Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: aba is my king
yers 59 60.20%
BASTARD 39 39.80%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

Anyone interested in the new Wilco that comes out next week? Obviously I'm a big fan. I've downloaded most of it already, and it sounds sort of 70's am radio.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:57 PM

This may already be in here, but just in case i have to tell you about this awesomeness
Rogue wave- descend like vultures

I've had this album for a long time, but i never listened to it much until today. Very awesome.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone interested in the new Wilco that comes out next week? Obviously I'm a big fan. I've downloaded most of it already, and it sounds sort of 70's am radio.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haven't heard any of it yet because I'm not cool enough to get stuff early, but I have it preordered, so I should get it next Tuesday.

What do you mean by "70s AM radio?" Is it really lo-fi or something?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Haven't heard any of it yet because I'm not cool enough to get stuff early, but I have it preordered, so I should get it next Tuesday.

What do you mean by "70s AM radio?" Is it really lo-fi or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

70's AM radio as in lilting tunes in the vein of Neil Young crossed with some Poco, leaning back toward the alt country stylings in a more subtle way. The album has been streaming at wilcoworld.net and may still be. Interestingly, this album appears to be the one with the vocals most out in front. Less electronics.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:05 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
Well, since yves brought up shoegaze, and I think this sorta qualifies (if it doesn't, oh well, it's still one of the best albums EVAR):

Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One

I have to admit that I like, but don't love, Yo La Tengo. Some of their albums tend to meander on forever with no direction.

This album is awesome though because it mixes in the meandering with some catchy pop hooks, which makes it (IMHO) infinitely more listenable/accessible than some of their other albums.

I'd recommend this track to those of you who haven't ever heard this. It's the first song on the album, and is pretty indicative of the album's sound.

OMG WTF WON'T THIS LINK WORK

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlike probably most of their fans it was those light sweet melodic pop songs that really made me love Yo La Tengo.
Heck "Summer Sun" which is probably a lot of people's LEAST favorite album of their's, just happens to be my favorite.

Then when I saw them live last year and they were just throwing out one guitar epic out there after another and it DID go on forever and it was LOUD (louder than Mogwai even who I had seen the week before) but it was also pretty amazing. It really opened my ears up towards their whole repertoire.
I pretty much love everything now and more than ever appreciate the great versatility from this band.
I strongly recommend anyone who gets the chance to see them live.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:23 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i was able to obtain

LCD soundsystem- sound of silver

on my first run through, nothing seems to be really popping up at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing this year has popped out at me MORE than "North American Scum" off that LCD album. I think it's the song of the year and it'll be tough for any band, until R.E.M. and Radiohead release their new records, to top it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what everyone else sees in that song. It's good and all and I like the energy, but for I like "Someone Great" better.

I think "The Past is a Grotesque Animal" by Of Montreal has a "song of the year" quality to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't even listened to much new stuff this year, I'm looking very much forward from new releases from probably my two favorite bands of all time, British Sea Power and Radiohead.
I'm obviously biased since I'm a huge fan but I caught Radiohead twice on their tour, have listened many times since as well, and I think pretty much all of their new songs are great.

On an unrelated note my single of the year so far would be this: Bloc Party - The Prayer

I just can't enough of that song for some reason.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:02 AM

figured this would be a good time to start posting.

the three cd's over the last two years or so i that i feel are totally underrated are :

Elephant Eyelash by Why? One of the most unique cd's ive heard in a while. it's kinda "poppy", but... mostly not.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9RKZefc3P4E

Detrola by His Name is Alive super catchy and jazz like
some good songs on http://myspace.com/hisnameisalive but Detrola is a must listen

Oh you're so silent jens by Jens Lekman
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=50577087

also, if you like godspeed you black emporer, explosions in the sky etc., you should check out Isis, especially Panopticon. and whoever mentioned my favorite is 100% correct
Old 05-15-2007, 10:29 PM

I am really into Mew at the moment. Description from Wikipedia:
"Whilst their music may be classified as Indie and on occasion prog rock, they sometimes humorously refer to it themselves as "pretentious art rock", or in guitarist Bo's words, "the world's only indie stadium band"."
They had a minor hit with Zoo Keepers Boy last last year. They finally released their 2003 album Frengers in the US earlier this year and its better than And The Glass Handed Kites album.

If you check out one song from them make it: Mew - Comforting Sounds (Live)
Old 05-15-2007, 11:47 PM

I love Mew. Zookeepers Boy is a great track, but every song on that album seems like it could be a single. "Seething Rain Weeps For You" is my favorite track on that record. It seems that every time I'm craving a certain Mew song, I end up listening to the entire album.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:21 AM

The latest Feist album is really good. Good mix of slow stuff with some more upbeat, rollicking stuff.

Pitchfork gave Wilco's new album the thumbs-down, but I think it's very good. Nothing groundbreaking like YHF, but an easy listen and a lot of fun at times - some nice solos. Good driving music.
Closed Thread