Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is the most annoying poster in this thread?
Snowball138 8 44.44%
Snowball138 2 11.11%
Snowball138 6 33.33%
Snowball138 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: PASSAMAN POST #666. BBV 10 COMMANDMENTS

Jesus is fake.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:35 PM

Old 11-07-2007, 10:37 PM

LOL
Old 11-07-2007, 10:42 PM

I'm not going to turn this into creation v. evolution thing. Final word vis-a-vis fossils: regardless of how much of the biomass remains, based upon the amount of fossils that we do have, why aren't there tens of thousands of species that are at varying stages between, say, lizards and birds? Things with only vestigial wings, then things with slightly more developed wings, things with nubs that will be feathers in 10 million more years, things with only two back legs and nubs that will become wings, etc.? Besides, if a specie relies upon its ability to run, climb, get away from predators, etc., and this is what makes it most suited to its environment, how does a mutation that makes its front legs be gone and in their place microscopic cells that will be wings in 20 million help it to be more fit? It just doesn't make sense. Also, the fossil record doesn't show transitional species, but DOES show sudden appearance in the fossil record of brand new species. Paleontologists have tried to explain this with punctuated equilibrium or saltation, neither of which satisfies them. But if the animals were being created on a 'day' (i.e. from the creation account in Genesis, with 'day' being a period of time of millions of years) and species were going extinct with God then creating more, etc.....doesn't that take equal or less faith than lizards and birds sharing a common ancestor?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 PM

Question for Passaman:

Is Hayden Panettiere hotter if you pretend she's still under 18?

I vote yes.

Pole:
Old 11-07-2007, 11:03 PM

Last post and then I am going to bed. The burden of proof is on those who believe in something we have no factual evidence of. So that would be you. So while the fossil record is incomplete we sure have a whole hell of a lot more real info to go on than you do. You, being "believers", have to prove His existence, and not the other way around. We are all born atheists, remember?

Plus, last time I checked, a lot of "Christians" are young earth creationist, i.e. the Earth being around 6000 years old. Lot of dissent coming from people reading the same book.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why aren't there tens of thousands of species that are at varying stages between, say, lizards and birds? Things with only vestigial wings, then things with slightly more developed wings, things with nubs that will be feathers in 10 million more years, things with only two back legs and nubs that will become wings, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, I don't know if they've found tens of thousands of species period. Second, paleontologists are making strides every year on the evolution of flight. They have found transitional species where fingers are slowly becoming more elongated. They didn't have their front limbs disappear suddenly.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, if a specie relies upon its ability to run, climb, get away from predators, etc., and this is what makes it most suited to its environment, how does a mutation that makes its front legs be gone and in their place microscopic cells that will be wings in 20 million help it to be more fit? It just doesn't make sense. Also, the fossil record doesn't show transitional species, but DOES show sudden appearance in the fossil record of brand new species. Paleontologists have tried to explain this with punctuated equilibrium or saltation, neither of which satisfies them. But if the animals were being created on a 'day' (i.e. from the creation account in Genesis, with 'day' being a period of time of millions of years) and species were going extinct with God then creating more, etc.....doesn't that take equal or less faith than lizards and birds sharing a common ancestor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, and I don't mean any offense, but your knowlegde of dinosaurs and evolution is really low.

1. There weren't dinosaurs running around without front legs and only little wing-nubs.
2. Why is it necessary that evolution goes at the same pace all the time?
3. Dinosaurs weren't reptiles.
4. There's a clear link in skeletal structure between birds and a whole slew of dinosaur species.

How can you negate something that you really don't have any accurate knowledge of?

Also, still waiting on the proof of Jesus walking on water.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:13 AM

Passaman: By your specious argumentation (no pun intended) and the lack of knowledge you're displaying on the subject of evolution, I have a strong suspicion that the reading material you've been exposed to have titles similar to the two books you referenced in regards to the origins of the universe ("The Creator and the Cosmos" and "The Fingerprint of God.")

Without having read the books, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they contain little more than pseudo-science and cherry-picked facts, designed to cater to a Christian audience.

I'd suggest maybe branching out a little, and treat the science in books with "God" or "Creator" in their titles with a modicum of skepticism.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Passaman: By your specious argumentation (no pun intended) and the lack of knowledge you're displaying on the subject of evolution, I have a strong suspicion that the reading material you've been exposed to have titles similar to the two books you referenced in regards to the origins of the universe ("The Creator and the Cosmos" and "The Fingerprint of God.")

Without having read the books, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they contain little more than pseudo-science and cherry-picked facts, designed to cater to a Christian audience.

I'd suggest maybe branching out a little, and treat the science in books with "God" or "Creator" in their titles with a modicum of skepticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

That limb you went out on is a bit tenuous. The two books I referenced are written by Dr. Hugh Ross, an astrophysicist and cosmologist at Cal Tech, one of the most respected in the nation in his field. And his books are specifically designed to reach a non-Christian audience. They are not evangelistic in scope, but uses authentic science to prove that "old earth" is compatible with what the bible says in the creation narrative, and to show that the universe was designed by a Designer.

Hugh Ross launched his career at age seven when he went to the library to find out why stars are hot. Physics and astronomy captured his curiosity and never let go. At age seventeen he was the youngest person yet to serve as director of observations for Vancouver's Royal Astronomical Society. With the help of a provincial scholarship and a National Research Council (NRC) of Canada fellowship, he completed his undergraduate degree in physics (University of British Columbia) and graduate degrees in astronomy (University of Toronto). The NRC also sent him to the United States for postdoctoral studies. At Caltech he researched quasars, some of the most distant and ancient objects in the universe.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That limb you went out on is a bit tenuous. The two books I referenced are written by Dr. Hugh Ross, an astrophysicist and cosmologist at Cal Tech, one of the most respected in the nation in his field. And his books are specifically designed to reach a non-Christian audience. They are not evangelistic in scope, but uses authentic science to prove that "old earth" is compatible with what the bible says in the creation narrative, and to show that the universe was designed by a Designer.

Hugh Ross launched his career at age seven when he went to the library to find out why stars are hot. Physics and astronomy captured his curiosity and never let go. At age seventeen he was the youngest person yet to serve as director of observations for Vancouver's Royal Astronomical Society. With the help of a provincial scholarship and a National Research Council (NRC) of Canada fellowship, he completed his undergraduate degree in physics (University of British Columbia) and graduate degrees in astronomy (University of Toronto). The NRC also sent him to the United States for postdoctoral studies. At Caltech he researched quasars, some of the most distant and ancient objects in the universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

astrophysicist+cosmologist =/= evolutionary biologist.

How's that proof of Jesus walking on water coming?