Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Revisiting the Forum Split Idea

I get told I give bad advice on hands constantly..I generally try to stay away from advice sections of this site now because of this.

See? You guys hurt my feelings and now you get no (wrong) advice from me anymore.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:27 PM

Thinking done.

I'm backing RyanCMU's plan 100%.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get told I give bad advice on hands constantly..I generally try to stay away from advice sections of this site now because of this.

See? You guys hurt my feelings and now you get no (wrong) advice from me anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me a sad panda
Old 08-08-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Something i definitly agree with and get annoyed about. I always see compaints from people that bad advice is being given but i very rarely see people call someone out on it though. Certainly not in a polite manner, it's usually "OMG worst advice evar!!!111!!!". I have made plenty of posts in hands and cant ever remember being told that advice was crap, now being a UNl player i find it hard to believe i have never given bad adivce i just think people dont have the balls to say it. I'll admit i am guilty of giving one line advice which i dont explain well. Gonna definitly try and cut down on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying that we are weak/tight with regards to advice? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, its a full ring forum so i should be expecting that i suppose!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:54 PM

Well i think the first question we need to ask ourselves is WHY do we want a split?

For me, I would like to see a split so that we can attract better players and posts to the FR forum, because currently i think there is only a handful of good posters and for the most parts the forum is a bit meh.

I think that if we want to attract better posters we need to make the split at 200nl+. I think think that a lot of mid/high stakes posters will join and contribute at this level, but will be a bit more reluctant to if every second post is a donkish 100nl post.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, i think if you give NL 100 players a choice to pick which forum to post in they are all going to post in the High stakes forum as the advice they get will be alot better.

[/ QUOTE ]

this would probably be true initially but previous history has shown that players who are moving up often continue posting in the same forum even when they've moved up to stakes that warrant jumping to a new forum. For example, there have been hands as high as 50/100 posted in MSNL and 10/20 hands are relatively common.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But a lot of people making awful posts don't KNOW their making awful posts. And then when they are informed that they have made an awful post, no one explains why. So they never get better and never learn how to ask the right questions.

This leads to a forum of not much value, since it largely consists of poor posts with poor replies. The fix for this is not to split forums to relegate the poor posts somewhere else, it is to answer questions correctly and politely when they are asked no matter how simple they. Better responses lead to better posts.

This isn't to say a split is or is not needed, but it is not needed on the basis of simple posts with poor responses. That can be fixed without a split- but it will take the better players stepping up to the plate. And THAT means giving correct answers WITH reasoning- teach a man to fish and all that. For example, simply telling someone to call on the river is not good enough if it is not explained that reason we're calling is not because we think our hand is always the best, but because of the odds we are layed it is good OFTEN ENOUGH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something i definitly agree with and get annoyed about. I always see compaints from people that bad advice is being given but i very rarely see people call someone out on it though. Certainly not in a polite manner, it's usually "OMG worst advice evar!!!111!!!". I have made plenty of posts in hands and cant ever remember being told that advice was crap, now being a UNl player i find it hard to believe i have never given bad adivce i just think people dont have the balls to say it. I'll admit i am guilty of giving one line advice which i dont explain well. Gonna definitly try and cut down on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call people out whenever I see it. In fact, I have called you out I am pretty sure! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Although, I try to be level-headed and non-jerkish when I do it so it may not be that memorable.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:47 AM

Perhaps we can split by avatars...
Hot asses, poker players, and caaartooooons!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:08 AM

I sort of smile to myself when I see people complaining about meh advice. If we all tried a little harder, then it'd be much, much better forum.

And I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to just not posting advice when I read a HH, and I know exactly what to say, but don't bother posting a response cos it's just so obvious. I gotta stop stopping and start replying.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:45 AM

as much as im tired of seeing 10nl hh posts, i just don't believe split forums would generate enough traffic.