Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: November 14th: House Judiciary Committee Hearing Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Here is Annie Duke's Transcript from the Chat she just did with the Washington Post, it on the Post's Website now.

Annie Duke's chat transcript from Washington Post

Bryan Spadaro
Membership Relations, Manager
Poker Player Alliance

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that was enough for me to renew my Post subscription. Well done Annie!
TY WP!

D$D
Old 11-14-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What we should try to get is a list of solid questions that a friendly member can submit for the record to the panel. So that if something doesnt come up, it can be gotten in writing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that most have had a chance to watch the hearing, anything in this area you suggest.

Not a guarantee it could happen, but worth considering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Berge,

To clarify, if a member, presumably one who wasn't on the panel, submits such questions, are they typically answered by the panel/staff, or rather are such questions akin to comments entered into the record?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What we should try to get is a list of solid questions that a friendly member can submit for the record to the panel. So that if something doesnt come up, it can be gotten in writing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that most have had a chance to watch the hearing, anything in this area you suggest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Berge,

To clarify, if a member, presumably one who wasn't on the panel, submits such questions, are they typically answered by the panel/staff, or rather are such questions akin to comments entered into the record?

[/ QUOTE ]

This to a large degree, and forgive me for answering, the chairman and the pannel participants who usually agree to such things before testifying.

Given that this is only a very good first step in the process and not akin to the time pressures of a confirmation hearing I would imagine that there will be plenty of opportunities to press great questions and or tacits.

When the hearings become more action forused, for example for one considering the committee passage or up comming vote on a specific piece of legislation then we will have to be much more proactive in making sure certain questions are asked to the right pannelests.

Just an opinion,

D$D
Old 11-14-2007, 09:48 PM

DMD,

You know your "answer" really wasn't one and is so incoherent it makes me wonder if you're on something when you post. My question was a procedural one and not one of tactics. Besides grammar, I suggest you work on reading comprehension, or at least have the courtesy to respond to what someone else said, rather than only using that to go off on a tangent.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:48 PM

Full "fun" exchange:

Rep. Steven Cohen: Is there any fun that you’re for? [laughter in background]
Tom McClusky (FRC): Any what?
Rep. Steven Cohen: Fun.
Tom McClusky: Umm…well, we’re for this, and this seems like a lot of fun.
Rep. Steven Cohen: Hearings?
Tom McClusky: [no response…laughter in background]
Rep. Steven Cohen: Good, good.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:51 PM

One takeaway is that we need to make a lot of UIGEA comments.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One takeaway is that we need to make a lot of UIGEA comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Engineer,

It would seem to me that a more effective tactic than individuals such as ourselves making more comments, would be for us to have a mini-email campaign to try to get businesses to make such comments, which I would think would be taken more seriously. Indeed if we could just prod some trade groups to make more of an effort with their own email campaign to their membership, then that would really leverage our own small input.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Berge,

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd need to be a member on the Judiciary Committee. So Rep. Frank couldn't do it (barring some UC agreement at the start of the hearing)

It's not uncommon, because some members of committess would like to be at a certain hearing and cannot due to scheduling conflicts or they did attend and had to leave before it was their turn to answer questions.

They then submit questions in writing to the panelists for responses on the record.

The Committee often does this as well, if time is limited for some reason or they had more questions than could be asked.

Will give more thoughts in a bit. Eleventy tabling right now. D$D may have a valid point on the necessity or helpfulness of this.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is Annie Duke's Transcript from the Chat she just did with the Washington Post, it on the Post's Website now.

Annie Duke's chat transcript from Washington Post

Bryan Spadaro
Membership Relations, Manager
Poker Player Alliance

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the linky. This question was awesome [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"I feel like my opponents can read me like a book. For example, the other day I was playing a tourney and got dealt pocket rockets -- I immediately started laughing uncontrollably and everyone folded. What can I do?"
Old 11-14-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not uncommon, because some members of committess would like to be at a certain hearing and cannot due to scheduling conflicts or they did attend and had to leave before it was their turn to answer questions.

They then submit questions in writing to the panelists for responses on the record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks but I'm still not clear on something. Are you saying that basically after the hearings are over, such questions will be submitted to the panelists, and then the answers to same will just be submitted as part of the written record, and this is basically a post hearing thing?