Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Apparently songs are worth $9250 each...Dumb Jury

[ QUOTE ]
It takes actual criminal intent to shoplift, while half the people who are downloading music and video on the internet don't even realize that it's illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

quoted so you cant edit it out

[ QUOTE ]
Of these two situations, what do you think is worse? A guy walks into a record store and steals 2-3 albums totaling maybe $20 in value. In the second one, a 15 year old kid goes on his mother's computer and downloads 50 songs off of limewire which would have cost him about $50 if he wanted to legally purchase the songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first guy. But, obv, just because action A is worse than action B, doesnt make B ok.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how dumb can people be? arhg reading this just puts me on stone cold ape tilt

how can anyone not admit it's stealing. i can at least respect those who are honest with themselves.

is sneaking into an art museum stealing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm aware that the government would consider it stealing and technically it might be. I'm more arguing that there are "degrees" of stealing and there is a major difference between stealing something from a store and downloading free music on the internet.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how dumb can people be? arhg reading this just puts me on stone cold ape tilt

how can anyone not admit it's stealing. i can at least respect those who are honest with themselves.

is sneaking into an art museum stealing?

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be trespassing. why would it be stealing?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:37 PM

As if it isn't obvious, I'm NOT arguing that downloading copywrited music on the internet isn't illegal. I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it is.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is illegal because the songs, movies, etc are copyrighed. Copyright law secures for the creator of a creative effort the exclusive right to control who can make copies, or make works derived from the original work. There's a pretty simple rule when it comes to the net. If you didn't write it, and you want to reproduce it, ask the creator otherwise don't copy it or put it on the net.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it "stealing" to record songs broadcast freely over the radio onto cassette tape?

Yeah, yeah, I haven't caught up with technology......but I also don't want the RIAA coming around to bust my balls for making mix tapes off of 97.5 FM.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As if it isn't obvious, I'm NOT arguing that downloading copywrited music on the internet isn't illegal. I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

How ridiculous what is? Again the woman tried to fight it knowing that it was going to cost her and she was going to lose. She is the ridiculous one IMHO.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is illegal because the songs, movies, etc are copyrighed. Copyright law secures for the creator of a creative effort the exclusive right to control who can make copies, or make works derived from the original work. There's a pretty simple rule when it comes to the net. If you didn't write it, and you want to reproduce it, ask the creator otherwise don't copy it or put it on the net.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it "stealing" to record songs broadcast freely over the radio onto cassette tape?

Yeah, yeah, I haven't caught up with technology......but I also don't want the RIAA coming around to bust my balls for making mix tapes off of 97.5 FM.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you don't give other people those tapes then you will be fine I believe.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's how normal people read the law, and how the RIAA does. To normal people, you are "time shifting", like a DVR (or VCR if you prefer). To the RIAA you are "stealing". In this case the RIAA view prevailed. The RIAA will never come after RedBean, if that helps.

Jennifer Pariser, the head of litigation for Sony BMG, testifying in Capitol Records, et al v. Jammie Thomas:
[ QUOTE ]

When an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song.

[/ QUOTE ]

To her, "fair use" is a four letter word.

In this case you have a woman who purchased cds, ripped them to her computer, and that's it. She didn't download the songs, she bought them, and nobody downloaded the songs from her. But they were on her computer, and in the RIAA world, "making available" is copyright infringement. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer an actual infringing copy is made before finding somebody liable for infringement.

Here's the $222,000 playlist (from wired):

* Guns N Roses "Welcome to the Jungle"; "November Rain"
* Vanessa Williams "Save the Best for Last"
* Janet Jackson "Let's What Awhile"
* Gloria Estefan "Here We Are"; "Coming Out of the Heart"; "Rhythm is Gonna Get You"
* Goo Goo Dolls "Iris"
* Journey "Faithfully"; "Don't Stop Believing"
* Sara McLachlan "Possession"; "Building a Mystery"
* Aerosmith "Cryin'"
* Linkin Park "One Step Closer"
* Def Leppard "Pour Some Sugar on Me"
* Reba McEntire "One Honest Heart"
* Bryan Adams "Somebody"
* No Doubt "Bathwater"; "Hella Good"; "Different People"
* Sheryl Crow "Run Baby Run"
* Richard Marx "Now and Forever"
* Destiny's Child "Bills, Bills, Bills"
* Green Day "Basket Case"
Old 10-06-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you don't give other people those tapes then you will be fine I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I have to take them out the truck when my brother borrows it to drive into town?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In this case you have a woman who purchased cds, ripped them to her computer, and that's it. She didn't download the songs, she bought them, and nobody downloaded the songs from her. But they were on her computer, and in the RIAA world, "making available" is copyright infringement.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the complete truth. The record companies accused Thomas of downloading the songs without permission and offering them online through a [censored] file-sharing account. Their witnesses, including officials from an Internet provider and a security firm, testified that the Internet address used by "tereastarr" belonged to Thomas. They were able to link this [censored] account to her IP address from her ISP. So did someone use her email address to take these songs and share them at her computer?