Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: K-fed
yea 2 15.38%
nay 11 84.62%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Bonds bitter over departure from Giants

Okay. Who cares if he is? I don't get why people are so invested in how nice a guy they think an athlete is. They always want to put character faults on other people but never want to own up to anything themselves. Get over yourself, seriously. It doesn't matter.

Since when did sports become a drama? A soap opera? The drama's supposed to be on the field, not off. Off the field crap is entertaining to laugh at and poke fun of, I suppose, but take it serious?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

and you nut huggers are missing my point. it doesnt matter that bonds is treated differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is missing your point....in fact, it appears we may both be trying to make the same exact point, after all --->

[ QUOTE ]

hes still "most likely" a prick. and yes, thats bc the media tells me so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet...
Old 10-26-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, duh, it's all opinion, but the consensus among his peers and the media is that he's a prick.

[/ QUOTE ]

The consensus among his peers is that he is a prick?

Really?

You got anything to support that, or you just kinda throwing it out there and wishing it to be true?

[/ QUOTE ]

The earth is round as well. I'm not going to look up the proof for either one of those givens either.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sheesh, he skipped all of those games, played in the home closer, then skipped the next three games. Sheesh, he sure was hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, so you don't believe he was hurt? Despite the team, the trainers, and the coaches saying so....ok...fair enough I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but he somehow took BP quite a few times while he was "hurt", and he somehow managed to attempt to hit a HR in his last home game in an attempt to go out with a bang. He didn't, and he bitterly exited.

[ QUOTE ]

*He* is a prick, because *you* don't believe he was hurt.

Makes since to me.....except that it kinda doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you're a Bonds apologist. Duh.

Btw, makes "since" to me? Are you drinking?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So he did speak to the fans? He did give interviews?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not speaking after the game or giving interviews makes him a prick?

If that's what makes someone a prick, then I guess you got him on that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just one in a long, long line of examples.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rather than...you know....referring to a completely irrelevant and inflammatory double-murder trial?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually not irrelevant. His main question is this:

1. Is it at all unreasonable that people still believe that OJ is a murderer despite him being declared innocent by a jury of his peers?

Considering Bonds' situation is similar (innocent as far as the law is concerned), it's not irrelevant. I'd disagree that the evidence re: the OJ trial that would allow people to believe he is guilty even though he was declared innocent is entirely different from the "evidence" that Bonds used steroids, but it's not irrelevant to the point he's trying to make.

lol @ BigSoonerFan. Are you saying Bonds is a prick because he didn't hold a post game interview or whatever? So if any athlete doesn't do that, they are also a prick? Or is that just something that, on its own, in absolute terms, doesn't make anyone a prick, but only because you think there are tons of other examples of Bonds being a prick, it's fair to say that's another example of Bonds being a prick?

If it's the former, your post is laughable. If it's the latter, your point is entirely dependant on that other evidence and examples... none of which you have brought to light.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did he break the rules? No. Did he cheat? Yes. The rulebook cannot possibly include everyone single thing that you should not do.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "rulebook" actually has a very clear description called teh "MLB Steroid Policy".

And Bonds has not violated that policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you think only things that are listed in the rulebook are against the rules? Are breaking laws ok?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nice article. Of course, even his "thirteen things to like about Barry" include some things that aren't exactly from Dale Carnegie's books (calling Costas names, pretending to hunt for an ESPN reporter he doesn't like).

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...nobody compared him to Carnegie....although I seem to remember someone equating him in some for or another to Hitler....

OH RIGHT!...that was you!

He's Barry Bonds, dude. Carnegie nor Hitler ever sniffed 762 homeruns, they are irrelevant to the discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't equate him to Hitler. I said everyone has someone who thinks they are good or who are loved, even Hitler. Don't try to strengthen your argument my falsely representing my posts.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bonds has never violated the MLB Steroid Policy. Period.
That is an indisputable fact. People can continue to disagree all they want, that doesn't change that fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your statement is wrong. Do you see why?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I didn't equate him to Hitler. I said everyone has someone who thinks they are good or who are loved, even Hitler. Don't try to strengthen your argument my falsely representing my posts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you know the meaning of the word 'equate'? Serious question.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You got anything to support that, or you just kinda throwing it out there and wishing it to be true?

[/ QUOTE ]

The earth is round as well. I'm not going to look up the proof for either one of those givens either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to write out the logic on this one to try and follow you along:

1. You assert the "earth to be round" and "a consensus among Bonds peers to be that he is a prick".

2. The earth is in fact round.

3. Thus, the assertion about the "consensus of Bond's peers" must be true, and need not be substantiated by any other proof, citing #2.

I dunno man, it seems kinda thin.

I mean, seriously thin.

[ QUOTE ]

Right, but he somehow took BP quite a few times while he was "hurt", and he somehow managed to attempt to hit a HR in his last home game in an attempt to go out with a bang. He didn't, and he bitterly exited.

[/ QUOTE ]

That one pretty much speaks for itself. thanks for saving me the time. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Just one in a long, long line of examples.

[/ QUOTE ]

A line of examples supported by the earth being round, of course.

And who can argue with the earth being round..AMIRITE?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The anecdotes surrounding Bonds' last appearance at AT&T, and then not playing in LA reminded me of a tidbit of trivia about Ted Williams: homered in his last a bat at home and then I don't think he even accompanied the team on it's last road trip. Something like that. Someone will know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, nice recall on that one.

Of course, it was Ted Williams, not Barry Bonds, so it doesn't matter t the people who have a problem with Bonds missing the last three games. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Redbean,

You and I have gone rounds before on the Bonds issue. We disagree; a lot. But I'm not going to go there with you, because there is no chance of either one of us changing the other guy's opinion. I want to talk about Ted Williams.

You say what Williams did doesn't matter because he's Ted Williams. Well, it might not matter now because everyone remembers Ted as a loveable kinda crotchety old man who was a great baseball player. But Ted Williams was universally HATED by the media during his playing days because he would not give interviews and he fought with the press. To the point where a sports writer once left him off the ballot for MVP voting, causing Ted to lose the award to Joe D. Even a 10th place vote on that ballot would have given him the award. The sportswriter even admitted doing it to spite Williams.

Oh yeah, my point. Please don't try to pretend that Bonds is the only player the media has ever done this to. I'm not saying it's right, because it's not. Running negative stories only about Bonds simply because he is a prick is just stupid; I'm sure we agree on that. But the image they portray of him is real. They've just beaten that horse to the point where no one, whether you like Bonds or not, wants to hear it anymore.