Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 01:21 PM

Default Re: The Mathematics of Poker

Correction: At P=3 alpha=1/4 so the graph line is correct ( f(0) = 1/12 and at f(1)= 1/24) but the characterization f(x) max'd at x=1 for P>2 is still suspect.

Guess I need to work through The Arithmetic of Poker before tackling this one :-)
Old 12-17-2006, 03:55 PM

Great book. I was familiar with some content (like most 0-1 games described in the book) but still its very good.
I will give my review when I finish the book. I am especially curious if some of my calculations for multi street bluff or nuts games weer correct.
For now minor typo :
page 89 KK,QQ,JJ,TT should be 24/42 not 6/42.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:11 PM

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I have a strong feeling that this book will become the bible for bot developers.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm paranoid, but I have a strong feeling that this book will become the bible for bot developers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it.
Techniques for programming poker playing programs are out there for a long time.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Correction: At P=3 alpha=1/4 so the graph line is correct ( f(0) = 1/12 and at f(1)= 1/24) but the characterization f(x) max'd at x=1 for P>2 is still suspect.

Guess I need to work through The Arithmetic of Poker before tackling this one :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm just a moron, but posts like this are making me think this book might not be my cup of tea. I had some math in college, but I'm not a big fan of it. I am, however, willing to do whatever it takes to continue to improve as a poker player. Just worried that this book may be written in Greek to me...
Old 12-17-2006, 08:39 PM

Actually you can skip most of the math and still get the gist of the exposition. That's what I'm doing, at least on the first pass. That one I just happened upon since the graphs and the text didn't jibe so I decided to slog through the calculations. I think in this case the solution is reversed just after the graph, but later in the text when it refers to the results it seems to do so correctly.

After the math, which is 99% algebraic solving for when two expressions are equal, the authors usually take pains to explain why the results match, or do not match, one's intuition or customary advice.

There are bullet point items at the end of each chapter if you want the condensed version.

If you want to avoid the occasional glitch just wait a couple of weeks for the online errata list to fill out, or for the next edition in a few(?) months.

Hint to publisher for second edition: Do wish the type was larger though. Would make it a bit easier on the aging eyeballs.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:46 AM

seconded on the typeface thing. info this deep is all the more intimidating in little bitty letters. I also find my mind wandering a little too quickly when reading this smallish type. Maybe a monetary consideration though, as you can obviously fit more material in fewer pages with the smaller type.

other suggestions for the next edition:
a comprehensive equation appendix in the back. I'm finding myself wanting to go back to the original references to certain equations as I re-encounter them, but I'm having to rely on my note taking to get there. an appendix would be very helpful here.

<font color="gray">jopke: Q:why don't republicans use bookmarks? A:because they just bend the page over. </font>

things that I'd love to see in future series installments:
-exhaustive limit poker (specifically turn and river play)
-review of one's own statistics

thx for a great book!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:21 AM

don't think this has been mentioned yet, but on pg 135 in the headsup jam or fold section you said "continuing to raise the temperature" and then went on to lower the temperature by increasing the stack sizes.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:35 AM

"For now minor typo :
page 89 KK,QQ,JJ,TT should be 24/42 not 6/42. "

Each of the four listed pairs having the identical frequency of 6/42. So "6/42 for each pair" might be less ambiguous?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:58 AM

Yes, f(x) is the value to Y, not X as was said on the top of the page. In all these games, we calculate the value to Y. Hence X is trying to minimize f, so in the sentence maximize should be replaced by "minimize."

Good, youa re the first person to catch this.