Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Talking is ok, with my consent.
Yes 44 89.80%
No 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Wow, that was racist

[ QUOTE ]
Why do I have a feeling that you don't live in an area with a significant native population?

Racism against Natives is massive, probably worse than any other group in North America.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a weird claim. The vast majority of people I know never interact with Native Canadians. I don't think they have any views of Natives, one way or the other. I don't see "massive" racist behaviour towards Natives because I don't see any kind of behaviour at all.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it certainly isn't equivalent to calling some dude a dork or an Irishman and Italian whatever they call Irishmen and italians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not, if the hatred/ignorance stems from the same place? Why would muttering "stupid chink" under your breath be any worse than muttering "stupid wop"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still dong get this. Ive never met anyone racist against asians, I mean wtf, other than maybe some old guys who hate the japanese because of WW2, Ive never heard anyone who is a blatant racist against asians. I view being "racist" against asians on par with being racist against italians, or the irish...its like it doesnt even matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad came over w/ the Navy families who were granted citizenship before there was as large of an asian population in the bay area. he has relatively recent recollections of racism from middle school through college.

when i was growing up, asians, russians, white non russians, and black gangs would have it out a lot based on race. I'm not talking organized let's wake up and flip these kilos gangs. I'm talking about mostly friend groups based on race i guess.

I think a lot of asian people feel more strongly about getting a chink, gook, slant eye, whatever thrown at them, b/c the collective memory of racism is more recent than it is for a lot of white european immigrants. The terms are more loaded. I don't know all the reasons that is, but it is. Some people have said they feel comfortable calling their friends wops or dagos, but would you call your asian friend a chink or a gook?

Edit: I could be really wrong, but my feeling is I could go into an Irish bar in SF and call a intimidating Irish guy a wop and get away w/ it. I don't think a white guy could do that to a Korean guy or a Chinese guy.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:12 PM

Silent,

I'm actually from where much of the oppression began: south eastern MA. My hometown was where King Philip's War started. But you're right, there isn't much of a native population, if any. There's some people with small traces of Native blood in them, but that's about it. All that's left are street and park names like Metacomet and such.

I have two remarks to your post. One: I'm sure my ignorance on the subject is largely geographical, like you inferred. Two: I wasn't saying racism against Native Americans doesn't exist, which might not have been clear. I'm just saying it's a completely different issue. First of all, it's not a national scale issue. Secondly, when you see corporate ads laced with diversity, you don't tend to see Native Americans represented. You see blacks, whites, asians, latinos, etc, in various combinations of gender. The Native American issue is just different entirely. This is kind of a really crude way to look at it, but they essentially lost a war for the rights to American land and their cultures, populations, etc suffered terribly. Messed up? Sure, fine. I'm not saying it isn't a problem or doesn't exist. But when race and diversity is talked about on a large scale in the US, seldom are Native Americans included in the debate.

edit: my experience is much like mosdef's.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: I could be really wrong, but my feeling is I could go into an Irish bar in SF and call a intimidating Irish guy a wop and get away w/ it. I don't think a white guy could do that to a Korean guy or a Chinese guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because he isn't Italian [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

However, if you walk into a real Irish bar in Boston and order an Irish Car Bomb, you're going to get a lot of nasty looks and possibly beat up.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you called an Irish guy a wop, I don't think anyone would get mad, but it would be good for a laugh.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do I have a feeling that you don't live in an area with a significant native population?

Racism against Natives is massive, probably worse than any other group in North America.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a weird claim. The vast majority of people I know never interact with Native Canadians. I don't think they have any views of Natives, one way or the other. I don't see "massive" racist behaviour towards Natives because I don't see any kind of behaviour at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? You live in Toronto? You haven't heard about any interactions with Natives?

In the past year we have had Natives blockading numerous places in the province. Shutting down rail lines. Protesting in various places. If you haven't heard views expressed about Natives you're living with your head in the ground.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it certainly isn't equivalent to calling some dude a dork or an Irishman and Italian whatever they call Irishmen and italians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not, if the hatred/ignorance stems from the same place? Why would muttering "stupid chink" under your breath be any worse than muttering "stupid wop"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still dong get this. Ive never met anyone racist against asians, I mean wtf, other than maybe some old guys who hate the japanese because of WW2, Ive never heard anyone who is a blatant racist against asians. I view being "racist" against asians on par with being racist against italians, or the irish...its like it doesnt even matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad came over w/ the Navy families who were granted citizenship before there was as large of an asian population in the bay area. he has relatively recent recollections of racism from middle school through college.

when i was growing up, asians, russians, white non russians, and black gangs would have it out a lot based on race. I'm not talking organized let's wake up and flip these kilos gangs. I'm talking about mostly friend groups based on race i guess.

I think a lot of asian people feel more strongly about getting a chink, gook, slant eye, whatever thrown at them, b/c the collective memory of racism is more recent than it is for a lot of white european immigrants. The terms are more loaded. I don't know all the reasons that is, but it is. Some people have said they feel comfortable calling their friends wops or dagos, but would you call your asian friend a chink or a gook?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you consider recent recollections, 20, 30 years ago? It may be different parts of teh country or something, but I think you are blowing it out of proportion by a factor of a million. Yes, your dad may have been called names in school, hell, these waspy types think it is hilaaaaaaaaarious to say wop/dago/etc but do you really think it is even anything to worry about, or even in teh same stratosphere as calling someone a N*****?

And all ethnicities have gangs w/ just your ethnic group, its not because they are racist, ie their soul purpose isnt to hate on the wops, micks, or chinks, its just that poor ethnics live in the same area, and identify w/ eachother, so they stick together, its not the same as racism.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:47 PM

Quids - remember Japan-bashing in the early 90s? Also, the problem with being Asian is 1) you're very recognizably Asian, what with the yellow skin and slanty eyes; 2) f'in crackers can't tell us apart.

So as China takes over the world I fully expect hostility towards all Asians in the US to increase and to be placed in an internment camp despite being Korean.

-Al
Old 08-07-2007, 07:56 PM

guids, I think you have a provincial and limited perspective about the distinctions between racism against blacks vs Asians vs Italians/Irish. It's a lot easier for light skinned, Eurotrash folks to assimilate. Dark skin, slanty eyes, or anything else that deviates from the European look always makes the exclusion that much tougher because as a minority, you can try to co-opt the customs, the language, etc but you can never escape that fundamental physical difference. That will always make it way more harsh when you are pointed out/excluded/discriminated against.

Honestly, feeling like an outsider is 90% mental -- meaning, you feel like an outsider when you carry yourself like an outsider -- but that other 10% of the time, when someone points out some stupid physical difference, it touches some special nerve that makes me want to consume planets and kick balls.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quids - remember Japan-bashing in the early 90s? Also, the problem with being Asian is 1) you're very recognizably Asian, what with the yellow skin and slanty eyes; 2) f'in crackers can't tell us apart.

So as China takes over the world I fully expect hostility towards all Asians in the US to increase and to be placed in an internment camp despite being Korean.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly, no I dont, what happened in the early 90s?