been there. Take the deal before the other guy realizes he's making a mistake.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:57 AM

ugh, I just had to do a fire drill to pick up salary (I was way under the cap, didn't know, so I had 1 hour to pick up salary). how much did I give up here?

traded Gorzellany ($1), Casey Blake ($1), and Stephen Drew ($6) for Wang ($12) and Bill Hall ($19)

Hall will be my SS once he comes back, until then Mark Reynolds will fill in if/when he playes. I figure Wang and Gorzy are pretty close in value? similar era and whop, gorzy k's more, wang should get more wins? Hall should be an upgrade over Drew I think.

and blake was kind of an extra guy for me. he was productive, but sitting on my bench a lot.

edit: the alternative to this was activating Huston Street and releasing Homer Bailey. perhaps this would have been better? I had to make a quick decision.

double edit: I'll no longer have to release someone when Street comes back, so I get the benefit of a roster spot by trading 3 for 2 here?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:00 PM

Wait, what? Your league has a rule that you can't be under the cap? If so, that sucks. I don't like this trade. Gorzellany has more upside than Wang, and was a nice deal for you at $1. Drew also has a higher ceiling than Hall, who may have been a flash in the pan last year. Plus $19 is a lot for Hall, regardless of what he did last year. And a $1 Casey Blake is pretty sweet considering the numbers he is putting up this year. The only good thing I can say about this is you didn't release Homer Bailey to activate Street.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, what? Your league has a rule that you can't be under the cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, this is partially to protect guys from dumping/quitting on their teams. so the last place guys doesn't trade all his best players to the best team for 3 jokers. it's pretty flexible though: the draft cap is $275, and during the season we need to stay between $200 and $325.

something to keep in mind - unless you are bumping up against the cap, the salaries are only relevant if you are planning on keeping a guy next year at $3 inflation. So I'm not going to keep Bill Hall at $22 next year. If Stephen Drew going to be worth $9 next year? Maybe. More importantly, will I be able to get a comparable shortstop next year for $9 or less? I think there is a good chance of that, so didn't mind giving up Drew. for this year, I think Hall >> Drew as a SS. (and as an aside, if Drew's #'s don't turn improve, he might even be cheaper next year)

Re: Casey Blake, again, he went for $1 this year at the draft and is old. How much is he or a comparable guy going to cost at next years draft? If it's around $4, I don't mind giving him up.

Gorzellany is the tougher one, b/c he looks like a deal at $4 next year. but he is way outperforming expecations, and Wang is pretty dependable/solid.

there are other guys who have huge value for next year imho. Corey Hart and Kelly Johnson are both $1 guys who I think would go for $15 - $20 right now if we re-drafted. and I think they are easier predict going forward than a young SP.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:28 PM

Since you weren't keeping Blake or Drew, and you aren't planning on keeping Hall or Wang, the trade basically amounts to dumping Gorzellany to open up a spot for Street. While I still can't say I'm in favor of the trade itself, this move still beats dumping Bailey. Also sounds like you had a small window to operate with in making it happen.

From most of the posts I have read here and elsewhere the last few months, I am starting to think auction / salary cap leagues sound like a lot of fun. I am seriously considering looking into them as an option for next year.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From most of the posts I have read here and elsewhere the last few months, I am starting to think auction / salary cap leagues sound like a lot of fun. I am seriously considering looking into them as an option for next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man, it is sooo much better. granted this is my first year playing fantasy baseball, but I went to the draft last year (don't ask). it is better in every way except time commitment. you get to bid on every player you are interested in, you get to see people spend $20 on Aubrey Huff, and the keeper aspect takes on a whole new level of complexity ($3 yearly inflation, how many years to sign guys for?)

the downside is that our 15 team draft took all day, like 10 hours or so, b/c it's basically always "your turn".

mentally it's a lot easier than snake drafting, b/c you can put a $ value on every single player, and pretty quickly know if spending $x on player Z is a good idea (at least on draft day). this is more intuitive and interesting than deciding if you should wait until round 8 or 9 to draft someone, b/c you have no idea what the people behind you will do.
my football league moved from snake to auction and not a single person wants to go back to snake.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:41 PM

Didn't see this thread until now.

Just got this trade offer: Jason Bay, Orlando Hudson, Andre Ethier and Jered Weaver to me for Grady Sizemore, Ronnie Belliard, Mike Lamb and Ryan Freel.

My current lineup:

C - Martinez
1B - Young
2B - Fontenot
SS - Jeter
3B - Iwamura
OF - Sizemore, Pence, Byrnes
Util - V Wells
Bench - Belliard (2B), Lamb (1B/3B), Freel (2B/3B/OF), Hamilton (OF - DL)
SP - Oliver Perez, Washburn, Bush, Marshall, Randy Johnson (DL), Garcia (DL)
RP - Hoffman, Ray, Okajima

20-team H2H keeper league, R/HR/RBI/SB/OBP/SLG/W/SV/HLD/K/ERA/WHIP. Currently 2nd, been leading much of the year. My trading partner is near the bottom.

Thoughts?