Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Several Hotshots Supposedly Broke Or In Debt

[ QUOTE ]

"Who knows the great enthusiams, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of being a luckbox, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while sitting on his ass, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never known neither victory nor defeat." teddy r

These hotshots might be broke, but at least they probably went down with a fight and had some life to their step and are not spending their entire life underachieving.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Teddy R. would agree that the above changes make the quote more applicable to the poker masses.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Irrespective of Mr. Sklansky\'s attitude, his key point is correct:

Guys, it's simple.

Sklansky's contribution to poker: great
Sklansky's contribution to NVG: crap

It's really not a big deal either way.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:24 PM

If you read strassa's post I think he says that David called himself a lazy genius and he was just relaying the comment to add to his post.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:44 PM

If Strassa had put a person's name at the end of that quote that had been a poker superstar that then went completely busto, people would just label it as a stupid way for them to justify taking the risks they took that led them to being broke. Putting teddy r on the end of it makes it seem heroic but really its just a set of words and who it comes from is what gives it context.

For the most part DS's post was silly to the effect of what El D said. A lot of higher stakes players are playing above their means from a BR management standpoint and thus it leads to silly and obvious posts like DS's.

The rest of Strassa's post is just purely judgemental. I'm not saying he's wrong or right, that's for each individual reader to decide.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think your post is a bit uncalled for and i also feel that most people who saluted you did so because they love seeing a bloodbath, not because they believe that david deserves your comments. while some of what you say is certainly spot on, its over the top.

why would you want david to leave nvg? just because he gave a 5/10 in nvg contributions? there are hundreds of others who contribute less than he does. why dont we ban barryg because he only posts once a month? maybe david's intentions were to educate readers by painting a picture of high stakes poker in its truist form, not to tear down the images of good people whove tried hard to establish them. isnt that a noble intent?

what gives you the right for judging david on being a "lazy genius"? are you that much better? as poker players we are all leeches on others and provide no productivity for our time. im sure your wall street job will go on to save starving children in africa while reducing CO2 emissions. yes, david clearly revels in receiving gratification from the masses, but i also think its quite clear that he does enjoy educating people. he even has ambitions of writing the most effective book for teaching children algebra.

not everyone spends their life dedicating themselves to noble causes. most do what makes themselves happy, and most people would be lazy if they could afford to be. youre a really good guy in person, but your post makes you come off as a spoiled brat.

[/ QUOTE ]

winner
Old 05-30-2007, 02:46 PM

I'm a nobody, but I've been ghosting on here for years. I know probably 1/100th about poker that most people here do, but to me Sklansky always comes across as an arrogant ass. While I may not agree exactly with the way strasser put it, my gut feeling is he's dead on here. The way David wrote his original post, you could almost see the glee in his face as he wrote it. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who takes pleasure in the failure of others is a complete self centered ego maniacal ass clown. You can just sense the jealousy David feels from the fame and recognition these new players get. He probably feels that himself and others his age deserve all the recognition and praise, and that these young guys need to pay their dues. Unfortunately what he doesn't realize is that the boom in poker is all due to the glory of making that fast buck, ala moneymaker turning his $10k into millions in a couple of days. The poker community loves to glorify these overnight success stories, as it brings the fish (like me) in. Would he rather everyone be told off the bat that you suck at poker, will lose thousands before you ever start breaking even, and will really accomplish something great if you just become a break even poker player over your entire career?

Bottom line is David is a jerk for taking joy in seeing these players bust. He just can't stand the fact that they get name recognition, money and fame so quickly, while he gets a reputation as a creepy old man who is bankrolling batshit insane women for a roll in the sack.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:57 PM

Nicky wp
Old 05-30-2007, 02:57 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

[ QUOTE ]
he even has ambitions of writing the most effective book for teaching children algebra.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to see how he does this. Will it take 50 readings to understand? It's not as if the man has great communication skills.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:59 PM

i think strassa and david should freestyle on mtv
Old 05-30-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, it's simple.

Sklansky's contribution to poker: great
Sklansky's contribution to NVG: crap

It's really not a big deal either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

David S is to poker what Welles Wilder is to futures trading