FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 10:05 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: Ask me about Starbucks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you guys call yourselves "baristas," when most of you do nothing more complicated that pushing a button?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every person in the store (ideally) can make every drink we serve. Just because one person is assigned to work register on a particular day doesn't mean he can't make drinks. We are all fully trained baristas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we talking about a reasonable "ideally I'll be able to fit everything in the trunk" ideally, or a world-peace kind of ideally?

Admittedly I only occasionally go to coffee shops since I don't drink much coffee, and Jazzman's is more convenient for me than Starbucks, so I haven't given the folks behind the counter a good look.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, maybe someone is in training, or maybe someone knows 90% of the drinks, but forgot how to make a blended Strawberry lemonade, or how to do a Frappuccino "Affogato" style. If they are working behind the counter, 95% of the time, they know how to make the drink you just ordered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bad. Better than the TAs at my college [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
CBob,

i have never actually drank coffee in my life, but this thread is truly fascinating and i have always wondered about people with no extra cash who spend $300 plus a month at starbucks. i know a bunch of them too, crazy.

my question for you is this.
i had a friend who i was trying to help overhaul his lifestyle and diet and he drank 3 or 4 of these a day.
holy jeez, no one can overcome that can they??!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutr...age_detail.asp

were you aware, as an employee, of the nutrional value or calorie content of some of these drinks?? and do you see alot of overweight people staying that way probably due to their "bad" coffee habit??

it amazed me.....that is all. oh and cool thread. J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your link took me to a Nutritional chooser type thing, where I had to enter a bunch of options. Yes, I'm aware of how high calorie some of our drinks are.

I'm guessing that the people who are downing three Frappuccinos a day aren't exactly eating salads for their meals, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry bob thought it would come through.

it was a venti iced white chocolate mocha w/whip.

like 610 in cals. so my friend was getting 1800 to 2400+ cals a day in coffee, insanity. i had no idea this was even humanly possible.

so do alot of people drink those crazy things?
they can't be better than a pint of ice cream can they?

thanks man. J.

[/ QUOTE ]

White Mocha has soooo many calories. I remember a big thread on Dunkin Donuts White Hot Chocolate, which quickly turned into a discussion of how horrible it was for you. He needs to cut those out of his diet completely if he actually wants to lose weight.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:13 PM

1. How does the corp feel about me coming into starbucks and looking for moderately intelligent employees to steal to work in my medical office? (i do this with bank tellers also)

2. Why the eff do I get whipped cream when I order a "lite" coffee frap? Its "lite" don't put effin whipped cream on it.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. How does the corp feel about me coming into starbucks and looking for moderately intelligent employees to steal to work in my medical office? (i do this with bank tellers also)

2. Why the eff do I get whipped cream when I order a "lite" coffee frap? Its "lite" don't put effin whipped cream on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. While turnover is lower at Starbucks than your average food/drink service provider, it's still pretty high. So, they don't care too much, it's easily replaceable. I'm waiting for the day that someone takes me.

2. You have retarded baristas. Sorry.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:15 PM

I remember reading that some of those suckers have the calories of a full meal. Yikes.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:03 PM

Do the employees expect a tip when I order a basic coffee and don't tip? Is it more insulting to put my .25 change into the tip jar?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do the employees expect a tip when I order a basic coffee and don't tip? Is it more insulting to put my .25 change into the tip jar?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we expect it, and it's definitely not insulting to drop that quarter. I think anyone who pockets less than 50 cents is a nit. Are you really going to use those pennies?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:05 PM

ajml, good question!

I feel bad when I only get 5 cents in change and tip that. Do employees care? Also when I get 95 cents I tend to pawn one or two quarters and drop the other change. I try to be kind of sneaky about it. Do you think they notice or care?

Also - how much in tips do you average/day? (has this really not been asked yet?)

And finally don't you have some deep dark secret to share?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 PM

speaking of which tip jars at a starbucks seems insanely retarded to me
Old 07-31-2007, 11:08 PM

What is INSANELY retarded is the Coffee Bean by my office has a tip jar at the cashier and a tip jar at the barrista. The barrista one is clearly labeled and right where you pick up your coffee. Like we're supposed to feel bad for the barrista's lonely tip jar and tip twice? Come on.