Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

I think it can be attributed to the fact that Rowling wrote an ambitious story that snowballed on her, and it turned into one big mess which she couldn't fully explain
Old 07-26-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
crouch-moody could just have easily waited around hogwarts until the time came, and had harry touch anything he wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm saying is that maybe, during the normal magical protection of the school and grounds, the portkey wouldn't have worked. The Tri-Wizard tournament called for some of these enchantments to be lifted in order to setup the maze, as someone else said, and therefore this allowed fake Moody to setup the portkey easily and undetected.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it can be attributed to the fact that Rowling wrote an ambitious story that snowballed on her, and it turned into one big mess which she couldn't fully explain

[/ QUOTE ]

She did a pretty darn good job...some stuff may still be questionable but as she said, there isnt near enough space to answer all the questions that readers had...it just isnt practical.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She did a pretty darn good job...some stuff may still be questionable but as she said, there isnt near enough space to answer all the questions that readers had...it just isnt practical.

[/ QUOTE ]

She did a fantastic job overall, but i think the plot for that book makes no sense on the whole
Old 07-26-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The reason for the portkey was Voldie didnt want anyone to know he was back. If harry got killed from just an ordinary portkey, disappeared, etc it would be obvious who was behind it. By having him die in the maze, it would look like he died by some other reason than the portkey. People wouldnt expect Voldie behind it then

[/ QUOTE ]

what??

no matter what, if voldie's plan works, harry just dissapears.

The maze wouldnt be, like, permanent. They would all be like "wtf.. where is harry?" an hour later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harry wasn't going to disappear. His dead body would have been sent back to the maze using the portkey.

It was explained in OotP that Harry's escape from the graveyard was critical because it allowed him to alert Dumbledore and the wizarding world that Voldemort was back. Voldemort's plan was to rebuid his army secretly. Instead, the Order was reformed immediately to fight him.

Because of this, Harry's death needed to appear to be an accident. He couldn't simply be taken out of the school on some September day, killed, and be sent back. The TriWizard maze offered an opportunity to snatch Harry with nobody watching and allow believable explanations for how he died.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The reason for the portkey was Voldie didnt want anyone to know he was back. If harry got killed from just an ordinary portkey, disappeared, etc it would be obvious who was behind it. By having him die in the maze, it would look like he died by some other reason than the portkey. People wouldnt expect Voldie behind it then

[/ QUOTE ]

what??

no matter what, if voldie's plan works, harry just dissapears.

The maze wouldnt be, like, permanent. They would all be like "wtf.. where is harry?" an hour later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harry wasn't going to disappear. His dead body would have been sent back to the maze using the portkey.

It was explained in OotP that Harry's escape from the graveyard was critical because it allowed him to alert Dumbledore and the wizarding world that Voldemort was back. Voldemort's plan was to rebuid his army secretly. Instead, the Order was reformed immediately to fight him.

Because of this, Harry's death needed to appear to be an accident. He couldn't simply be taken out of the school on some September day, killed, and be sent back. The TriWizard maze offered an opportunity to snatch Harry with nobody watching and allow believable explanations for how he died.

[/ QUOTE ]

true but it would be obv he got killed by the killing curse then. Which nothing in the maze would do though?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

true but it would be obv he got killed by the killing curse then. Which nothing in the maze would do though?

[/ QUOTE ]

It may have been obvious. But, that doesn't imply that Voldemort had returned.

Harry's death would have been a mystery. That would have suited Voldemort very well.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Harry's death would have been a mystery. That would have suited Voldemort very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, good point.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel much better now
Old 07-26-2007, 07:13 PM

I just finished and was very satisfied with the book. Probably my favorite of the whole series. I have one beef with the series that isn't even that big a deal but still bothers me.

Was there anything unique about Lily Potter sacrificing herself to protect Harry? Surely she wasn't the only person who ever sacrificed themselves to Voldemort to protect someone else. How come no one else has this powerful magical protection? And you know how Dumbledore always has explanations for Harry's repeated survival against seemingly certain death? Those explanations were kinda lame IMO. They always involved his mother's sacrifice or his ability to love or Harry's blood or Voldemort's soul inside Harry, etc. It felt like these explanations were kinda pulled out of someone's ass.

Aside from that, I thought the series was excellent. I will probably be rereading the whole series soon. Maybe I'll be able to answer my own question if I see something I missed.