FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Asshole?
Yes! 23 74.19%
No! 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: I don\'t feel like waiting until tomorrow night- NFL POWER RANKINGS

Assani,
The Pats and Colts don't lose games stupidly because they are really good teams not because they have a magical ability to hit long FGs, field punts and recover fumbles and onside kicks.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember having this exact same argument last year regarding the Eagles and how they were losing games in which they outplayed their opponents. Do you think its just a total coincidence that they've done it again this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's just a coincidence.

You have a selective memory. You forget that every team loses games they should win, including the Pats, who (for example) lose to Miami way more often than they should.

Likewise, every team wins games that they probably shouldn't. Including the Eagles (more on that later).

You also seem to ignore that last year, I told you the variance would even out and the Eagles would stil win a lot of games. Which they did. And in all liklihood, they will do this year as well.

As for this year: the Eagles have only lost one game this year that they maybe should have won, the Green Bay game. That JR Reed and Greg Lewis muffed two punts has absolutely nothing to do with 2006 - in 2006, Greg Lewis was not returning punts and JR Reed wasn't even on the team.

It's just a coincidence.

Remember the Eagles-Panthers game last year? The Eagles sorta stole that game with a couple late scores, and still probably should have lost it at the end, but Lito Sheppard made a great play to get a pick in the endzone.

That's the type of game that the Eagles lose, right? You would expect Asante Samuel to make that pick for the Pats, but not the Eagles, right?

But it goes both ways. It's just variance. Don't have a selective memory.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe muffed punts in general aren't going to happen in the future. But over the past 2 years they've clearly shown the ability to make stupid plays that cost them games they should win. Honestly, have you not thought many times over the past few years "Damn, we really should've won that game"? How often do well coached and disciplined teams like the Pats, Ravens, Steelers, Titans, or Colts say that? Sure those teams may lose games, but they usually lose becuaase they were outplayed, not because they gave the game away.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about the Ravens losing to Cleveland and Cincinnati, two teams near the bottom of your rankings? How about last year the Steelers losing to Oakland and blowing their game against Atlanta because of three fumbles and a false start penalty by Washington costing them a chance at a game-winning FG? How about the Pats losing a game against Miami a couple of years back when they were up by like three TDs in the 4th quarter?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe muffed punts in general aren't going to happen in the future. But over the past 2 years they've clearly shown the ability to make stupid plays that cost them games they should win. Honestly, have you not thought many times over the past few years "Damn, we really should've won that game"? How often do well coached and disciplined teams like the Pats, Ravens, Steelers, Titans, or Colts say that? Sure those teams may lose games, but they usually lose becuaase they were outplayed, not because they gave the game away.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about the Ravens losing to Cleveland and Cincinnati, two teams near the bottom of your rankings? How about last year the Steelers losing to Oakland and blowing their game against Atlanta because of three fumbles and a false start penalty by Washington costing them a chance at a game-winning FG? How about the Pats losing a game against Miami a couple of years back when they were up by like three TDs in the 4th quarter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Assani forgot to add that good teams don't do that, except when he forgets that they do. Good teams just win games like the Dallas-Buffalo game - except when they don't, but we forget, because who cares when some scrub team wins?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:30 PM

Unless it's the Eagles losing. That's important. Unless they win, which is unimportant.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like everybody else, I think the Patriots are best team right now. But if we go by strength of schedule then Indy is the best and the Cowboys and NE are about even.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I mean, looking purely at wins and losses, sure, but when you factor in pretty relevant information, it becomes clear that the Pats have played better than the Colts, and in fact, you could make the argument that the Steelers have as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious as to what relevant info you're talking about?

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I dunno, points scored, points allowed. Yards gained, yards allowed. Silly stuff like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

UMMM...... WTF? If you play bad teams of course you are going to score more points and allow fewer points.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:37 PM

boris, I said my numbers were adjusted for SOS.