Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Real questions about pro choice

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You make other arguments, I'm not pretending you don't, but THIS argument, the one I am objecting to, the 'argument from scripture,' is worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait. I never used Scripture as an argument for why abortion is wrong. I used my Christian beliefs as background for why I believe abortion is wrong. There is a difference. Read the thread.

"Thou shall not kill" was only stated in response to Lestat's post, which said, "To my knowledge, the bible does not say, 'Thou shall not abort a two week old fetus'. At least I know this isn't one of the Ten Commandments."

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. And the Bible DOESN'T say thou shall not abort. That is the argument I am talking about, not your anti-abortion argument, but rather your 'Biblical support for anti-abortion' argument. Lestat claims the Bible doesn't speak about abortion, you claim it does, but your evidence, 'thou shall not kill,' does NOT refer to abortion, at least unless you assume that abortion is murder....in which case the argument is over and the point is meaningless.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention the (negative psychological) impact abortions often have, sometimes much later in life, on the women who undergo the procedure.

[/ QUOTE ]
This of course has nothing to do with pro-lifer's constant "abortion is murder" campaigns.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
'thou shall not kill,' does NOT refer to abortion, at least unless you assume that abortion is murder....in which case the argument is over

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me repeat myself: What I don't understand is how you can say that knowing full well not the potential that the cells have, but what the cells have already become. Much of the time, when a woman realizes she is pregnant, the baby's heart, brain, and even the eyes have already begun to form. How can you say that the killing of an embryo or fetus does not fit into this type of personal killing?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:53 AM

When do you believe God implants the soul? Is it with the eyes? The heart? Or before that?

And I haven't really thought much about this (so this easily could be logically incorrect), but couldn't a case be made that the fetus is simply a part of the mother? In other words, it can only exist so long as the mother exists. So when you say, "potential" well, that's really not too strong. What might be important is that it's not a human being yet. It only has the potential to become a human being as does other cells, semen, eggs, etc. But take away the host (the mother), and there is no potential. Abortion does not kill the mother, so "thou shall not kill", may not apply.

It's late and I don't have a lot of time, so I'm not sure if I've explained that correctly.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:14 AM

i would say im in between on the LEGAL right to choose, but i dont ever think its right to get an abortion. mothers-to-be might make themselves temporarily feel better by telling themsleves they just didnt kill their own child, but they did. ive known a fw who have felt oh so terrible after their aboriton... The whole legal stuff gets hard to tell because, yre right, its their body supporting the life, so maybe they do have a right to choose, but at some point that has to be revoked as well, i would probaby say at any point that the fetus can possibly survive on its own, that right should be revoked. i mean damn, when they abort at that point, they really do suck the brains out the kid and just kill him, every doctor i know (5 to be exact) has told me its a real person at that point, but i dont know any [censored] up abortion doctors.

personally, i roll with the birth control, but if something [censored] up id expect her to have my kid even if it meant only me taking care of it. in fct, if she was thinking of aborting i might just threaten to kill the bitch, and if she did it, who nkows what id really do, ive had like 13 shots and am wandering the wrong forums, but she killed my god damn kid and i should proabbly kill her.