75001-100000 5 7.58%
100000-150000 7 10.61%
>150000 12 18.18%
dont care /resutls please 17 25.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Re: *official 2007 red sox thread*

[ QUOTE ]
You don't have to keep posting stats that show how horrible he's been this year. We know he's been horrible this year.

The question is: does anyone really think that you would be better off by having either Ellsbury or Kielty in there in his place? IMO, the answer is clearly no and I think most people on this board would agree. Bitching about how much he sucks is fine. Suggesting we should remove him for Big Red or the kid with the big league eyes is insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said anything like that. I'm just pointing out that Drew's approach has been terrible for his stated purpose - to clear the table after the big bats get on base - and that all this talk of a 'turnaround' is pretty silly. He hadn't hit a HR since June 20th before today. His situational hitting sucks.

I'm not saying we should start Kielty every day, but we should definitely start him against lefties the way Drew is hitting them, which means we basically have a 14MM platoon player.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:30 AM

his (and every other players) stated purpose is to not make an out.

not that that makes him good this season, just saying.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
his (and every other players) stated purpose is to not make an out.

not that that makes him good this season, just saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure but in situations with men on base, isn't it easier for a high average / high SLG / low OBP guy to be more valuable than a low AVG / low SLG / high OBP guy? esp. with 2 outs?

i'm not sure where the balance is, and i was a big fan of the drew signing and appreciate the importance of OBP. there is a certain degree of frustration talking here.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
since i gave u a hard time for being so negative and pessimistic before i must say i am happy you are now looking at the bright side now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we were all a little tense when the Yankees started to make their run and the Red Sox were leaving runners on base at an alarming rate and losing games they had no business losing. Sometimes I get frustrated. I think we all do. You were the only one who wasn't worried at all. Or, if you were, you didn't show it at least. You were right and I'm very happy to say that I was wrong about this team.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:06 AM

dont worry they will probably suck again for a bit before the season is over.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't have to keep posting stats that show how horrible he's been this year. We know he's been horrible this year.

The question is: does anyone really think that you would be better off by having either Ellsbury or Kielty in there in his place? IMO, the answer is clearly no and I think most people on this board would agree. Bitching about how much he sucks is fine. Suggesting we should remove him for Big Red or the kid with the big league eyes is insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said anything like that. I'm just pointing out that Drew's approach has been terrible for his stated purpose - to clear the table after the big bats get on base - and that all this talk of a 'turnaround' is pretty silly. He hadn't hit a HR since June 20th before today. His situational hitting sucks.

I'm not saying we should start Kielty every day, but we should definitely start him against lefties the way Drew is hitting them, which means we basically have a 14MM platoon player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't word my post well, but I wasn't accusing you of saying that stuff. I'm just saying that the people here, including Toro even, know deep down inside that playing Drew over Kielty/Ellsbury is the correct decision, even though he's been awful this year and even though they may say otherwise. I agree that he should sit against lefties in favor of Kielty, though.

BTW, it just occured to me today that the Red Sox have the worst bench in the majors. It may not ever come into play, but damn is it awful. The proposed Dye deal seemed bad to me at the time, but now I'm really wishing we made the trade.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dont worry they will probably suck again for a bit before the season is over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but that won't matter unless it's some major league meltdown of epic proportions, in which case I certainly won't be coming here to say "I told you so". I'm really afraid this is the end of my complaining for the regular season... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, it just occured to me today that the Red Sox have the worst bench in the majors. It may not ever come into play, but damn is it awful. The proposed Dye deal seemed bad to me at the time, but now I'm really wishing we made the trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

not in the majors, but maybe the worst bench of a legit playoff team.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:30 AM

This Gabe Kielty pick-up is starting to look like a shrewd move.

[ QUOTE ]
I think we were all a little tense when the Yankees started to make their run...You were the only one who wasn't worried at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

<--- AHEM!!!

Anybody remember me saying, "I'm not even going to look over my shoulder till they get within four games." They got to four back, I looked behind me, and they melted.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe the worst bench of a legit playoff team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not buying that, either. Cora's clutch, and Gabe Kielty is awesome. One OF and one IF is enough bench for me.