Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: \"Official\" Poker After Dark thread (week of 1/2)

[quote)

The cash on the table does at least help emphasize that it's winner take all (cash value = chips value), unlike most tournies where the number of chips the winner ends up with does not equal his winnings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and it seems to be a point some here haven't realized. Very few tournaments begin with the starting number of chips being par value to their buy-in.

Also, I don't think the blind structure is ridiculous at all, in fact, anything but. Players start with 200X the big blind, and the first 4 rounds are 40 minutes long, allowing for lots of play. Given that each match lasted about 4 1/2 hours on average with only 6 players entered, it would seem logical that having blinds reach $3000/$6000 during heads-up play would not be unusual.

Don't miss the "Director's Cut" show this evening right after Saturday Night Live. Great recap of the week, lots of behind-the-scenes stuff not seen during the week, and more Shana.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:10 PM

I'm actually enjoying this series. For once, we don't have to listen to commentators after the fact telling us that they can't figure out why somebody would even consider doing whatever it is they are considering. Too often, I have seen the exact same hands panned by the commentators as something that obviously must be good and obviously must be bad, and it always seems to be based on the other person's hands which they can see and the player can't. Doh! I have found the few comments made by Ali to be limited to the non-poker behavior of the players (with which I usually agree) or a quick comment of a hand that was made -- just in case somebody at home didn't catch what happened. I understand that the cash on the table shows that this isn't the ordinary tournament and that the buy-in and the chips are the same, but I'd really like to the cash taken off the table. I understand that each bundle is $5,000, but it still makes counting up the "stacks" a little more difficult. I appreciate seeing more of the hands and watching the development of the plays which we usually don't see. I enjoy hearing the "banter" between the players, although I think some of the fireworks this week went way beyond anything that should be normal or even allowed. :-) All in all, I think that this program is much more intended for the knowledgeable poker player rather than just somebody who might find poker a way to pass the time when nothing else is on.

OK. Just felt like putting in my two cents worth after reading everybody else's comments. Have a great day!
Old 01-07-2007, 12:28 AM

Does anyone else notice that it seems the players are saying canned comments during a hand to make the people at home understand more? Or do they always like to all be the table coach. I don't know, I just get the feeling the producers were like "ok guys talk about the hands and make witty remarks if you can"

kind of like the UBT and people are like "hmmm...i think i have to double down here!" before they double down.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Shanna Hiatt on the other hand is [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

She's one of the most worthless people in the show.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:03 AM

Can anyone explain to me why Huck played the way he did heads up? Limp, limp, limp, limp. Went all-in a couple times heads up, but didn't raise other than that. I thought the key to heads up play was aggression? Huck was way too predictable and put no pressure on Gus at all. He just checked it down unless the deck hit him. I don't get it.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:18 AM

Isn't this supposed to be on at 1 AM?

Yet, SNL is still running. Is it because of the game that SNL is running late?
Old 01-07-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When Huck doubled up heads up and got the match back to about 60k 60k, i'd put 10% of my BR that they made a 50/50 split of the 120grand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take that 10% of your bankroll, please. There is no way they play that passively knowing the money is already evenly split.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:23 AM

SNL started at about midnight tonight. Check your local listings, here in Syracuse, it was scheduled to air at 3am ET after two hours of infomercials.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:32 AM

Nice - my NBC affiliate just showed a promo for PAD that said "Tonight" then rolled right into a pre-emption for an episode of Smallville.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:46 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" Poker After Dark thread (week 1)

There's poker? Looks like rejects from the reality show du jour. What a joke.