Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: An Amazing Life

I don't know anything about Scientology yukoncpa...Do you believe in it is that why you brought it up?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know anything about Scientology yukoncpa...Do you believe in it is that why you brought it up?

[/ QUOTE ]

No my friend,

I was born and raised Mormon, but I can’t believe in that. I have friends who are Scientologists and though, I can’t believe in that either, I find their sentiments positive and therefore somewhat compelling. I brought it up to point out that life-after- life, life after death, experiences are experienced by Muslims, Hindu’s, Jews, Scientologists, Christians, etc. You can’t point to a life after death experience and claim it supports a belief in exclusively the Christian faith.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 09-22-2007, 10:27 PM

please assign subjective probabilities to the following options as best you can:

1. he invented the whole story
2. he had some sort of hallucination or dream of "heaven," but some of the story is exaggerated or invented
3. he had some sort of hallucination or dream that included everything he reports
4. he really did "go" to heaven
5. other

to show you what i mean, i'll do it.

1. .05
2. .93
3. .01
4. .000000000000000000000000000001
5. (1 - .05 - .93 - .01 - .000000000000000000000000000001)
Old 09-22-2007, 10:33 PM

Yukoncpa...I wasn't making a claim ...I was just showing the inspiring story of a Texas Baptist minister

Sephus, I can't make guesses about someone else's certainty...
Old 09-22-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yukoncpa...I wasn't making a claim ...I was just showing the inspiring story of a Texas Baptist minister

Sephus, I can't make guesses about someone else's certainty...

[/ QUOTE ]

i want you to make guesses about what happened. i did it. why can't you?

it's your certainty i'm interested in. you can tell me about that.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Sorry, I got on this late. So you're just proselytizing, you're not making any claims that can be debated?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:09 PM

Sorry to confuse you yukoncpa...This thread has gotten so far off track...My main point starting it was the influence Jesus had on nonviolent civil disobedience but it has morphed into a lot of other things...Earlier today luckyme brought up the subject of miracles...so it kind of drifted over to this thread...Sorry again for the confusion...

Not sure why no one saw the linkage to Christ on the civil disobedience...Gandhi himself expressed his admiration for the Sermon on the Mount...one poster did mention jainism which would have been another powerful influence on Gandhi...
Old 09-23-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No Sephus he claims he was actually transported to heaven because he died...He did not have a vision of it...and he didn't have a near death...He says he died...Several EMTs on the scene pronounced him dead and had the tarp over his car with his dead body in the car...He says he was out a lot longer than the 7 minutes usually found as the point of death and he had such massive injuries that his heart stopped...when it stopped he didn't bleed out...He should have bled to death if he hadn't already died from shock...He says people call it a NDE but it was an actual death because his experience lasted a lot longer in time than an NDE (near death experience)...

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's great that his story serves as an inspiration to others. He certainly has been through a lot and it's good that he is still alive after it all.

However, I find it extremely hard to believe that heaven would just happen to look like what a Baptist minister pictured it would looking like. Do you think his story is true? If so, what led you to this conclusion?
Old 09-23-2007, 12:20 AM

I believe he is telling the truth...The facts are such that he would most probably have died on impact from the trauma & shock...there were 7 or 8 EMTs that examined him...they covered up his car/body showing they thought he was dead...They would have instruments to check for vital signs ...The seriousness of his injuries would be enough to convince me he is truthful...You don't care about money when you're in the kind of pain he was in and have physical problems to cope with the rest of your life...He also has the other minister corroborating how he prayed over him...