Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: The Official \"Tom Brady re-writes the record books in 2007\" Thread

Assani I'm going to be careful not to misquote you or anything here. With one exception I believe you were talking about the 2001 Pats not the 20001 Pats.

[ QUOTE ]
You guys: Pats got so lucky. They're not really that good.
Me: Ummmmm....ok

[/ QUOTE ]
You are correctly stating my argument that the 2000-2001 Pats weren't that great, but rather very lucky and a benefit or circumstance.

[ QUOTE ]

You guys: Brady has sick talent around him. Manning doesn't. Manning is better.
Me: Wasn't this the same team that everyone thought sucked before Brady came along?[

[/ QUOTE ]
No one argued Manning didn't have sick talent. The argument was that Brady didn't lead his team to the SB with worse weapons, it's that his weapons were different. Instead of having Marv/Reggie and Edge he had a top 5 defense.

As for your argument people thought they sucked before (I assume 2001). That means either
A) We are contradicting ourselves
or
B) The Pats improved substantially from 2001.
I can assure you I am not contradicting myself. I have two very distinct seperate arguments for each team.
2001: Luck
2004: Much improved for 2001 really good team.
Therefore you are either miststating or misunderstanding my argument or you are making the assumption the Pats didn't improve.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: The Official \"Tom Brady re-writes the record books in 2007\" Thread

so how hated would jordans bulls be in the internet/espn "expert" age?

seems like if we hadn't been subjected to the daily brady/pats felatio sessions for the last 6 years the pats wouldn't have created such a love/hate national fan base.

jordan had a couple of haters but even the haters would sit back, say damn and appreciate him back in the day. there is a huge populace that will never give brady the respect he deserves.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so how hated would jordans bulls be in the internet/espn "expert" age?

seems like if we hadn't been subjected to the daily brady/pats felatio sessions for the last 6 years the pats wouldn't have created such a love/hate national fan base.

jordan had a couple of haters but even the haters would sit back, say damn and appreciate him back in the day. there is a huge populace that will never give brady the respect he deserves.

[/ QUOTE ]
Brady is a very good QB but has only had two great seasons. Last year and the year before. This one looks like it will be his third.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:24 AM

Looks like? If he got injured on the first play of the next game he still HAD an amazing year. WTF.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like? If he got injured on the first play of the next game he still HAD an amazing year. WTF.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFRT.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true but who knows he has 9 games left to play [censored] happens. Also his stats this year are very good and he's having a great year but he has also played 3 of the worst defenses in the league, 2 well below average defenses, 1 average defense and 1 good defense. So his numbers are probably pretty inflated. He's obv still playing well but its highly unlikely he will continue at this pace.

Everyone saying that Brady >>>>> Manning
Do you realize that Peyton Manning has played 9 NFL seasons and in 5 of those he was the best player in the NFL?
In the other 4 seasons one was his rookie year and he had an okay season but not great.

The other 3 seasons he was 3-5th in the NFL.

He has had 8 seasons where he was one of the best 5 qbs in the league and 5 where he was clearly MVP.

Tom Brady on the other hand has had 4 seasons in the bottom half of the top 10 and two seasons in the top 2-3(behind manning). This year likely will be his third in the top 2-3 and a solid chance at #1 but Manning could catch him.

How is this even close? Manning is superior to Brady in every single category except for RIIIIIINNNNNNNGSSSS
Old 10-22-2007, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How is this even close? Manning is superior to Brady in every single category except for RIIIIIINNNNNNNGSSSS

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be close if the argument is made that Manning has long been surrounded by better talent. I don't know how you can control for that in the comparison, so I don't know how you answer that.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:29 AM

Manning up to last season showed up very small when it mattered. I still think its hard to say who is better, because Brady has the rings, and didnt have receivers or an RB really, and Manning has the numbers without the rings, with amazing receivers and RBs. I think it is a lot closer than you think Eagles.

Also, he has kept up to this pace through 7 games, I say there is no real indication that the offense is going to slow down any time soon. If ever.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:37 AM

Hoya,
It isn't close Manning has significant more offensive value than Tom Brady.

7 games is a small sample size and he played 1 above average defense. It is very likely his stats decline.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:02 AM

FWIW, playing the Patriots this early in the season will skew almost all defensive stats pretty badly.