Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: aba is my king
yers 59 60.20%
BASTARD 39 39.80%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

[ QUOTE ]

Pitchfork gave Wilco's new album the thumbs-down, but I think it's very good. Nothing groundbreaking like YHF, but an easy listen and a lot of fun at times - some nice solos. Good driving music.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with all of this. It's never gonna be my favorite Wilco album, but it's definitely good. Maybe they just set the bar so high with YHF that it's hard for them to get good reviews, I dunno.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:54 PM

True dat. Not groundbreaking, but still worth the purchase. Lyrically, I dig where Wilco has been headed, and this one is no exception. It won't get the heavy rotation that YHF, AGIG or ST did, but you can't always hit grand slams.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:03 PM

I gotta give that new Wilco album another try, because like the opening five seconds of it kinda turned me off. Weird as that sounds, I just didn't really like that intro chord, and Wilco is one of my personal favorite bands of all time.

Bjork's Volta is really good (and by the way, she puts on a spectacular live show). Nothing else I can think of that's new offhand (although you guys missed out on some killer performances at Coachella).
Old 05-16-2007, 08:08 PM

I can see Battles getting big this year. http://youtube.com/watch?v=IpGp-22t0lU is my favorite single so far this year.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can see Battles getting big this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, a 9.1 from p4k will usually do that. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2007, 10:11 PM

Yes sir, Battles is awesome. Saw them Monday night and they absolutely rocked the place. The room was filled to the brim as well. 300 people is really quite ridiculous for a band whose album wasn't even out yet, and has only had some play online.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:12 AM

Battles is cool. I feel like Ratatat is a must listen if you like Battles but I think most people who like Battles have already heard of Ratatat (or at least that's the way it went for me). If you like this kind of experimental-rock type stuff, you guys should check out Holy F*ck (obviously not censored). I saw them open for Wolf Parade and they totally rocked it even though their [censored] was totally weird. They have a new EP out (Holy F*ck EP) and the song Lovely Allen on it is the most jublient (best word I can think to describe it) song I've heard all year Live Version of Lovely Allen (sound quality is sub-par but you can still get the song. Their S/T album came out in 2005 and it was pretty cool, too. Tone Bank Jungle is definitely a song worth checking out.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:17 AM

The National's new album Boxer came out this week. I love it, there is less rock than Alligator but still very moody and evocative. Pitchfork gave it a 8.6.

The National single Mistaken For Strangers
Old 05-25-2007, 07:21 AM

Voxtrot recently came out with a S/T album that is really good. It was in the OOT "Best so far of 2007", but I didn't see it mentioned here, so PSA for those who avoid OOT. Standout singles in my mind are Firecrack, the best by far IMO, and Steven. You can check it out at their myspace here

The Klaxons and Dr. Dog are two other bands worth checking out. I'll try to write a better review on them when I get back from work
Old 05-25-2007, 07:31 AM

Saw these guys on Wednesday http://www.myspace.com/fightlikeapesmusic. Put on a great show. If you dont want a song stuck in your head for days, dont listen to 'lend me your face' on their myspace [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Closed Thread